DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Droid 9.0.0. MAKE the switch trust me!!!

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid

Ultimate Droid 9.0.0. MAKE the switch trust me!!!

This is my review of Ultimate Droid 9.0.0 and ClockworkMod Recovery. I know I know there are many threads about BlackDroids latest monster but I feel obliged to voice my support for BlackDroid (and Koush w/Rom Manager & ClockworkMod Recovery).
    I've been running UltimateDroid's Roms for a while now and have always, since I rooted, used SPRecovery to install/backup everything. BlackDroids releases always got incrementally better every update included something new or fixed something from a previous release and the roms generally got faster. I have often switched to different roms for comparison sake but always ended up back with BlackDroid. Before putting 9.0 on yesterday I was running 8.6 and I loved it! It was fast, stable, and had several different ways to customize it! Having always used the nandroid or update.zip to install since I used SPRecovery I was very timid about switching to Clockwork. I had read up on it and there seemed to be issues getting back to SPRecovery and it sounded like it had bricking potential, especially to a relative noob (droid is my first Android) like myself. So I installed it using SPRecovery with the update.zip he put up. I followed the posted instructions and loaded it up salivating at what it would hold but........ It was never meant to be 9.0 install using SPRecovery just wouldn't work right for me. I never got any options to install and the update was unstable at best. It would reboot, was jittery, and jumpy and the only launcher was the Helix2 which I don't like.
    Making the jump. I knew this couldn't be right BlackDroid has always released great updates something had to be going wrong. I figured if BD and Cyan used CW than it couldn't be that bad right???? So I installed Rom Manager Premium. All I can say is WOW! This was easy! I can revert to stock ala DroidMod Updater, I can manage all my back ups from within the app, and I can flash back to SPRecovery if I need to! I downloaded UD9.0.0, went through all of my options during the install and it backed up my 8.6 and was installed in minutes! Now I had heard 9.0.0 was faster but I had come to expect everyone to say this after every rom update and think at times it purely psychological but hey if you believe it its as good as true. But this was ridiculous! BlackDroid this thing smokes! If you unrooted for the official 2.1 and have now missed this please kick yourself in the shorts now! My wifes phone has the official 2.1 and mine UD9.0.0 and it puts hers to shame! Seriously make the jump by ROM manager and support Koush for his hard work. And for god sakes download UD9.0.0 and donate to BlackDroid!!! These are some of the hardest working developers we have in our community and they deserve the props! Thanks BD and Koush hit me up if your in the Chicagoland area and I would love to buy you a drink sometime!

Thanks again,
    DroidHoff
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    9.0 is very nice have to agree
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid (ROOT)
    Ok.. My turn...

My name is harsh.. and I am a Droidaholic...

*Gods that was hard to do in front of all you people
    *Disclaimer: I tend to speak what pops in my head immediately when it happens. As a result when I type it, the idea sounds great.. more often than not I realize after the fact that I was incorrect or shoot down my own theories. Flaming me does no good as I most likely have done it myself already.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidHoff View Post
    This is my review of Ultimate Droid 9.0.0 and ClockworkMod Recovery. I know I know there are many threads about BlackDroids latest monster but I feel obliged to voice my support for BlackDroid (and Koush w/Rom Manager & ClockworkMod Recovery).
    I've been running UltimateDroid's Roms for a while now and have always, since I rooted, used SPRecovery to install/backup everything. BlackDroids releases always got incrementally better every update included something new or fixed something from a previous release and the roms generally got faster. I have often switched to different roms for comparison sake but always ended up back with BlackDroid. Before putting 9.0 on yesterday I was running 8.6 and I loved it! It was fast, stable, and had several different ways to customize it! Having always used the nandroid or update.zip to install since I used SPRecovery I was very timid about switching to Clockwork. I had read up on it and there seemed to be issues getting back to SPRecovery and it sounded like it had bricking potential, especially to a relative noob (droid is my first Android) like myself. So I installed it using SPRecovery with the update.zip he put up. I followed the posted instructions and loaded it up salivating at what it would hold but........ It was never meant to be 9.0 install using SPRecovery just wouldn't work right for me. I never got any options to install and the update was unstable at best. It would reboot, was jittery, and jumpy and the only launcher was the Helix2 which I don't like.
    Making the jump. I knew this couldn't be right BlackDroid has always released great updates something had to be going wrong. I figured if BD and Cyan used CW than it couldn't be that bad right???? So I installed Rom Manager Premium. All I can say is WOW! This was easy! I can revert to stock ala DroidMod Updater, I can manage all my back ups from within the app, and I can flash back to SPRecovery if I need to! I downloaded UD9.0.0, went through all of my options during the install and it backed up my 8.6 and was installed in minutes! Now I had heard 9.0.0 was faster but I had come to expect everyone to say this after every rom update and think at times it purely psychological but hey if you believe it its as good as true. But this was ridiculous! BlackDroid this thing smokes! If you unrooted for the official 2.1 and have now missed this please kick yourself in the shorts now! My wifes phone has the official 2.1 and mine UD9.0.0 and it puts hers to shame! Seriously make the jump by ROM manager and support Koush for his hard work. And for god sakes download UD9.0.0 and donate to BlackDroid!!! These are some of the hardest working developers we have in our community and they deserve the props! Thanks BD and Koush hit me up if your in the Chicagoland area and I would love to buy you a drink sometime!

Thanks again,
    DroidHoff
    I agree totally with your assessment of UD9.0, but not Clockwork. There are too many stories on these and other boards about people loosing SU permissions totally and a very, very common theme seems to be the use of Clockwork (not every time, but very often). I still think Clockwork is not as stable and sure as SpRecovery.

I bought the full version of Rom Manager and use it to load roms occasionally, but I immediately reinstall SpRecovery. YMMV!!
    Baton Rouge, LA
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Agree, I LOVE UD9.0!!!!

I don't understand how it works so well with ESE27, as I assume is a very outdated release.

None the less, I LOVE this release!
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by HarshReality View Post
    Ok.. My turn...

That's hilarious!
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidHoff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HarshReality View Post
    Ok.. My turn...

That's hilarious!

No....your "AVATAR" is hilarious!

hahahahaha
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouFlyFisher View Post

I agree totally with your assessment of UD9.0, but not Clockwork. There are too many stories on these and other boards about people loosing SU permissions totally and a very, very common theme seems to be the use of Clockwork (not every time, but very often). I still think Clockwork is not as stable and sure as SpRecovery.

I bought the full version of Rom Manager and use it to load roms occasionally, but I immediately reinstall SpRecovery. YMMV!!
    Time will tell I guess. Koush seems to push an update daily so I'm thinking that most of the early days problems have been worked out! SPRecovery is very dependable though!
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by grinchy View Post

No....your "AVATAR" is hilarious!

hahahahaha
    Yeah he's my hero! haha
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

I second Harsh!!!

I am a Droid-a-holic!!! My assessment... not that it matters... but here it is:
    UD9 is great, stable, and the options in the Rom manager during install was by far the most astonishing ever. REALLY!!! i used Nandroid for the longest time, and i still do, but the rom manager doesnt let you use it to its full ability without Clockwork. Luckily enough it lets you switch between both. <<< It just takes a little longer to swap between each, but o well, its a small price to pay for the warm and fuzzy it gives me to know that i have a back up for each recovery option. << overkill-i know. So, the options for the latest UD are awesome, right from the kernal type to themes, to even fonts on the screen. Sheer brilliance. It lets you choose everything... just like Burger king... have it your way.

I've made the switch to another ROM because of a few other observations. My buddy is on UD and he has 147Mb free. I have 237Mb with everything installed. And i'm more of a gadget freak than he ever will be. And I love scripts. Changing the boot animations is simpler as well as removing stock apps. UD lets you choose what apps to install from the Rom Manager.

so thats it...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links