DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Newest Nexus One Review on Endgadget

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid by Motorola
    @Extrapolateer now taking the advertising into account, what would have been interesting would have been Google finding a way to make this phone free (or at least cheap), supported through advertising. (though I guess then it would have to be under some sort of contract to ensure they pushed enough advertising to offset the cost of the device)
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    @Extrapolateer now taking the advertising into account, what would have been interesting would have been Google finding a way to make this phone free (or at least cheap), supported through advertising. (though I guess then it would have to be under some sort of contract to ensure they pushed enough advertising to offset the cost of the device)
    Good points. In addition, I suspect there would be a political price to pay if the phones were free. Competitors would not be happy. Probably not in Google's long-term interests to bite the hands that help make and market their phones.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid by Motorola
    Quote Originally Posted by Extrapolateer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    Good points. In addition, I suspect there would be a political price to pay if the phones were free. Competitors would not be happy. Probably not in Google's long-term interests to bite the hands that help make and market their phones.
    Wouldn't affect those that make the phones... they would still get paid, the consumer cost would just go down based on the ad revenue (much the same way phones are subsidized by contract now). So (in theory) somebody like VZW could pick up part of the subsidy based on what they make on contract, Google picks up a piece based on the ad revenue (with a constant rotating banner on the bottom of the phone), and the consumer would get a "free" phone.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Links