Good morning, everyone.
I have spent the last three hours trying to backup my phone and replace the ROM with ApeX 1.3.1 (URI: [ROM] ApeX 1.3.1 for Droid 2 - Running, running, as fast as it can)
Unfortunately, I am no further ahead than I was three hours ago. I have a rooted Droid2, which I did a month or so back in order to take screenshots. I didn't do much else with it at the time, but I'd like to change ROMs.
Here's what I've learned:
- There are programs called Bootstrap recovery and clockwork. Everyone talks about them matter-of-factly, without explaining which one I need to use or how to use it. Just, "Random step: use bootstrap".
- Everyone seems to want to do things differently, so when I get part way through a guide and it doesn't work and I go over to another guide, someone else is telling me to do something completely different.
- Guides are broken or out of date. (Example: In this guide, http://tinyurl.com/yj4ndno, he has us download DroidRootHelper, a tool that is NO LONGER in the market NOR will it install from AppBrain).
What I am looking for is either a link or a step by step guide to explain:
- Where to download the apps to do the following steps and how to install them
- How to backup my current phone and settings
- How to install any ROM I download (such as the Apex ROM listed above)
PS - I am pretty tech savvy with Windows, Linux and Apple. I've been in the IT field for about 12 years now...