DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Variations between phones

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

Why don't roms run the same on all phones (of the same model)?

I was wondering why different phones can react so differently to the same ROM's?

From a hardware level there is small difference between chip timings, but I would not think that would make much difference.

From a software perspective then since they are on the same exact hardware I would think they would behave the same? Especially in this case where we are basically formatting the used parts of flash before loading a new ROM.

Anyone?

I know from a design perspective I have seen it crop up when designing FPGA's, but in the end it was because I wasn't taking timing into consideration enough.

-JoYu
    Last edited by joyu; 04-04-2011 at 12:23 PM.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    D3
    They run very different hardware, each phone has a different CPU (Even if it's the same CPU), different build, different antennae etc. So many things are different on each phone, even the button setups, every little thing makes quite the difference.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola A855 (D1)
    Quote Originally Posted by kristoff125 View Post
    They run very different hardware, each phone has a different CPU (Even if it's the same CPU), different build, different antennae etc. So many things are different on each phone, even the button setups, every little thing makes quite the difference.
    OP Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he was talking about Custom ROMs on one phone, ie. the differences between Project Elite running on one phone versus another. And to the OP: I honestly believe it comes down to how each individual user uses the phone.

Recovery: RZR 2.0.1
    Rom: Simply Stunning 5.6
    Theme: Stock
    Kernel:Stock
    How to Root Your D1: Guide
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Honestly I don't think ROMs react so hugely different for everyone. I don't mean this as all ROMs run the same, but all phones giving the same ROM a fair chance should run in the same ballpark.

A lot of ROMs come with different kernels. LGB comes with a RZR kernel, CM7 comes with a CVPCS kernel, SS5.X comes with ChevyNo1 kernel...etc Different kernels can 100% react different for each phone, as the processors aren't all created equally. Some can't handle the low voltages, some can't handle the high speeds, others can't handle the low voltages or high speeds. Some people may not think about kernels when they are experiencing poor performance and poor battery life. The wrong kernel can definitely do that.

As for other than that, maybe the user's error could come into play. By this I mean installation problems (not wiping). Maybe they reinstalled something they shouldn't have with Titanium Backup.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by cupfulloflol View Post
    Honestly I don't think ROMs react so hugely different for everyone. I don't mean this as all ROMs run the same, but all phones giving the same ROM a fair chance should run in the same ballpark.
    That makes a lot more sense. Of course your right everyone's phones has a different CPU capable of running at different timings/voltages and the kernel controls these kinds of things (assumption... yeesh I really don't know much about the software side of things...).

I have heard a lot of people complaining about a given ROM not working with their phone even with different kernels, but it could be that all the kernels that the ROM supports don't do well with that user's phone.

Thanks for all the responses

Personally I have been able to run pretty much every ROM I have tried without changing the kernels since most of the included ones are fairly conservative.

Links