DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking the jump this weekend - need advice

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Taking the jump this weekend - need advice

Although I am very happy with my stock D1, I have gotten rooting fever and is not going away! I have decided to take the jump this weekend using Motocache's method.
    I have been reading all these threads (and all the developers threads) for a weak. For some reason I am attracted to BB and Chevy's ROM's, however I am wondering if I should be going with an FRG22D-based Rom (maybe CM or UD7?).
    I am not planning on experimenting too much with kernels (maybe stick with 800-1000) or themes (other than changing the notification bar and maybe fonts).
    A couple of questions:
    1. Is MotoCache's the best way to go about rooting?
    2. Would you recommend RomManager/Clockwork or stick with RSD Lite/SPRecovery?
    3. Would you skip non-FRG22D Roms?
    4.Anything else you would like to share/advice?
    Thanks a lot.
    P.S. I don't think I can live without Launcher Pro, and definitely cannot live without Swype!

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    GSM Galaxy S3 & GSM Note 2
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by donerico View Post
    Although I am very happy with my stock D1, I have gotten rooting fever and is not going away! I have decided to take the jump this weekend using Motocache's method.
    I have been reading all these threads (and all the developers threads) for a weak. For some reason I am attracted to BB and Chevy's ROM's, however I am wondering if I should be going with an FRG22D-based Rom (maybe CM or UD7?).
    I am not planning on experimenting too much with kernels (maybe stick with 800-1000) or themes (other than changing the notification bar and maybe fonts).
    A couple of questions:
    Thanks a lot.
    P.S. I don't think I can live without Launcher Pro, and definitely cannot live without Swype!
    Definitely go with SPRecovery, and stay away from Rom Manager. SP Recovery is hands down the most precise way to install things on your Droid 1, and while it's not as automated as using Rom Manager, it's easy enough to get a grasp of, and it doesn't suffer from the quirks that seem to plague RM.

My two-cents worth.

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    A couple of questions:
    Thanks a lot.
    Definitely go with SPRecovery, and stay away from Rom Manager. SP Recovery is hands down the most precise way to install things on your Droid 1, and while it's not as automated as using Rom Manager, it's easy enough to get a grasp of, and it doesn't suffer from the quirks that seem to plague RM.

My two-cents worth.

-Mike
    Thank you for the input. I have been thinking about UD8, how do you like it? Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to have it without a theme? all the screen shots I have seen show it mostly black. I would probably just want to use the wallpaper I have now with mostly transparent widgets and maybe change the appearance of the notification bar. Another thing I like is the ability to change fonts, would the alternate fonts also apply to widgets (for example launcher pro widgets)?. Is UD the only ROM that allows you to change fonts?
  5. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    i605/i9250/i515/XT862/A855
    Premium Member
    Completed rooting using MotoCache's method last week. Was one of the easiest things ive done technology wise. Just read step 10, a few hundred more times

1.Need to Flash a ROM? - Flashing ROM - Best Practices
    2.How-To Setup a ROM/MOD/Theme Thread with prefix - Setup ROM/MOD/Theme Thread
    3.Guidelines of Conduct on Droidforums.net - Guidelines of Conduct
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Eris to D1 to DX to Tbolt.
    I had my Droid 1 since November and I had to get a replacement because my power button failed. I had been rooted since then and I had to figure out how to root my phone again. I used easy root and it was exactly like the title, easy. I had to donate $.99, but I was well aware of the potentials from rooting, so it was money well spent.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by guidot View Post
    Completed rooting using MotoCache's method last week. Was one of the easiest things ive done technology wise. Just read step 10, a few hundred more times
    One thing I am not quite sure in step 10 is exactly when to press the Dpad UP key. IT says "On your phone the screen will change to "SW Update Complete" (unless the message has been changed by the person who built the SBF) and your phone will reboot within a second or two. You want to be already holding the dpad key up when the phone actually reboots." Does it mean right at the time the phone says SW update complete?
    Thanks
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    One thing I am not quite sure in step 10 is exactly when to press the Dpad UP key. IT says "On your phone the screen will change to "SW Update Complete" (unless the message has been changed by the person who built the SBF) and your phone will reboot within a second or two. You want to be already holding the dpad key up when the phone actually reboots." Does it mean right at the time the phone says SW update complete?
    Thanks
    Just rooted my d1 two days ago and it was super easy and step ten is not as complicated as it sounds. If your phone is completely stock now just perform the "press dpad up" key as soon as the "SW Update Complete" message comes on and hold it while the phone shuts down and reboots. Just be waiting and ready for that message to come up and if you by any chance do miss it you aren't risking anything as you'll just have to redo the steps again.

Rui
  9. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    i605/i9250/i515/XT862/A855
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Yes you just have to keep an eye on the phone and the pc. You want to be pressing up once the phones screen turns black (for the reboot) that way RSDLite will show PASS and then you can reboot into recovery.
    If you don't catch it you will boot into the OS and you will have to go through that step again.

I fouled up when you get into the custom recovery, I hit the camera button on reboot in the recovery screen before I flashed the update.zip!
    So I had to do 2 steps over!

1.Need to Flash a ROM? - Flashing ROM - Best Practices
    2.How-To Setup a ROM/MOD/Theme Thread with prefix - Setup ROM/MOD/Theme Thread
    3.Guidelines of Conduct on Droidforums.net - Guidelines of Conduct
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    Premium Member

My two-cents worth.

-Mike
    Thank you for the input. I have been thinking about UD8, how do you like it? Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to have it without a theme? all the screen shots I have seen show it mostly black. I would probably just want to use the wallpaper I have now with mostly transparent widgets and maybe change the appearance of the notification bar. Another thing I like is the ability to change fonts, would the alternate fonts also apply to widgets (for example launcher pro widgets)?. Is UD the only ROM that allows you to change fonts?[/QUOTE]

A quick reply: as far as I know, UD is the only rom that allows you to change fonts - although I've heard rumors that Woodyman is planning on adding that feature to the next version of Succulent Desire. However, you can change fonts via MetaMorph, so if that's something you want, it's doable.

-Mike

11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    In an effort to trim a rather long post, I messed up the sequence. Donrico was responding to my reply and asking a question that I gave an abbreviated response to. Sorry for the contextual confusion.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links