DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2.1 Leaked

1. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Premium Member
    I have been contacted by a member here requesting this be reopend. So It is. Please remeber this isn't a full rom and to try to keep it on topic
    Sometimes , It is what it is !
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Motorola Droid OTA Android 2.1 update [Video] |

i think he includes a zip file. i haven't tried it
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID 3
    sweet. hopefully since Pete and others have got their hands on it they can make a nice stable, rooted 2.1 ROM. I'm really hoping the multitouch browser on it is less laggy than the one we have now. And does this one have the 2.1 launcher, or has it been confirmed that it uses the old launcher for 2.0.1?
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID 3
    well after watching the actual video, looks like old 2.0.1 launcher with only 3 screens. Kind of sucks, but with root that is easily fixable. As long as the thing has all the 2.1 APIs, the official multitouch browser, and multitouch gallery I don't care about anything else.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader DJ View Post
    sweet. hopefully since Pete and others have got their hands on it they can make a nice stable, rooted 2.1 ROM. I'm really hoping the multitouch browser on it is less laggy than the one we have now. And does this one have the 2.1 launcher, or has it been confirmed that it uses the old launcher for 2.0.1?
    Did you watch the video? No 2.1 launcher.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    No launcher, no point IMO. I'll stick with sholes...err DroidMod for now.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid - Verizon
    I believe it's either a leak of what was supposed to possibly be ota'd on jan 22 or it could be what moto had ready and yanked after the backlash, I don't know. But reading alldroid it appears pete has had this for a few days, problem is that it's a legit(well kinda) 2.1 so he lost root, thus he can't pull certain things out of his phone. that leaked zip is just a /system dump but there is no /bin or boot.img and a few other things which he can't pull off since he doesn't have root.... unless that's changed since i last saw?

might be helpful for some of the rom devs, but hmm I don't know. by the time things get all nice and stable the real 2.1 ota will prob be coming anyways... and I'm guessing that since they yanked the update when they were about to ota it prob from the complaining that launcher and live papers are probably being added in? *shrug* still cool though.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID 3
    Quote Originally Posted by LrdElderon View Post
    I believe it's either a leak of what was supposed to possibly be ota'd on jan 22 or it could be what moto had ready and yanked after the backlash, I don't know. But reading alldroid it appears pete has had this for a few days, problem is that it's a legit(well kinda) 2.1 so he lost root, thus he can't pull certain things out of his phone. that leaked zip is just a /system dump but there is no /bin or boot.img and a few other things which he can't pull off since he doesn't have root.... unless that's changed since i last saw?

might be helpful for some of the rom devs, but hmm I don't know. by the time things get all nice and stable the real 2.1 ota will prob be coming anyways... and I'm guessing that since they yanked the update when they were about to ota it prob from the complaining that launcher and live papers are probably being added in? *shrug* still cool though.
    I'm hoping that is the reason why the official OTA was delayed. I don't care about the new launcher and animated wallpapers, but that is the most visable change for 2.1, so I understand people being upset, and I understand Motorola delaying it so they can get them working. I had heard the problem was that since the Nexus uses Snapdragon, and Snapdragon is an all in one CPU and GPU that just porting it over without accounting for the differences between the two phones (Droid has a discrete GPU) doesn't work well (evidenced by the slow 2.1 launcher ports that we have).

So if Motorola is taking some type to actually code the new launcher so it works right, good for them. But I think the problem is more Verizon being its typical slow, controlling self and they are testing this thing into oblivion.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid - Verizon

I'm hoping that is the reason why the official OTA was delayed. I don't care about the new launcher and animated wallpapers, but that is the most visable change for 2.1, so I understand people being upset, and I understand Motorola delaying it so they can get them working. I had heard the problem was that since the Nexus uses Snapdragon, and Snapdragon is an all in one CPU and GPU that just porting it over without accounting for the differences between the two phones (Droid has a discrete GPU) doesn't work well (evidenced by the slow 2.1 launcher ports that we have).

So if Motorola is taking some type to actually code the new launcher so it works right, good for them. But I think the problem is more Verizon being its typical slow, controlling self and they are testing this thing into oblivion.
    you could very well be right about the cpu issues I'm not sure. I was under the impression that our gpu is actually faster then the snaps just that it has pure brute cpu force to give it performance. if we had and we do have equal speed chips when overclocked we seem to beat them. I haven't really read much about the snap dragon as the n1 is not coming to verizon for awhile. but might be worth read up on. =) That chips by qualcomm right? finding OMAP chip info on the TI website makes me want to /jump off a bridge. so frustrating.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID 3

you could very well be right about the cpu issues I'm not sure. I was under the impression that our gpu is actually faster then the snaps just that it has pure brute cpu force to give it performance. if we had and we do have equal speed chips when overclocked we seem to beat them. I haven't really read much about the snap dragon as the n1 is not coming to verizon for awhile. but might be worth read up on. =) That chips by qualcomm right? finding OMAP chip info on the TI website makes me want to /jump off a bridge. so frustrating.
    I think the discrete GPU in the Droid makes it at least close to raw performance of the Snapdragon, it's just a difference in coding. Best thing about Droid hacking and rooting is that the Droid CPU can run at 1GHz while still having that discrete GPU, bringing the best of both worlds...
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Links