DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [ROM] Gingerbread for Droid

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

[ROM] Gingerbread for Droid

Here's my finished build of gingerbread, android 2.3.1 from aosp. The build finished successfully and I have it booted on my Droid. I can't guarantee that it is fully functional and it does not include gapps so if you want the market you'll have to push that your system yourself.

Notes:
    1. Does not include gapps, I'm not sure if flashing them is a good idea though, might want to push apps manually if anything.

EDIT: Flashing gapps from cyanogen causes a boot-loop so I wouldn't try it

2. The camera doesn't work, browser force closes after loading a page.

Version 1: Download Link: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Please Read:
    After some testing, this is far from usable but extremely fast so I'm looking forward to what comes of gingerbread from the development community, the browser force closes and gapps cause a boot loop. Please make a backup before flashing.

UPDATE!!!: Here's my second build including new updates from AOSP and working USB Mass Storage (credit mtwebster, I just built it). Camera and GPS is still broken.

Build 2: http://www.multiupload.com/GDDDLFIPVM

NOTE: You may lose root when installing this one, just drag the "su" file from the bin of any other rom into the bin of this one before flashing. It won't touch your recovery so you don't have to worry about being locked out of your phone though
    Last edited by neubanks89; 12-23-2010 at 09:29 AM.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Awesome! Downloading now!
    HTC Eris - Droid - Droid 2 - Droid X - iPhone 4 - Thunderbolt - Galaxy Nexus - iPhone 4S - iPhone 5 - iPhone 5S - Galaxy S4
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I cant wait for this on the d2 lol
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1
    Awesomeness!
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I'm really amazed at how well this runs despite the fact that I could never actually use it as a daily-use rom (after playing with this for a while i'm probably going back to cm with a gingerbread theme until cm 7 comes out). Based on this, Motorola would be stupid to not give us OG Droid users an official version of 2.3. I'm probably not going to be able to work on this very much to get it up to a completely usable status because I'm extremely busy with my job but i can help anyone having trouble getting the source to build though.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Thanks neubanks89!
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola droid 3
    So when will we expect a working gingerbread for Droid 1. It sounds like its gonna be possible.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by neubanks89 View Post
    I'm really amazed at how well this runs despite the fact that I could never actually use it as a daily-use rom (after playing with this for a while i'm probably going back to cm with a gingerbread theme until cm 7 comes out). Based on this, Motorola would be stupid to not give us OG Droid users an official version of 2.3. I'm probably not going to be able to work on this very much to get it up to a completely usable status because I'm extremely busy with my job but i can help anyone having trouble getting the source to build though.
    The reason why Motorola likely WON'T give us a Gingerbread ROM has nothing to do with it not running well. The reason is that the Droid is End-of-life; and Motorola isn't dedicating any more resources to developing OSes for it. If there is no dev team, there is no release. FRG22D was SUPPOSED to be the final D1 OS; however FRG83D was released because of severe Microsoft Exchange connectivity issues with FRG22D.

With Froyo and its associated Flash compatibility; the Droid now does everything Moto and Verizon ever claimed it would, and they have no reason to devote any more time to it since it is no longer generating revenue for them.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID
    Wow this runs really good. Looking forward to more 2.3 roms.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    If I can get gapps onto the phone somehow I could very well stick with this build LOL. thing is blazing fast. Its sorta crazy.
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Links