DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which ROM is right for me? What I want is...

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Which ROM is right for me? What I want is...

(1) Overclocked Droid to at least 1.0 Ghz.
    (2) Wireless tethering
    (3) Retain all my contacts from my stock 2.0.1 firmware

I don't care about fancy-schmancy stuff like live wallpapers, custom themes, or other nonsense. All I want is the phone to be as smooth as possible. Hell, I think that the stock firmware is extremely smooth. Never once had it lock up on me or become jittery. I'm debating whether or not I should "upgrade" at all, but I do really want the capability of wireless tethering.

BTW, how do you guys retain your contacts when going from a stock firmware to a new ROM? I believe most ROM's have you perform a wipe, which will erase the contacts.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droooooid
    im pretty sure you can o/c and get wireless tethering from any rom. as for your contacts, they should be backed up to google so they would sync wight down to your phone
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I would say go with DroidMod... because it will let you pick and choose all the things it is going to install for you.
    "Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Premium Member
    Just root install and install the apps you want. they do not need roms.. download wifitether APK and installl chevy/adams kernal and set cpu from market and walla.. you have a rooted phone with what you want and stock setup on home screens

contacts through google tittanium backup covers the rest (if you have to perform wipe)
    Last edited by justin82; 03-19-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Razr maxx
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Premium Member
    oh dont forget to flash recovery on there

Just follow these steps in this thread just skip the bugless beast part

Complete How-To on How to Mod Your Phone (2.1 ROM, O/C, MM, Boot Animation, etc)
    Last edited by justin82; 03-19-2010 at 11:58 AM.
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Razr maxx
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Nokia flip phone
    I'm running CyanogenMod, I'm about to check out Petes New Bugless Beast just to try his Custom Script. If you have no idea about which ROMS are out then I would suggest either DroidMod or Ultimate Droid ...Personal Opinion really..Good luck
  8. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Twitter
    @titans_df
    Phone
    Incredible
    Premium Member
    If you are really happy with the stock speed as it seems you are then you dont even have to root. Just get pdanet from the market for tethering.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid + CyanogenMod 5.0.6.2
    Root, flash recovery, flash adamz low voltage kernal and stay stock basicly :P if you really want to try a rom though I would go with Bugless Beast ESE53 0.9
    For Android news, updates, links to roms and more check out http://www.tekhawk.com

And for news on my future Launcher themes once I find the time to start theming them again.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid X Rooted
    Quote Originally Posted by dmt316 View Post
    im pretty sure you can o/c and get wireless tethering from any rom. as for your contacts, they should be backed up to google so they would sync wight down to your phone
    yes any rom u can oc and use wireless tethering chevys or petes r great and very smooth, and u can use chevys oc kernal on either
    follow me on twitter @3083joe
    www.twitter.com/3083joe
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by s54 View Post
    (1) Overclocked Droid to at least 1.0 Ghz.
    (2) Wireless tethering
    (3) Retain all my contacts from my stock 2.0.1 firmware

I don't care about fancy-schmancy stuff like live wallpapers, custom themes, or other nonsense. All I want is the phone to be as smooth as possible. Hell, I think that the stock firmware is extremely smooth. Never once had it lock up on me or become jittery. I'm debating whether or not I should "upgrade" at all, but I do really want the capability of wireless tethering.

BTW, how do you guys retain your contacts when going from a stock firmware to a new ROM? I believe most ROM's have you perform a wipe, which will erase the contacts.
    Only if they are a nandroid file do they require that to happen. Simply create a backup, restore the nandroid file of the rom, then restore JUST THE DATA from your backup you created before the rom.

Some roms have a update.zip file which is easier to do but you can't go from a 2.0.1 rom to a 2.1 rom using the update.zip ... you have to do nandroid.

Bugless Beast v0.8 with Chevy's 5 slot 1.2ghz kernel is my favorite setup ... not really sure what kernels have 1ghz but there are 10 slot kernels that have it in there.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links