DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: How do I delete the car dock?

Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X

How do I delete the car dock?

I am running JRummys Kangerade v5.0.9 and have never been a huge fan of the car dock app that pops up every time I place my phone in its dock - is there any way that I can just delete it from my phone safely without messing anything up? I have gone in to Titanium Backup and the Car Dock 2.2 is listed twice in the app list and I've frozen both of them to prevent it from turning on which is working, but wasn't sure if that was the best solution - I was hoping that I could just delete it altogether. If I can, how would I go about doing that without screwing up my rom?

3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Every time I Install a new ROM, this is the first thing I do. I got so sick of the magnet in my case causing the Car Dock to launch, so I just removed the app and problem solved. I haven't run into any negative side-effects either.

adb root
    adb remount
    adb shell rm /system/app/CarDock.apk
    adb uninstall com.android.CarDock

I apologize, but don't remember the exact name of the CarDock app, but if you browse to /system/app using Astro you can view the name of the apk and the program.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by girlymissjulie View Post
    I am running JRummys Kangerade v5.0.9 and have never been a huge fan of the car dock app that pops up every time I place my phone in its dock - is there any way that I can just delete it from my phone safely without messing anything up? I have gone in to Titanium Backup and the Car Dock 2.2 is listed twice in the app list and I've frozen both of them to prevent it from turning on which is working, but wasn't sure if that was the best solution - I was hoping that I could just delete it altogether. If I can, how would I go about doing that without screwing up my rom?
    I've always followed this link from the Cyanogen wiki:
    Barebones - CyanogenMod Wiki

It gives directions on how to cleanly uninstall stock apps. Note that the car dock isn't listed here but I think that's because the wiki was made for an N1. Anyways, the app is listed as CarHomeGoogle.apk and/or CarHomeLauncher.apk in my system/app directory. I'm pretty sure neither are crucial, but you may get an error when you try docking. Just make backups to be safe.
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    Thank you so much for your help! One more question - and this may seem stupid, but I'm still learning - can I just go into Titanium Backup, backup the two car dock apps it shows, then choose uninstall right from Titanium Backup since that is an option that it gives me or does it have to be done through the terminal? And if I do uninstall them and it does mess something up, can I use Titanium Backup to reinstall/restore the apps?

BTW, does anyone know why there are 2 apps listed for the car dock in the list? My other Droid is running JRummys remix v0.7-CyanMod 5.0.6.2 and its only listed once in the iist there.

Links