DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: What Kernel?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1

What Kernel?

So I'm quite new to the whole ROM thing and was reading online at different messageboards about a Kernel..

I understand what it is and what it does, but what one do I want to get?
    I just installed the metiCkMOD FRG83D ROM last night on my Motorola Droid (1), and there is a link there suggesting ChevyNo1 Kernels..
    but, on their site at http://chevyno1.richstevenson.com/froyo/kernels3, what kernel do I get?
    Or, do I really need to worry about getting one?
    How is it installed?
    Last edited by jrd761; 12-15-2010 at 03:55 PM.

3. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    i605/i9250/i515/XT862/A855
    Premium Member
    It already has a kernel. Kernels are for over/under clocking the processor. If you don't want to do that you don't need a new one. (The rom comes with one, if it didn't your phone wouldn't be working right now!)

If you are interested in that look for the thread called "overclocking 101" in the Rescue Squad area of this forum.

There are many kernels and some like certain phones better.

A kernel is installed the same as a rom. It is done after the rom has loaded.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

1.Need to Flash a ROM? - Flashing ROM - Best Practices
    2.How-To Setup a ROM/MOD/Theme Thread with prefix - Setup ROM/MOD/Theme Thread
    3.Guidelines of Conduct on Droidforums.net - Guidelines of Conduct
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid A855
    Fitting a kernel to a phone is a hit or miss process. Some work better than others and whatnot. I recommend starting with slayher's LFY 1.7 kernels in the liquid section. Stick with a moderate speed at first and determine your stability and battery life. If it sucks, try a lower clock speed first and recompare. If that doesn't work go to a different kernel like chevy's, p3droid's, jdlfg (even though i've yet to try this one as the last topic I found was months old). Start with low voltage and moderate clock speed and work your way down in speed to find a stable one.... then try using the lower voltages until phone becomes unstable. ALWAYS make a nandroid backup before flashing a different kernel if you aren't used to the one you flash.

Edit: I personally use slayher's 1100mhz version 1.7 kernel. Chevy's ulv and lv crash my phone and p3droid's eat my battery....
  5. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    +1! Excellent post btw!

Quote Originally Posted by white_ash143 View Post
    Fitting a kernel to a phone is a hit or miss process. Some work better than others and whatnot. I recommend starting with slayher's LFY 1.7 kernels in the liquid section. Stick with a moderate speed at first and determine your stability and battery life. If it sucks, try a lower clock speed first and recompare. If that doesn't work go to a different kernel like chevy's, p3droid's, jdlfg (even though i've yet to try this one as the last topic I found was months old). Start with low voltage and moderate clock speed and work your way down in speed to find a stable one.... then try using the lower voltages until phone becomes unstable. ALWAYS make a nandroid backup before flashing a different kernel if you aren't used to the one you flash.

Edit: I personally use slayher's 1100mhz version 1.7 kernel. Chevy's ulv and lv crash my phone and p3droid's eat my battery....

DroidForums junkie!!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid A855
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid DOES!! View Post
    +1! Excellent post btw!

Quote Originally Posted by white_ash143 View Post

DroidForums junkie!!
    Lol thanks.... I just posted my experience with it and paraphrased what I read from some post I saw a few months back... I'm pretty sure there's a sticky somewhere on DF.net that explains this better....

Links