DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: *Warning* O/C @1000Ghz+

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid/Sholes 2.0.6 @ 1200Mhz

Angry *Warning* O/C @1000Ghz+

For all those out there who have over clocked your droid i have a tale of caution for you. This has now happened to me twice.

In the evening i aways plug in my droid and use it as my alarm clock. A few days ago though, i woke up to my alarm clock going off as usual. When i went to pick up my phone to turn off the alarm however, my phone was EXTREMELY hot. Hot to the point were it hurt when i picked it up. It was also completely unresponsive, i could not turn off the alarm, or do anything, i immediately did a battery pull and waited it out, all was fine in the end. At the time i had my droid over clocked at 1000 and though nothing of it.

A day passes and it leaves my mind. I even changed my clock speed to 1200 as i had heard no real complaints about that speed.

This morning i wake up to something similar, but to even make the problem worse, my phone had fallen on the ground last night, and i guess i tossed off a pillow in the middle of the night as well, as it was on top of the phone when i woke up (guess it held the heat in)...

The alarm had been going off for quite some time, and when i got my phone out from underneath the pillow, it was even hotter then the other morning. It was VERY hot, and the screen looked funny. I did a battery pull again, but it would not come back on. The phone was fried.

YES i was using the stock charger that came with the phone and not a cheap aftermarket charger. I have had the phone since Nov, with no other issues. I was running Sholes 2.0.5 @ 1200Mhz.

I talked to a buddy of mine who had something similar happen to him, and it was only at speeds > 1000.

So a warning to all who is out there, Over clock above 1000 at YOUR OWN RISK.

-Dubya

:edit: 1000Ghz is suppose to be 1000Mhz... sorry for the typo
    If you see the ninja you are rooted.

3. dbu
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by r-dubya View Post
    For all those out there who have over clocked your droid i have a tale of caution for you. This has now happened to me twice.

In the evening i aways plug in my droid and use it as my alarm clock. A few days ago though, i woke up to my alarm clock going off as usual. When i went to pick up my phone to turn off the alarm however, my phone was EXTREMELY hot. Hot to the point were it hurt when i picked it up. It was also completely unresponsive, i could not turn off the alarm, or do anything, i immediately did a battery pull and waited it out, all was fine in the end. At the time i had my droid over clocked at 1000 and though nothing of it.

A day passes and it leaves my mind. I even changed my clock speed to 1200 as i had heard no real complaints about that speed.

This morning i wake up to something similar, but to even make the problem worse, my phone had fallen on the ground last night, and i guess i tossed off a pillow in the middle of the night as well, as it was on top of the phone when i woke up (guess it held the heat in)...

The alarm had been going off for quite some time, and when i got my phone out from underneath the pillow, it was even hotter then the other morning. It was VERY hot, and the screen looked funny. I did a battery pull again, but it would not come back on. The phone was fried.

YES i was using the stock charger that came with the phone and not a cheap aftermarket charger. I have had the phone since Nov, with no other issues. I was running Sholes 2.0.5 @ 1200Mhz.

I talked to a buddy of mine who had something similar happen to him, and it was only at speeds > 1000.

So a warning to all who is out there, Over clock above 1000 at YOUR OWN RISK.

-Dubya

:edit: 1000Ghz is suppose to be 1000Mhz... sorry for the typo

Ummmmm yeah... That's what the profiles and the governors are for.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID BIONIC
    Thats kind of crazy keeping it at 1200 while its being charged. Why not set a profile in setcpu for a lower clock speed when it charging?
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID .rwar.
    Did you use your profiles to under clock while in the charger?
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Yea, at night mines runs at 250mhz MAX and temps stay below 26c yet I'm OC to 1200mhz. I rarely see my temps go over 45c. Throwing your pillow over an overclocked droid would for sure do the job.

If you're violent towards alarm clocks in the morning, I'd advise NOT to use your $700 Droid as an alarm clock. Go to walmart for that and get a cheapo alarm clock...
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2.0.1
    I'm running 250-1200mhz range with the conservative setting and a 45C fail safe. it runs awesome and has never exceeded 45C that I am aware of.

is the stock droid running at 550mhz at all times or is it a range, like we use with SetCPU?
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Adamz new smoked glass version 4.5 updated today had a new kernal that has a lot of new tweaks, including voltage fix's with new overclocking options.. i flashed it today and it runs cooler and a ton smother.. check it out..

AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Smoked Glass v4.5 - Custom Boot.img *Updated 2/19*

this is a quote from that page, "I apologize for pulling a disappearing act the last week... I've been hard at work on compiling this kernel (boot.img) as well as a few other things that aren't quite complete yet... I really hope you enjoy the kernel... it runs very fast and gives you MUCH more control over your speed - as well as trying to use lower voltages to keep the battery consumption down. It also, of course, has all the other trimmings that you would expect... "
    Last edited by ibnetman; 02-19-2010 at 05:37 PM.
  9. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    closed up.......

r-dubya please don't cross post in forums. It creates a lot of clutter.

ongoing discussion can be followed here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...c-1000mhz.html

Thank you

Links