DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cyanogenmod 5.0.8

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Hi,

Im new to installing roms on my moto droid. how long does it normally take to install a rom? everything seems to work properly but then the phone goes to the red eye loading screen that normally appears when the phone is starting up and this seems to take forever.

I was installing a blackdroid froyo beta earlier and it sat at this screen for about 15 mins so i pulled the battery and restored my recent backup.

now my phone appears to be doing the same thing with this rom. it has been at the red eye load screen for for about 5 to 10 minutes. its not frozen. the animation is still moving. does this normally take a while?
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by meb309 View Post
    Hi,

Im new to installing roms on my moto droid. how long does it normally take to install a rom? everything seems to work properly but then the phone goes to the red eye loading screen that normally appears when the phone is starting up and this seems to take forever.

I was installing a blackdroid froyo beta earlier and it sat at this screen for about 15 mins so i pulled the battery and restored my recent backup.

now my phone appears to be doing the same thing with this rom. it has been at the red eye load screen for for about 5 to 10 minutes. its not frozen. the animation is still moving. does this normally take a while?
    i must be doing something wrong as i was unable to install this rom as well. should i be selecting the option to wipe the cache when installing the rom? i assume this does not get rid of my backup.

mike
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    Hi,

Yes it can take a while to load when you first install (I don't know about 10 minutes though). Make sure to wipe data+cache before installing CM if you're coming from some other ROM (particularly a froyo one). Then just be patient as it's loading. I'd say if it sits on the eye for more than 15 minutes you've got a problem though.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by pdroid View Post
    Hi,

Yes it can take a while to load when you first install (I don't know about 10 minutes though). Make sure to wipe data+cache before installing CM if you're coming from some other ROM (particularly a froyo one). Then just be patient as it's loading. I'd say if it sits on the eye for more than 15 minutes you've got a problem though.
    You are correct! Thanks for your help! I cleared the data+cache before installing and it worked perfectly.

Now onto a slightly different topic, but still pertaining to this Rom - After loading the rom, I over clocked to 800mghz and the phone was quite fast initially. Then, after about a day, the phone seems to have slowed again. Has anyone else encountered this? Also, when overclocking, how much is too much? I'm hesitant to go to 1 ghz as I don't want to fry anything.

All of your advice is much appreciated.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1, Dont want any other.
    Well, I myself have had ROMs that were really fast slow down on me over time. not too sure why or if i even feel like fixing it.
    Anyway to answer ur question about overclocking. When u are overclocking the thing that u need to worry about isnt really the speed, but at what temperature ur phone is operating at. Look in the market for an app called tempmonitor. u can get the lite version, doesnt really matter all that much.

So, when overclocking, the higher u go, the more heat u are going to generate. By all means dont go about what u are comfortable with, but i will tell u that u most likely wont be able to fry ur phone. the max operating temp of the CPU is somewhere around 160F. i wouldnt let mine get over about 46c. or at the very most i will let it get to about 50c.(i know the different temp measurements are kinda confusing lol, sorry, i know im using 2 different ones.)

So what u will want to do is to go into ur 'setCPU and set up profiles, (these will also help save u a lot of battery) down at the bottom will be the failsafe one, its default is set to 50c. if u dont feel comfortable with it being that high, turn it down a lil bit. so pretty much it will keep track the temp and if it gets to, or exceeds that, it will go to its alloted frequency. i like to set my failsafe at 550mhz.

Now that the weather is hot u need to take that into account as well. yesterday i was running at 1Ghz and i noticed i was creeping up a bit high, so i turned it down to 600mhz and was completely fine.

Most droids are different. Some cant go higher than 1Ghz (like mine). so pretty much if u load up a new kernel to get more speed and u get stuck in a boot loop its because either its too high and the voltage isnt high enough, or the overclock is just too high. sometimes like with the last time i tried to go over 1ghz i ran at 1.2 for a little bit and then it ended up locking up on me and i had to bat pull.

OK! so now, in conclusion, running at 1ghz i would say is the highest u would ever need to go. and to me, its safe. but everyone has their own opinions on whats safe, and whats not. its up to u to decide. And i get about 15-19 hours of battery life when i have my phone set at 1ghz and all my profiles all nice and dialed in.

Hope this helped
    I'm scared to ever leave my OG Droid!
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    CM roms are among my favorite of all droid roms, I started out using BB and liked it a lot, then decided to give Chevys SS rom a try one day cause I was bored and my phone really worked with it a lot better which in turn made me enjoy the SS rom more...until I tried out CM 5.0.4.2, I loved having the functionality of CM and it was the most stable and smoothest out of the three, which is saying a lot cause SS roms are pretty snappy, I just can't wait til Froyo gets cyanogenmodded! Here's looking at you guys!
    CM 6.1.2
    Stock Theme/ADW Launcher
    P3's 1.2ghz LV Kernal
    Quadrant 1709
    Next phone: TBA
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Links