DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Just rooted Droid via SuperOneClick now how to flash ROMs?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Just rooted Droid via SuperOneClick now how to flash ROMs?

I just rooted my Droid 1 via SuperOneClick. It has the latest FRG83D. I'm just wondering how to flash a rom onto the droid and which is the best recommended rom?
  2. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    Does superoneclick root put on a custom recovery? That's what you will need to flash ROMs

Sent from somewhere...
  3. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    galaxy nexus
    DroidForums.net Developer
    download ROM manager from the market & it'll install a recovery, then you can search for custom roms from there
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by jstafford1 View Post
    Does superoneclick root put on a custom recovery? That's what you will need to flash ROMs

Sent from somewhere...
    I'm not sure but I rooted my droid via this quote.
    Quote Originally Posted by davesr72 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nhdepot View Post
    i cant get the program to locate the phone...windows 7 os.

You unzipped the file and ran superoneclick.exe file while the phone was booted up normally (not in recovery, and not in the bootloader)?

Like I said before, you may or may not have to have usb debugging on (menu > settings > applications > development, try it with it checked.. it it isnt working, try it with it unchecked..

Do you have the correct driver installed also? http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10868571/USB..._bit_4.2.0.zip for 32 bit and http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10868571/USB..._bit_4.2.0.zip for 64-bit

after the phone is rooted, you will have to download Rom Manager to flash a recovery (clockwork or SPRecovery)

WagZ
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Hey man......doesn't really look like any one answered your question thoroughly. You are now rooted and want to understand how to install a new ROM from some amazing developers on this forum. Here is what you do........

(sorry if this is too descriptive......I just remember what it was like when I tried this stuff for the first time.)

Download ROM Manager from the market (like everyone else said).

Open ROM Manager and flash the recovery... Should be the option at the top to flash ClockworkMod Recovery. I would flash it a few times to make sure it goes through.

To make sure it worked correctly.......turn off your phone then try to open recovery by holding "X" and the power button until you should see clockworkmod recovery show up. (If that worked correctly then proceed to the next step).

Personally, I don't trust ROM Manager to work correctly when trying to download a ROM from their application (Not to discredit Koush, but I have had many problems doing it that way. But I am very grateful for the application that has helped me considerably). So, I would download a ROM from this site on to my computer and transfer it to the root of the SD card on my phone (root of sd card means not in any folder. Just throw it on your SD card).

Once that is done. Load up your recovery again (boot while holding X and the power button). Once in recovery ensure you see the file in your sd card by clicking the "install zip from sdcard". Then hit "choose from sdcard". Scroll through everything and make sure the .zip file you put on the sd card is there. If it is then.......

"wipe data/factory reset" and then "wipe cache partition" three times each.

Choose "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" and find the .zip file and install it. Reboot your phone and you should have a new ROM on your phone.

Any problems, let me know I will try to help you out. PM me or post to this forum.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Wow man I wish I could have got a response like that when I was in f4d3's position and a noob to the ROM game. A+ on your willingness to help someone instead of just telling him to search the forums like most people do. My only bit of advice to anyone trying this for the first time would be to try it the "hard way" instead of one click solutions. I learned alot doing it that way, and has helped me overcome issues I ran into after flashing things. Again nice work sir!
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    A newbie here as well
    I am having difficulties communicating on these boards as well.
    Not this one but alot of lingo and if u r not familiar with droids, it goes over ur head! LOL But just because I dont know the missing steps folks leave out cos they take it for granted I know them, does not mean I am stupid! I just means I do not know and I am smart enough to ask for help! LOL
    I need to root my ally. Battery life is horrible and apps out the gazoo. I know how to root with universal androot, and can back up with titanium....but now i find i need a file mgr as I am saving the stuff to my SD card as I am a page plus user and downloading from my phone/data plan seems to not be an option
    I am not a big inet user on my phone, I can wait until I get to my work PC or home PC which is not a problem and have no need to surf the net all of my waking hours. I only need to save on battery life and root, then remove apps from my phone
    I hear astro file mgr is good. I need to download this so I can open my SD card to download androot and titanium to my phone from my SD card
    ANY HELP?
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by lalea1860 View Post
    A newbie here as well
    I am having difficulties communicating on these boards as well.
    Not this one but alot of lingo and if u r not familiar with droids, it goes over ur head! LOL But just because I dont know the missing steps folks leave out cos they take it for granted I know them, does not mean I am stupid! I just means I do not know and I am smart enough to ask for help! LOL
    I need to root my ally. Battery life is horrible and apps out the gazoo. I know how to root with universal androot, and can back up with titanium....but now i find i need a file mgr as I am saving the stuff to my SD card as I am a page plus user and downloading from my phone/data plan seems to not be an option
    I am not a big inet user on my phone, I can wait until I get to my work PC or home PC which is not a problem and have no need to surf the net all of my waking hours. I only need to save on battery life and root, then remove apps from my phone
    I hear astro file mgr is good. I need to download this so I can open my SD card to download androot and titanium to my phone from my SD card
    ANY HELP?
    Kinda not sure what you're asking. You don't have to be rooted to d/l astro. What exactly do you need help with? I am not familiar with the Ally.

Links