DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: [ROM .tgz] Sholesmod 2.0.0 B¡tchin' Bægel!

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    If you decide to install another ROM, install SPRecovery first!!!!!

SPRecovery is included in the SMupdater, but if you do another ROM, then you will need to do it yourself

2. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    _Flomaster
    Phone
    DROOOOOOOOOOOiid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supahrob View Post
    Ok, I am thinking of Rooting and installing a custom ROM... but (of course) I am nervous about destroying my phone.

I am currently running the stock 2.01 ROM, not rooted. I see some ppl saying this SMUpdater is the greatest thing since coffee, and others saying it causes lots of problems. Finally I saw someone say that it seems to work fine for those who are ALREADY rooted, but causes problems for those who use it to do the entire shootin-match.

What would be the recommendation for someone like me? I am not rooted, but I am nervous that I will do something wrong - the concept of a program that does it all for me sounds VERY appealing... but if that is going to cause problems, then obviously that would concern me.

Thank you for your time,
    Rob
    Rob. I used Big Lous Guide to Root my Droid
    Obtaining Root | Root Your Droid

its very easy and i did it in probably less than 3 minutes *yeah its that easy*

I then used a Bugless Beast for Noobs guide to load the BB 7.3 rom
    I am currently running the Sholes Beagel 2.0.2 ROM installed via the SMUpdater the SMU updater pretty much does all the had stuff you might mess up for you. I did NOT wipe and I have my background and all icons still in place where they were before.

so if I were you I'd root using Big Lous Guide then either go with Pete's Bugless Beast or Sholes *****en' Beagel
    -=Jason=-
  3. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    _Flomaster
    Phone
    DROOOOOOOOOOOiid
    Premium Member
    Nate they removed JIT in the 2.0.2 Rom

-=Jason=-
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2 rooted
    Ok, I am thinking of Rooting and installing a custom ROM... but (of course) I am nervous about destroying my phone.

I am currently running the stock 2.01 ROM, not rooted. I see some ppl saying this SMUpdater is the greatest thing since coffee, and others saying it causes lots of problems. Finally I saw someone say that it seems to work fine for those who are ALREADY rooted, but causes problems for those who use it to do the entire shootin-match.

What would be the recommendation for someone like me? I am not rooted, but I am nervous that I will do something wrong - the concept of a program that does it all for me sounds VERY appealing... but if that is going to cause problems, then obviously that would concern me.

Thank you for your time,
    Rob
    id say find any of the how to root forums, root, flash sp recovery, make a nandroid backup, then get the sholesmod app, the 2.0.2 is as stable as any other rom. go go for it. once u make that 1st nandroid backup u shouldnt have any worries. i dont think any one has really bricked their phone yet, there was a close call but people on this forum got him back.
    remember nandorid backups are your friend , make one before u do any major changes to your phone and you should have no issues

edit, damn im slow
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    What would be the recommendation for someone like me?
    If you feel comfortable with it, I say you should try to do some of it manually. It's a bit scary, but if you do it by hand, you'll be comfortable with it, and it will be less-scary. If you get an app that does it for you, it will be even MORE scary (the wizard is MUCH more frightening than the man behind the curtain).

You can easily wade in in stages by hand. Start by rooting, try out a root-only app, like drocap. Install SPRecovery. Make a backup of your droid. Get that all working. THEN think about installing a rom. By this point, installing a rom will be No Big Deal - you are already used to the idea of typing on the terminal, booting into recovery, backup and restore, etc.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Once I get to select the features that I want to install it restarts the process. I select what I want, and when I press finish it goes back to the backup step. It does this over and over. Any ideas?
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    SGN
    I just updated. 2.0.2 and wiped the system as I did the first time. All seemed to go smoothly until I tried to reinstall my apps. I can't download anything from the market. Any suggestions?
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Droid
    Ok, I Rooted (manually) and it was pretty easy, took about 3 minutes as I was told here.

I then went and downloaded the SMUpdater and ran it. A box came up asking me about "allow or deny" or something like that... I clicked "allow" and waited. And waited. And waited some more, and (you guessed it) waited a bit more. The SMUpdater screen is black. I can still see the notification bar up at the top, even got a few txt messages. When I try to click anything, SMUpdater causes a FC. I tried a few times with identical results. I like consistency... just not like this lol.

Any ideas?

Take care,
    Rob
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    The SMUpdater screen is black...
    Any ideas?
    That seems pretty common for root apps - setCPU hanged for me the first time I opened it. Once you allow-always on the root access, they seem to run better. Try doing that and re-running it, maybe even rebooting.

(This belongs in the Hacking Help section)
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    Quote Originally Posted by coolestmage View Post
    Once I get to select the features that I want to install it restarts the process. I select what I want, and when I press finish it goes back to the backup step. It does this over and over. Any ideas?
    SMUpdater Infinite Loop
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Links