DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it me or are aosp source roms slower/laggier than rom made from the ota's?

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2

Cool is it me or are aosp source roms slower/laggier than rom made from the ota's?

hey,
    so i recently started using a droid1 again. i've been trying to find a good rom. i've tried cyanogen mod, bugless, ultimate droid, simplystunning, and a couple other SOURCE roms. (i'm not sure if bugless is from source or not..)
    but they all seemed slow and laggy, i just tried RZ Baseline and it is way faster than any other rom i've tried. (i tried different kernels on all the source roms and they still all never got as fast as this rom).

is it common for roms built from ota's to be faster/more responsive than those built from source? i'm just wondering because i just assumed aosp roms would be better.. (now that i think about it, i think back when i used a droid1 like 5 months ago i think tried to stay on ota based roms and this might be why..)

does anyone agree? or does my phone just happen to really like this rom?

thanks
    got eris: 12/24/09
    returned eris: 12/28/09
    got droid: 12/31/09
    rooted droid: sometime in january (right after it was released (manually))
    bb->2.1 sbf->desire rom> 2.1bb> 2.2
    got incredible as warranty replacement 8/31/10
    shattered inc screen 9/25/10-> got insurace replacement 10/4/10
    broke inc screen 10/19/10-> got warranty replacement 10/22/10
    got moto droid 1 off ebay 1/7/11
    broke inc screen 5/26/11-> got insurance replacement inc2 5/27/11
    sold inc2 & bought vzw 16gb iphone 4 6/9/11

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @mr_silentXIII
    Phone
    A855
    Try researching the topic. You'll be suprised how many threads you find about this subject. Its usually not the rom, but some poorly designed apps not doing they're job correctly. Try keeping your cache clean and creating a swap file to deal with low memory issues. Please be more aware of the topic before starting threads that bash the AOSP, its a work in progress.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    honestly, im not trying to bash them. ultimate droid is the coolest rom i have ever used. i love all the features and settings it has. everything about it is amazing (ud is personally my favorite source rom)
    however, it just seems that the ota roms are faster for me and i'm wondering if there is a reason, because i would really like to be able to use ud with as good of performance as i get on baseline.
    but if this is a common thing that would explain it.

I didnt realize there are other roms, i did a search and didnt really find anything
    got eris: 12/24/09
    returned eris: 12/28/09
    got droid: 12/31/09
    rooted droid: sometime in january (right after it was released (manually))
    bb->2.1 sbf->desire rom> 2.1bb> 2.2
    got incredible as warranty replacement 8/31/10
    shattered inc screen 9/25/10-> got insurace replacement 10/4/10
    broke inc screen 10/19/10-> got warranty replacement 10/22/10
    got moto droid 1 off ebay 1/7/11
    broke inc screen 5/26/11-> got insurance replacement inc2 5/27/11
    sold inc2 & bought vzw 16gb iphone 4 6/9/11
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    OTA stuff has obviously been optimized for a particular device. AOSP is not -- that falls to the developers. Judging by the pressure everyone puts on them, I'd say they are not able to spend the amount of time they want on device-specific tweaks. Verizon has countless people to do that...these devs have just themselves.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid, Droid X
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @mr_silentXIII
    Phone
    A855

Aosp

Yeah ok, aosp roms will work on any device is that what your saying? Try loading a droid x rom onto a droid 1 and watch how fast you brick your phone. Where do think handset manufacturers get the source code to write ota firmware, they even use code written by rom builders as fixes to some fw. Look how apple got the iphone 4 to run gingerbread, that's what's AOSp is about, saves handset programmers a lot of trouble of writing they're own OS.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_silent View Post
    Yeah ok, aosp roms will work on any device is that what your saying? Try loading a droid x rom onto a droid 1 and watch how fast you brick your phone.
    A DX rom obviously won't work on a D1 but there are AOSP roms for the DX...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
    HTC Eris - Droid - Droid 2 - Droid X - iPhone 4 - Thunderbolt - Galaxy Nexus - iPhone 4S - iPhone 5 - iPhone 5S - Galaxy S4
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola A855 (D1)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_silent View Post
    Yeah ok, aosp roms will work on any device is that what your saying? Try loading a droid x rom onto a droid 1 and watch how fast you brick your phone. Where do think handset manufacturers get the source code to write ota firmware, they even use code written by rom builders as fixes to some fw. Look how apple got the iphone 4 to run gingerbread, that's what's AOSp is about, saves handset programmers a lot of trouble of writing they're own OS.
    Dude chill out, no need to jump down anyone's throat. I'm sure he was talking about Roms built for multiple phones (UD, CM, ect.)

Recovery: RZR 2.0.1
    Rom: Simply Stunning 5.6
    Theme: Stock
    Kernel:Stock
    How to Root Your D1: Guide
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @mr_silentXIII
    Phone
    A855
    Didn't mean to sound so angry. I posted that after being up all night installing ydl6.1 on an old ps3 I found(headache). Anyways since I brought up the subject of the iphone running gingerbread, I'm wondering what everyone thinks about it. Good or Bad. Personally I like that it took another manufacturer to light a fire under Moto's a$$, and release the ota gingerbread for Droid X.
    Moto would hardly respond to anyones letters on the matter, nor the countless petitions I've seen. Guess they value competition over consumer morale. I wonder what kind of custom roms people are working on for the iphone.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I nearly started a similar thread, so I know what you mean. I see people on various forums drooling over CyanogenMod, but it turned out to be the slowest ROM I've ever used. UD and bugless have faired much better on my phone(D1), but I wouldn't even compare them to LFY(or the new LFG) or Project Elite. They are built for the Droid are the run better, simple as that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links