DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for ROMs?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Rooted Bionic

Recommendations for ROMs?

Hey guys,

I am relatively new to all of this, but was able to root my phone successfully this morning thanks to MotoCache1 and his awesome tutorial.

I am a little overwhelmed with all of the kernel and ROM versions out there. I was wondering if we could maybe hear some pros and cons for different ROMs that users currently have installed.

It looks like Bugless (peteralfonso) is pretty popular. Also, ChevyNo1's SS 4.7 seems to have a lot of interest. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Rich

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Motorola RAZR
    Everyone has there preference. Mine is SS 4.8 at the moment but you'll need to try some that intrest you. You'll find one that you like and will stick with it. Go to the Custom ROM section here in this fourm and try a few to see which one has the options you want. Each ROM has its unique features. Just depends which ones you want.

I am happy with ChevyNo1's SS 4.8 ROM. He is very on top of fixing bugs with his ROM pretty fast. But you could almost find that in any dev.

Kenrel: I am using ChevyNo1's 1.1 medV using setCPU. I am over clocking to 1.1 when fully charged but most of the time I just overclock to 800. My phone stays cool and does not get hot unless I am on the phone where there is low cell signal but all in all this kernal for me works great. You'll need to try them and see which one work for your phone the best as each phone act different. Since they are Droids they have a mind of their own....just that now they are free to do what they want....
    RAZR; ROM: ICS 4.0.4 Stock
    OG 1; ROM: ChevyNo1 SS 5.6 |
    Kernel: 1.0 lv
    1 Use RSDLite Correctly | 2 Root D1 any OS | 3 Unroot Froyo 2.2 | 4 SBF Root & Unroot | 5 RSDLite Error
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Premium Member
    my recommendation is: try them....all! sorry, i don't mean to be snide. but when it comes to getting recommendations for roms, everybody's recommendations are going to be colored by their personal preferences, personal loyalties, or whatever. also, most roms perform differently on each individual phone. the trick is to find the rom that has the features you like, and works the best on your phone. the only real way to do this is try 'em all out, and see how they "fit".

i've pretty much run all of them, and i can honestly say there isn't a "bad" rom out there - the dev'rs in this forum do some outstanding work!!! some roms work better on my phone than others, but that's the nature of the beast. and here's the kicker: you're rooted, and the beauty of being rooted is being able to flash whatever rom you want, whenever you want, as many times as you want - so why not try them all?! just be careful, it quickly becomes an addiction...

seriously, tho, there are two main things to remember when flashing roms: BACKUP and WIPE! also, i recommend that for flashing roms (especially roms), ROM Mgr isn't necessarily the optimal method. it can work fine, but it can also be a little buggy. for roms and themes, i always download to my PC, copy to my sdcard, and then install manually thru recovery.

here's the process i use, and it has worked every time (and i flash roms with some frequency):

1. backup your apps with TiBu (or thru Astro)
    2. create a backup/nandroid of your current rom (so you have something to fall back on if you experience any serious problems flashing a new rom)
    3. boot into recovery
    4. wipe data/factory reset
    5. wipe cache
    6. install rom zip from sdcard
    7. reboot
    8. IMPORTANT - let market completely download all your apps, and let it complete the process before flashing any themes, kernels, whatever
    9. boot into recovery
    10. flash theme (if you desire something other than stock)
    11. reboot
    12. boot into recovery
    13. flash kernel
    14. reboot
    15. enjoy!

good luck!!
    "Maybe you guys need a refresher course - it's all ballbearings nowadays!!" -- Fletch

"Goonga Galoonga...No - Goonga Lagoonga..." -- Carl, "Caddyshack"
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Chevy's SS is one of my favorites its fast and stable, but I'm sticking to my rom of choice, LithiumMod/watermark'D, loving it
    CM 6.1.2
    Stock Theme/ADW Launcher
    P3's 1.2ghz LV Kernal
    Quadrant 1709
    Next phone: TBA
  6. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    +1 for trying all or at least several!

Each phone handles the roms differently. Once you get use to adding a new rom and changing kernels it does not take long to switch.

Try one for a day or two. Make notes on what works well and does not. Then switch to another set. At the end of the trial you'll know what combo works best on your phone.

Mike
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Rooted Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by huskerkate View Post
    my recommendation is: try them....all! sorry, i don't mean to be snide. but when it comes to getting recommendations for roms, everybody's recommendations are going to be colored by their personal preferences, personal loyalties, or whatever. also, most roms perform differently on each individual phone. the trick is to find the rom that has the features you like, and works the best on your phone. the only real way to do this is try 'em all out, and see how they "fit".
    Well, yeah I figured everyone was going to have their own opinion, but that's what I wanted. I was hoping for some pros and cons and what people like about them. I mean after all, when you make an online purchase, don't you read reviews before accepting the transaction? BTW, thanks for the step by step on flashing ROMs. I'm going to have to take a better look at it because some of the steps didn't mean anything to me, mainly because I'm so new to this. But I'm sure it will be extremely helpful once I learn more of the terminology and processes involved.

Cheers!
  8. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Premium Member
    if you want personal preferences, here's mine:

1. Project Elite/LiQuID FroZeN YoGurT - on my phone, these perform the best in terms of speed, smoothness, and stability

2. LithiumMod/ShadowRom/CyanogenMod/Sapphire (these have added tweaks and customization options that are cool.)

3. BB v0.5/UD 8.0 (these have similar tweaks and customizations, but they just didn't run as well for me).

i didn't include Chevy's SS 4.8 or metiCkOne only because i haven't flashed them yet...

EDIT: yes, i generally read reviews, but that's only because i can't try it out for myself before buying
    Last edited by huskerkate; 09-28-2010 at 12:00 PM.
    "Maybe you guys need a refresher course - it's all ballbearings nowadays!!" -- Fletch

"Goonga Galoonga...No - Goonga Lagoonga..." -- Carl, "Caddyshack"
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I've been using UD for a while, but I'm trying out Project Elite for now. UD has more features, but Elite seems to run a bit faster. Haven't tried any of the others.
    Moto X
  10. Developer
    Member #
    Twitter
    @R3DMaNX
    Phone
    Verizon Razr Maxx
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Try all of them, but I recommend Ultimate Droid 8 and simply stunning 4.8 because they are best on features a stable. I try ALL roms to see what the devs improve but I stay loyal to Ultimate Droid, my phone just loves some BLACKDROID mod. Enjoy and good luck.

Sent from R3DMANX.COM/R3Ds
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Droid Charge
    Quote Originally Posted by huskerkate View Post

here's the process i use, and it has worked every time (and i flash roms with some frequency):

1. backup your apps with TiBu (or thru Astro)
    2. create a backup/nandroid of your current rom (so you have something to fall back on if you experience any serious problems flashing a new rom)
    3. boot into recovery
    4. wipe data/factory reset
    5. wipe cache
    6. install rom zip from sdcard
    7. reboot
    8. IMPORTANT - let market completely download all your apps, and let it complete the process before flashing any themes, kernels, whatever
    9. boot into recovery
    10. flash theme (if you desire something other than stock)
    11. reboot
    12. boot into recovery
    13. flash kernel
    14. reboot
    15. enjoy!

good luck!!
    What is required after this? I remember doing this once and I had to start all over in configuring my phone:
    1) Sign into google.
    2) Reconfigure all my programs (corperate exchange email)
    3) Redo sound preferences
    4) Bookmarks, etc
    5) Redo all my launcher shortcuts (this could have been avoided by doing an ADW backup and restore).

My apps did all reinstall. Is there any way around the above steps. I normally just backup and install update.zip over the top and pray for the best. If it doesn't work I have my backup. I've gone from Kangerade, to BB0.4, to LithiumMod, to UD8.0, to SS4.8 without ever wiping.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links