DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: How to backup and change ROMS on Droid 2 (Help Needed)

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2

Question How to backup and change ROMS on Droid 2 (Help Needed)

Good morning, everyone.

I have spent the last three hours trying to backup my phone and replace the ROM with ApeX 1.3.1 (URI: [ROM] ApeX 1.3.1 for Droid 2 - Running, running, as fast as it can)

Unfortunately, I am no further ahead than I was three hours ago. I have a rooted Droid2, which I did a month or so back in order to take screenshots. I didn't do much else with it at the time, but I'd like to change ROMs.

Here's what I've learned:

- There are programs called Bootstrap recovery and clockwork. Everyone talks about them matter-of-factly, without explaining which one I need to use or how to use it. Just, "Random step: use bootstrap".

- Everyone seems to want to do things differently, so when I get part way through a guide and it doesn't work and I go over to another guide, someone else is telling me to do something completely different.

- Guides are broken or out of date. (Example: In this guide, http://tinyurl.com/yj4ndno, he has us download DroidRootHelper, a tool that is NO LONGER in the market NOR will it install from AppBrain).

What I am looking for is either a link or a step by step guide to explain:

- Where to download the apps to do the following steps and how to install them
    - How to backup my current phone and settings
    - How to install any ROM I download (such as the Apex ROM listed above)

Thanks.

PS - I am pretty tech savvy with Windows, Linux and Apple. I've been in the IT field for about 12 years now...
    Last edited by gtwy; 12-21-2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: The forum injected a youtube video into the middle of my paragraph
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    First step should be getting the droid 2 recovery bootstrap. Search droid 2 bootstrap in the market. There may be the free version floating around somewhere, I'm not sure

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

The only app you explicitly need is the Droid 2 bootstrapper. You can get it from the market for a few bucks (to help support the incredible developer who made it) or you can pick it up from his website for free here. Its at the very bottom of the post. If you go for the free method, you will get an apk file. Copy this file to your SD card and then use a file manager (like astro or Linda) and open the apk to install it. Once the bootstrapper is installed, open it and there are two options. The first one installs the bootstrap, and has to be done first. After it tells you it was successful, you can click the second option which will reboot your phone into the recovery menu.

In the recovery menu, click nandroid, then backup. This will create a backup of your phone, bit for bit. It is a 100% copy down to the kernel and up to your text messages.

Also in recovery, click the wipe data and wipe cache options. Then find the option that says install .zip from sd card or something. Then copy the .zip file you downloaded from the apex site to your sd card, then select that file. It will do its thing then when its done, i suggest clicking the wipe button again. Then reboot. Thats your new rom.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mills00013 View Post

The only app you explicitly need is the Droid 2 bootstrapper. You can get it from the market for a few bucks (to help support the incredible developer who made it) or you can pick it up from his website for free here. Its at the very bottom of the post. If you go for the free method, you will get an apk file. Copy this file to your SD card and then use a file manager (like astro or Linda) and open the apk to install it. Once the bootstrapper is installed, open it and there are two options. The first one installs the bootstrap, and has to be done first. After it tells you it was successful, you can click the second option which will reboot your phone into the recovery menu.

In the recovery menu, click nandroid, then backup. This will create a backup of your phone, bit for bit. It is a 100% copy down to the kernel and up to your text messages.

Also in recovery, click the wipe data and wipe cache options. Then find the option that says install .zip from sd card or something. Then copy the .zip file you downloaded from the apex site to your sd card, then select that file. It will do its thing then when its done, i suggest clicking the wipe button again. Then reboot. Thats your new rom.

Thank you, I appreciate it. A buddy forwarded me a link, which I will post here, in case anyone else is having the same frustration as I was:

All-One-Guide to Rooting, Deodexing, and Installing a Custom ROM/Theme (And How to Unbrick Droid X) - Android Forums
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID 2
    I know exactly how you feel, you have to jump from forum to forum to find all the info you need lol. What I am going to do tonight is a FULL DROID and DROID 2 Rooting and ROM tutorial. ITs gonna be purtyyyyy
    Motorola D2
    -Squidley's 2.3.20
    -
    OCed to 1.3ghz

Need Help? PM me
    - What is "Rooting"? How Do I Do It? What can I get out of it? Read my Tutorial HERE!!: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ml#post1121706

6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    246 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    If you are ever in a pinch, don't forget that there is the Rescue Squad on DroidForums, these guys are always eager to answer your questions. If you have other questions regarding the D2, look up PC747, he has some great links in his signature that will help you out too.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

Links