DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which ROM is right for me? What I want is...

1. Banned
    Member #
    Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bugless Beast 2.1 ROM @ 1.1GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by korp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by s54 View Post
    (1) Overclocked Droid to at least 1.0 Ghz.
    (2) Wireless tethering
    (3) Retain all my contacts from my stock 2.0.1 firmware

I don't care about fancy-schmancy stuff like live wallpapers, custom themes, or other nonsense. All I want is the phone to be as smooth as possible. Hell, I think that the stock firmware is extremely smooth. Never once had it lock up on me or become jittery. I'm debating whether or not I should "upgrade" at all, but I do really want the capability of wireless tethering.

BTW, how do you guys retain your contacts when going from a stock firmware to a new ROM? I believe most ROM's have you perform a wipe, which will erase the contacts.
    Only if they are a nandroid file do they require that to happen. Simply create a backup, restore the nandroid file of the rom, then restore JUST THE DATA from your backup you created before the rom.

Some roms have a update.zip file which is easier to do but you can't go from a 2.0.1 rom to a 2.1 rom using the update.zip ... you have to do nandroid.

Bugless Beast v0.8 with Chevy's 5 slot 1.2ghz kernel is my favorite setup ... not really sure what kernels have 1ghz but there are 10 slot kernels that have it in there.
    You can't nandroid in the data from a 2.01 ROM to a 2.1 in my experience. I tried that just for the heck of it on Bugless Beast when his 2.1 rom first came out and had about 27 force closes before I could even get into the OS.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by Matth3w View Post
    You can't nandroid in the data from a 2.01 ROM to a 2.1 in my experience. I tried that just for the heck of it on Bugless Beast when his 2.1 rom first came out and had about 27 force closes before I could even get into the OS.
    Really? Worked fine for me when I went from the 2.0.1 version to v0.7 (2.1). The only thing I have seen fc's on is trying to use helixlauncher2 so I just use the helixlauncher.
  3. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droidzilla
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    As long as you wipe, you can.

There really isn't that much difference than a nandroid backup and an update.zip, other than a nandroid can include more partitions.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I'd go with Droid Mod. Simply because it has what you want and it is one of the most stable (if not the most). And it's ease of installation can't be beat.
  5. Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodes View Post
    I'd go with Droid Mod. Simply because it has what you want and it is one of the most stable (if not the most). And it's ease of installation can't be beat.
    What makes it more stable than the zero force closes I've had on Bugless Beast? Any ROM that doesn't use the ported 2.1 launcher2 is pretty much stable unless you start trying to overclock or use voltages that your phone can't handle, and even then that isn't the ROM's stability.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I said it was ONE of the most stable. Though some people would argue that it is the most stable. For the OP he sounds new to rooting. For the ease of installation Droid mod gives you the stability can't be beat. Not saying BB isn't stable but its a little more involved n installation.
  7. Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    How involved an installation is has absolutely nothing to do with its stability. You seem to be arguing for ease of installation, which I would agree. I would also agree that DM is a pretty easy way to install something you know nothing about, making it difficult to troubleshoot issues.

But as far as stability goes, it has absolutely nothing to do with stability.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    All I was meaning was that Droid mod has everything he wants, is incredibly easy to get going, and as a plus its one of the more stable ROMs.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid + CyanogenMod 5.0.6.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodes View Post
    All I was meaning was that Droid mod has everything he wants, is incredibly easy to get going, and as a plus its one of the more stable ROMs.
    DM is stable yes but it also runs hotter and slower then 2.1 roms normally will
    For Android news, updates, links to roms and more check out http://www.tekhawk.com

And for news on my future Launcher themes once I find the time to start theming them again.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid.
    Just saying, all 3 of those have nothing to do with the Rom
    1.) Kernel
    2.) Kernal again, and an app
    3.) Your contacts are synced from your gmail, no need for a ROM

Go get:
    1.) Google dmupater, the first link will give you a link to the download somewhere. Install it with Astro File Manager
    2.) Use it, follow instructions until you get rooted and it installs the recovery
    3.) Follow instructions for Bugless Beast 0.9
    4.) Dowload a kernal from ChevyNo1's kernel thread, whatever is stable and fast.
    5.) Download the lastest version from http://code.google.com/p/android-wif...downloads/list, install with Astro

Congrats
    Last edited by demon69120; 03-23-2010 at 05:35 PM.
    Serious Droid fanboy against all iPhones.
    Droid Does... iDon't?
    Droid owner since... March

Droid OCed to 1.3 GHz With JIT enabled - 15.9 MFLOPS in Linpack.
    Cynogenmod 5.0.5.7 & Bekit 1.2 GHz Low Voltage (Thanks!)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links