DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the secret to easily getting things in order after a wipe and new ROM install?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

What's the secret to easily getting things in order after a wipe and new ROM install?

I've been rooted for awhile and I'm running the last 2.01 version of BB (I think it was 2.9 or something).

I did all my ROM updates using update.zip. I never wiped or did full nandroid restores - I always did the "no data loss versions".

I keep reading how people flip from ROM to ROM all the time and do full wipes and nandroid installs all the time. My question is, how do you get your phone back with your data and apps.

Before doing a ROM manager install today, I backed everything up through Ti backup. After I installed cyanogen, I got frustrated tring to get my phone back the way I wanted it. Restoring apps takes forever because even in batch mode TI Backup makes me click "INSTALL" and "DONE" for every app. 150 apps at even 30 seconds a pop thats well over an hour of hitting the same two stupid buttons over and over.

Also, I'd love to automatically get back my home screens (app the shortcuts, widgets, etc) in place without having to put everything back manually (though that isn't as big a deal).

So, frequent ROM updaters, what do you do? How do you get things restored to the way you want them?

Are there some secrets of tricks I'm missing?

btw, I wasn't crazy about cyanogen, but I'd like to go to BB 0.9 (or wait for 1.0). I gave up trying to set up cyanogen and restored my backup.
    Last edited by tdelet; 03-31-2010 at 01:39 PM.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Well, I usually just go through the process of reloading apps and whatnot. I use applist to save a list of apps to the SD so I can "remember" what I was using before. I usually don't reinstall everything I had been using.

But I've been using the BB 2.1 releases for some time now and each release builds upon the last so there is no need to wipe data.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid and Eris
    If you donate to titanium, you will no longer need to individually accept apps. As for home screens, I use helix launcher and all of my apps come through on its app data from titanium.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Iphone4 ; HTC Incredible
    I use the combo of Titanium Backup and My Backup Pro.

I use My Backup Pro to save only call log, sms, and mms because this data is ever evolving and you can schedule it to run daily and set a limit to the number of backups it saves.

I use Titanium because it has 1 touch backup AND 1 touch restore for apps and data(1 touch restore is a feature in the paid version)

Titanium will even restore your home layout (you will have to reload the widgets tho)
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Droidfish View Post
    I use the combo of Titanium Backup and My Backup Pro.

I use My Backup Pro to save only call log, sms, and mms because this data is ever evolving and you can schedule it to run daily and set a limit to the number of backups it saves.

I use Titanium because it has 1 touch backup AND 1 touch restore for apps and data(1 touch restore is a feature in the paid version)

Titanium will even restore your home layout (you will have to reload the widgets tho)
    Titanium can backup your call log, sms, mms as well...
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I just do a complete backup with mybackup pro. it saves everything and only takes about 5 minutes to restore upon a fresh install of a rom.
    And it has a schedule feature that backs up everything every night... so if anything ever happens, im only out of one full days worth of data at the absolute most
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Iphone4 ; HTC Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal2000H View Post
    p your call log, sms, mms as well...
    Yea I know, but I have my backup pro set to backup these 3 things every night for easy retrieval. I only do full app+data back ups maybe once a week, the new apps I download I just backup individually in titanium(they are still added to the larger backup file).

This way as long as I'm willing to sacrifice any texts or calls from that given day I don't have to sit thru any backups when I want to flash my phone. It saves me about ten minutes, each time I flash, which can sometimes be several times a day.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    i just use backup pro for my apps and my data... i have titanium as a backup incase my backup pro doesnt work for some reason... which it always does. but it helps me sleep at night! haha why dont you just use my backup pro for everything? it does apps and data and it can be set as part of your daily backup sched...
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha83 View Post
    i just use backup pro for my apps and my data... i have titanium as a backup incase my backup pro doesnt work for some reason... which it always does. but it helps me sleep at night! haha why dont you just use my backup pro for everything? it does apps and data and it can be set as part of your daily backup sched...
    What does mybackup pro give you that titanium doesn't?
    A backup schedule? But since you're doing manual backups with titanium, is there a point to a schedule?
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Iphone4 ; HTC Incredible
    Titanium has 1 touch restore apps+data and my backup pro has scheduling I use both of these features all the time so I keep both of these apps around.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links