DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So long gingerbread

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Chizzele View Post
    Lol... i tried.. just ended up going back to Sourcery and resetting it the way i like it.
    Sent from my Droid using TapatalkOh god I'm doomed to only accept the best in the way of roms now. Its just like music I guess... once you here the good stuff you can't turn back lmao

And jimmy, I've used ss 5.2 since 2 days after it came out. Its the nicest GB rom out, but it still sucks. Grab a friends phone or flash yours to froyo for a day or two. Its much more stable. Sure, having the latest and greatest is fun, but for a lot of us being a phone comes first, and tweaking second. SS 5.2 would reboot during phone calls and such sometimes. It just wasn't for me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Last edited by alienware777; 04-17-2011 at 08:33 PM.
  2. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    spc_hicks09
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy S4
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alienware777 View Post
    Lol... i tried.. just ended up going back to Sourcery and resetting it the way i like it.
    Sent from my Droid using TapatalkOh god I'm doomed to only accept the best in the way of roms now. Its just like music I guess... once you here the good stuff you can't turn back lmao

And jimmy, I've used ss 5.2 since 2 days after it came out. Its the nicest GB rom out, but it still sucks. Grab a friends phone or flash yours to froyo for a day or two. Its much more stable. Sure, having the latest and greatest is fun, but for a lot of us being a phone comes first, and tweaking second. SS 5.2 would reboot during phone calls and such sometimes. It just wasn't for me.

Sorry but if someone's OG Droid just absolutely can't have Gingerbread on it, then its something YOU are doing that's the problem. Regardless if it was meant for the OG or not, it works and it works with far better results than froyo. I've built a 2.3 ROM that worked flawlessly on the HTC Droid Eris of all phones, I know that GB can be stable on the OG. If it can work on the Eris, it can definitely work on the OG. My OG has been running CM7 has not had an issue that wasn't easily fixed, as a matter of fact it only had 1 issue which was fixed just by reflashing. Someone saying that GB sucks and no one should ever use it, is just stating their opinion, NOT a fact. It works fine for me and tons of other people, so obviously its not the ROM that's an issue. Could also be the device, could even be the operator.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  3. Team Sourcery
    Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Phone
    Sourcerized GN
    DroidForums.net Developer
    It was just a matter of time before someone would come to start this argument... not into headbanging budz.. just voicing personal experiences here..

4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmydene84 View Post
    Man, I hope u guys at least gave SS 5.2 a fair chance. I know GB isn't for everyone but that ROM is amazing for GB

SS 5.2 is what pulled me back in and I'm loving it so far! Let's see if I notice any issues or not after a few days. I'm keeping my fingers crossed
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by UNC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dparm View Post
    Get away from CM7. It's not good, and it never was.

Peter Alfonso (the guy behind Bugless Beast) has an outstanding AOSP Gingerbread ROM that I have been running for a long time.
    Cm7 works great for me and Pete's Rom is a hot mess of force closes.... I think you (op) should try both because apparently the roms/kernels respond differently to different handsets.
    That's really interesting. I knew kernels respond differently, but I didn't know ROM's could react differently also. Thanks for educating me UNC and thanks to a couple others for convincing me to not throw in the towel. SS 5.2 was my last shot and so far it's running great. Of course now w/ this info from UNC if I have problems w/ it and I"m still hell-bent on GB I guess I'll have to try something else!

UNC, have you always had problems w/ Pete's roms or just this one?
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Been back at Froyo after 2 - 3 different GB roms that were packed with issues. I know its the actual roms but GB itself. I relay on the phone to much to risk dealing with GB issues.

Sorry to say to all of the hard working developers but its just not meant for the OG, stability is key and GB on the OG just don't have it.

My personal Froyo favorite is Sourcery.
    Same. I've been with GB for the last couple months, and I'm finally sick of it. I just want my phone to work from now on lol. I tried sourcery yesterday, and omg is it amazing. I love it aha
    Sourcery is definitely an experience, i have been so spoiled with it for four month now and i just cant accept anything else.. Welcome.
    Wow, I'm not sure I ever gave that one a shot. I guess I'll have to put it on the list if SS has any problems w/ my phone. Thanks guys!
  7. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by otter34 View Post

That's really interesting. I knew kernels respond differently, but I didn't know ROM's could react differently also. Thanks for educating me UNC and thanks to a couple others for convincing me to not throw in the towel. SS 5.2 was my last shot and so far it's running great. Of course now w/ this info from UNC if I have problems w/ it and I"m still hell-bent on GB I guess I'll have to try something else!

IMO I think even launchers and certain apps will react differently as well. I was where you are few weeks ago, getting frustrated with GB and also went back to froyo. Well that didn't last as I came right back to GB. Like you I've tried most all the GB roms and kernel combos. What I ended up (so far) is with ss 5.2 themed with chevy's 1ghz kernel. It works well for my droid and the launcher and apps that are most important to me. You need to find what they are and experiment til you find the ones that work the best for you. There are people here that tell you this is best and that is best but in the end you need to ask yourself what features and what level of performance is most important. As for me I'm sticking with this setup for now but I highly doubt that I will be going back to froyo. GL
  8. UNC
    Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    A855/ vPhone4
    Quote Originally Posted by otter34 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UNC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dparm View Post
    Get away from CM7. It's not good, and it never was.

Peter Alfonso (the guy behind Bugless Beast) has an outstanding AOSP Gingerbread ROM that I have been running for a long time.
    Cm7 works great for me and Pete's Rom is a hot mess of force closes.... I think you (op) should try both because apparently the roms/kernels respond differently to different handsets.

The old Eclair versions of BB ran perfect for me, but from Froyo on BB has had problems.
    I've had good fortune with CM, SS, and PE on GB. I know that doesn't mean much though, because I installed all of them on my brothers Droid with less luck... But for him Petes AOSP GB Rom ran PERFECT! My droid is a launch device and hr got his about 6 months later, so maybe its due to hardware revisions???
    You call me names, I call your Mom!!
  9. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Twitter
    THE_Yakitori
    Phone
    TBolt, D1
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spc_hicks09 View Post

Sorry but if someone's OG Droid just absolutely can't have Gingerbread on it, then its something YOU are doing that's the problem. Regardless if it was meant for the OG or not, it works and it works with far better results than froyo. I've built a 2.3 ROM that worked flawlessly on the HTC Droid Eris of all phones, I know that GB can be stable on the OG. If it can work on the Eris, it can definitely work on the OG. My OG has been running CM7 has not had an issue that wasn't easily fixed, as a matter of fact it only had 1 issue which was fixed just by reflashing. Someone saying that GB sucks and no one should ever use it, is just stating their opinion, NOT a fact. It works fine for me and tons of other people, so obviously its not the ROM that's an issue. Could also be the device, could even be the operator.

I have to highly disagree with this statement. In fact, I hold an opinion to be quite the opposite. Ive tried every GB rom there is...and all of them have given me loss of 3g data (and thousands of others as well), I wont go so far as to say that those who say they are not experiencing this are not being honest or fans of GB regardless of issues....but I will say that it happens on MY droid and my girls droid on EVERY gb rom Ive ran (and themed).

As well as other random weird things happening (losing emails, not recieving texts...recieving a text that was sent by a friend 3 months ago...and it shows up again in my inbox). Ive had reboots out of nowhere on almost all of them (usually when mutlitasking and streaming pandora). My phone gets EXTREMELY laggy and unresponsive at times due to memory management when using apps that consume a large amount of RAM. Change VM heaps dont work either.

So...Im not quite sure if those that are "avid supporters" of GB are being 100 percent honest when they say they have ZERO issues. Or have just accepted some minor issues just to keep gb.

And I could not disagree more with the statement that "people having issues with GB is because of something the user is doing". It most certainly is the rom...if a large percentage of people who flash GB roms experience the same issues, which did not persist on Froyo roms. Me personally always start having issues on GB after a while. I always flash new releases, but keep my trusty, thoroughly working UD 2.5 handy incase I wish to listen to music thats on my SD card, retain my 3g data after phone calls, recieve all my texts, and stream pandora while doing other things on my phone. When I finally desire to have all those things working like they should....I go back to froyo.
    Last edited by yakitori; 04-18-2011 at 08:31 AM.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Twitter
    Gil_Smash
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by yakitori View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spc_hicks09 View Post

I have to highly disagree with this statement. In fact, I hold an opinion to be quite the opposite. Ive tried every GB rom there is...and all of them have given me loss of 3g data (and thousands of others as well), I wont go so far as to say that those who say they are not experiencing this are not being honest or fans of GB regardless of issues....but I will say that it happens on MY droid and my girls droid on EVERY gb rom Ive ran (and themed).

As well as other random weird things happening (losing emails, not recieving texts...recieving a text that was sent by a friend 3 months ago...and it shows up again in my inbox). Ive had reboots out of nowhere on almost all of them (usually when mutlitasking and streaming pandora). My phone gets EXTREMELY laggy and unresponsive at times due to memory management when using apps that consume a large amount of RAM. Change VM heaps dont work either.

So...Im not quite sure if those that are "avid supporters" of GB are being 100 percent honest when they say they have ZERO issues. Or have just accepted some minor issues just to keep gb.

And I could not disagree more with the statement that "people having issues with GB is because of something the user is doing". It most certainly is the rom...if a large percentage of people who flash GB roms experience the same issues, which did not persist on Froyo roms. Me personally always start having issues on GB after a while. I always flash new releases, but keep my trusty, thoroughly working UD 2.5 handy incase I wish to listen to music thats on my SD card, retain my 3g data after phone calls, recieve all my texts, and stream pandora while doing other things on my phone. When I finally desire to have all those things working like they should....I go back to froyo.
    I've literally had zero issues with SS 5.2. Best my droids ever run
    Rom: SteelDroid Nexus 1.0
    Theme: Stock
    Kernel: franco.Kernel Nightly
    Launcher: Nova
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Links