DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how is nandroid different after i flashed ese53 with the sbf?

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2

Question how is nandroid different after i flashed ese53 with the sbf?

i used the sbf to go to 2.1, then i rooted and installed sprecovery
    does this change anything when using nandroid? or can i still flash any nandroid rom? do they have to be 2.1 roms? is it any different than just flashing a rom on 2.0.1?
    also, is it a bad idea to use the sbf to go to 2.1 like i did? its running really nice, but would it be a good idea to go back to 2.0.1, the do a nandroid to bb 2.1?
    thanks

edit: really what my question is- can i go flash-happy on this flashing nandroids. the main one i want to konw about is when the senseui rom comes out it will probably be a nandroid, will that nandroid play nicely with the 2.1 files that were installed when i flahsed with the sbf?
    Last edited by tktouch12; 03-07-2010 at 10:25 PM.
    got eris: 12/24/09
    returned eris: 12/28/09
    got droid: 12/31/09
    rooted droid: sometime in january (right after it was released (manually))
    bb->2.1 sbf->desire rom> 2.1bb> 2.2
    got incredible as warranty replacement 8/31/10
    shattered inc screen 9/25/10-> got insurace replacement 10/4/10
    broke inc screen 10/19/10-> got warranty replacement 10/22/10
    got moto droid 1 off ebay 1/7/11
    broke inc screen 5/26/11-> got insurance replacement inc2 5/27/11
    sold inc2 & bought vzw 16gb iphone 4 6/9/11
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID .rwar.
    Quote Originally Posted by tktouch12 View Post
    does this change anything when using nandroid? or can i still flash any nandroid rom? do they have to be 2.1 roms? is it any different than just flashing a rom on 2.0.1?
    also, is it a bad idea to use the sbf to go to 2.1 like i did? its running really nice, but would it be a good idea to go back to 2.0.1, the do a nandroid to bb 2.1?
    thanks
    I wouldn't think nandroid would be any different between the versions considering most of the 2.1 ROMs require you to use a nandroid backup to get to 2.1 from 2.0.1.

nandroid makes a complete image of the different files, so essentially you are making a custom image based on what's on the phone.

I'm not sure how the update.zip ROM flashes work exactly, but it seems they need you to be flashed to the new version. I don't think the update.zip versions effect the system files the way the nandroid install versions do.

I haven't personally attempted to use a nandroid backup to go back to 2.0.1, but in theory it seems like it would work. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong.

If you've used the sbf file to flash to 2.1, you could, I'm assuming, use the sbf file to flash back to 2.0.1 if push came to shove.

I'm going to go see if I can use my 2.0.1 nandroid backup, I'll be back when I'm done.
    I had a nice signature, but the mean ate it.
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    Yeah you can flash a 2.0.1 nandroid from 2.1...it's literally not any different than what we have been doing the past couple months with the crappy 2.1

And nerdbox, an update.zip *does* effect the system files just in a different method. system.tar and boot.img are located in an update.zip just like in a nandroid. But, there are other files in there, like META-INF, and script files, that run commands to mount /system and format /system and all that good stuff lol The commands are already placed in there in a way that the phone reads them, and uses the files contained within the package to act out the commands...

4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    is there really any disadvantage to using the sbf over nandroid? besides the possibility of killing your phone, but how big of a concern is that?
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Quote Originally Posted by natediddy1120 View Post
    Yeah you can flash a 2.0.1 nandroid from 2.1...it's literally not any different than what we have been doing the past couple months with the crappy 2.1

And nerdbox, an update.zip *does* effect the system files just in a different method. system.tar and boot.img are located in an update.zip just like in a nandroid. But, there are other files in there, like META-INF, and script files, that run commands to mount /system and format /system and all that good stuff lol The commands are already placed in there in a way that the phone reads them, and uses the files contained within the package to act out the commands...
    so if i were to nandroid to a 2.0.1 rom (never ever ever would) would there even be a way to know i was originally on the 2.1 sbf? or nothing really changes but deep deep radio/system files?
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID .rwar.
    is there really any disadvantage to using the sbf over nandroid? besides the possibility of killing your phone, but how big of a concern is that?

I did just successfully go back to 2.0.1 Smoked Glass, then went back to 2.1 Ultimate.

I don't think there is a disadvantage perse, I think you lose your data too, but usually when you want to do all this you should be starting fresh.

I read of one instance someone actually broke a phone with sbf... It's all experimental to an extent for anyone who doesn't do these things for a living or learned enough to make a ROM. Basically we are trusting in these methods and hoping it works out correctly. Hell, we could just as easily break our phone by dumping it down a toilet... :P
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Nokia flip phone
    thanks
    This is the way that I want to do it, I've been having force closes, random boot looping, etc. I know it could be all in my head, but I think it's from all the rom jumping I've been doing and all the other patches I've done. I am currently running BB V0.6, with chevys1.2 kernel, an update.zip for the smoke notification bar, MM theme for the smoke Launcher, and the desire theme via MM, for other smoke applications. My question here is, Did you have to call verizon to hook the device back up? What procedures did you take to run the files. Thanks
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID .rwar.
    Quote Originally Posted by natediddy1120 View Post

So nate, why won't the update.zips work? That's what I can't seem to understand, but that probably because I don't know this as well as you and the other devs do.

Edit: Just to clarify, I understand update.zip changes system, but like I said, I think it's in a different way than the nandroid. I get the information gets to it, but not the same route?
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLaDrOiD View Post
    thanks
    This is the way that I want to do it, I've been having force closes, random boot looping, etc. I know it could be all in my head, but I think it's from all the rom jumping I've been doing and all the other patches I've done. I am currently running BB V0.6, with chevys1.2 kernel, an update.zip for the smoke notification bar, MM theme for the smoke Launcher, and the desire theme via MM, for other smoke applications. My question here is, Did you have to call verizon to hook the device back up? What procedures did you take to run the files. Thanks
    i did it to start fresh also. you just hit the activate button when the phone turns on (like when you first got it) and it does it all for you. its pretty simple to do, but it was really scary because it kept getting stuck, and i've used rsdlite before
  10. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone