DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: App Review: 8pen – reinventing the keyboard wheel

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by zachcr250 View Post
    . . . also like it because you have to learn how to spell. I got so used to wordprediction I completely forgot how to spell. (If possible) I almost feel like it's making me smarter. (If possible)
    You can turn word prediction and auto-correct on in the settings. They don't appear to be as good, as the better QWERTY keyboards, but they exist. I'm leaving mine off until I' have the mechanics mastered. I don't want it fixing my mistakes before I know I've made them.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Seems to me that one must retrain themselves to write according to the rules set up by 8pen. To make the letter "g", for example, one moves the finger up and then to the right in a circle passing three lines and back to the center. Why can't one just form the letter "g" on the screen, and let the software do the work of interpreting the letter. Sort of like handwriting recognition?!! What a unique idea! Then we don't have to retrain ourselves, just invent some intelligent software to do the work.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenagainster View Post
    . . .Why can't one just form the letter "g" on the screen, and let the software do the work of interpreting the letter. Sort of like handwriting recognition?!! What a unique idea! Then we don't have to retrain ourselves, just invent some intelligent software to do the work.
    Been done, of course. Graffiti, while not perfect, is usable after only a short training period.

But there are some potential advantages to the 8pen way. For instance; once I got used to entering 'the' I could enter the whole word with a single gesture only slightly more complicated than some letters. This is very fast, and while it certainly isn't true of every word the layout does place many of the common letters and combinations within easy reach.

The payout of 8pen will come when the letters become second nature. At that point entire words can be entered in one continuos motion.

Swype style keyboards can do this already and I think they are intrinsically faster, but they depend heavily on prediction. That means you always have to slow down and tap keys individually when entering unusual combinations, at least until they have been trained. These days when acronyms and l33t have all but taken over casual texting you could end up doing a lot of training.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    iPhone4 32g, DX, DInc, D1
    They need a trial version, they're going to miss many potential users without one. Awesome idea though.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulfur View Post
    They need a trial version,.....
    IMHO, perhaps the 'inventor' of 8pen realized that it won't take off as THE app for touchscreen data entry and wanted to get as much money for his effort ASAP before the glow dims and the reviews from frustrated users dribble in. Graffiti seems to be a much easier alternative without the steep learning curve.
  6. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Premium Member
    a trial version would be good.. i have been using it since it was made available, but REALLY need more than 24hrs to get used to it. not that it takes 24hrs worth of learning, i just don't type enough in 24hrs to give it a fair shot... the only trick is remembering where the letters are, once you get that, it is really really fast. i like it a lot.
    -Respect is rule #1
    -Email us at DroidForumPromo@gmail to become a Supporting Vendor.
    -Not around as often as I used to be... Still, feel free to PM me if there is anything I can help with!
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID

8pen FREE

Just so it's in this 8pen thread, the app is now free on the market. I'm gonna give it a shot to see if it seems worth learning.
  8. UNC
    Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    A855/ vPhone4
    Y'all already gave up on this right? It was soooo broken.
    You call me names, I call your Mom!!
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I downloaded it last night and typed a few messages with it. I'm actually diggin it. Its not gonna be as easy to learn as swype but I'm not giving up on it. If nothing else, its kinda fun to use.

Swyped from the BIGGEST BADDEST machine on the planet
    ...Droid X...
    Rooted
    928Black_Glass theme
    Themed Swype Black_n_White
  10. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Twitter
    Bazar6
    Phone
    GNex & Xoom & OG Droid
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    go figure, after I paid for it and didn't return in time. it was interesting to learn, I got the hang of it, but I like the on screen QWERTY keyboard better. I think it'd take too long for me to get so used to it to make it faster than the regular.
    Moto Droid 1 : Project Elite v4.2
    HTC Thunderbolt : Sold
    Samsung Droid Charge : Stock
    Moto Xoom Wifi : CM10.1
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus : CM10.2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links