DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: best rom for battery life?

1. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    As you can tell there are a variety of results out there. I'm on Sapphire and find I take the phone off the charger at 5am, and right now, at 8pm it says 20% left on the battery. On some other roms I definitely had to plug in during the day or be out of juice. I've heard good battery life on a couple of roms but not leaving GPS and WIFI on all day when not needing those things has to help as well as good overclocking speed management.

Switching to other roms is easy. Go find their announcement install page and there should be screenshots and instructions. If instructions aren't there I'd ask for them before proceeding.

Always back up what you have now before flashing another rom or kernel.
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdroidman View Post
    can i get a rom that will allow me to listen to radio for 5 or 6 hours without draining the battery all of the way?
    I'd be happy with that.
    You're going to be hard pressed to find a ROM/kernel combination to do that, but one thing I didn't see mentioned (unless I overlooked it) is using the Profiles on SetCPU. The dev wouldn't have put that option in SetCPU if it wasn't useful. If you make a profile to where when the screen goes off you set the mhz to 125 min and max, I've found that drastically saved my battery life. Of course I'm not doing much with the phone while I'm at work, but for example, with my current set-up in my sig, I have the screen-off profile set as mentioned, and if I didn't listen to the radio, I can easily take the charger off at 6am and have about 70% left at the end of the evening (around 8pm). But, if I listen to talk radio on the way home, it'll go from 90% to 30% in an hour and a half. Granted, I have my normal SetCPU setting at 1000mhz max / 125mhz min, and since it's using Flash, the screen stays on constantly. I think I may try setting the max to 600mhz while listening to the radio and see how that works out, but Flash does chew up a decent bit of CPU power.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG DROID // HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by christim View Post
    As you can tell there are a variety of results out there. I'm on Sapphire and find I take the phone off the charger at 5am, and right now, at 8pm it says 20% left on the battery. On some other roms I definitely had to plug in during the day or be out of juice. I've heard good battery life on a couple of roms but not leaving GPS and WIFI on all day when not needing those things has to help as well as good overclocking speed management.

Switching to other roms is easy. Go find their announcement install page and there should be screenshots and instructions. If instructions aren't there I'd ask for them before proceeding.

Always back up what you have now before flashing another rom or kernel.

how much texting, calls, web, etc do you do? also what kernal does it have?
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I tried out a bunch of different ROMs before I ended up with UD extreme 3 and was happy to stay with UD from then on. I tried a bunch of different kernels from stock to Chevy to now P3 and I have found that using the profiles in setcpu to be at the lowest max and min and 20 priority while the screen is off, using Juice Defender to disable APN and Wifi while the screen is off, and making sure stuff like auto sync is turned off is the way to go for me. I do around 2000 minutes a month in calls and probably around twice as many texts with my job and also use the browser throughout the day to get to the internet. I can take my phone off my charger at 8 am and when I come home around 6 or 7 I am at 40% left. Some days it is worse but those days are when I am on the phone from 8 to 5 on calls or if I use the phone to listen to internet radio from 8 to 5.

Really the only way that you will be able to tell what works best for you is to try out different kernels and different setcpu profile settings. Every droid is different and what may work for me, may very well not work for you. I got my droid on Father's Day of this year if that helps any. I have heard of others that have a droid they bought 6 months ago that can run a 1.25 GHz kernel and one bought not too long ago that can't run a kernel higher than 800 Mhz. For the first 50% of my battery, when the screen is on I run mine OC'd at 1.25 Ghz and then step down once battery life goes down. It took me a while to find the right setcpu settings to get where I am today and even though it was a pain going through it, it was worth it to get the performance and life I have now.
    MOTO DROID
    ROOTED
    TUD 2.4.0
    Slayher 1.2 LV Kernel
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links