DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Wireless's 4G Speeds Doc Leaked

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid (OG)
    I think it was stated in this thread earlier..."An arm and a leg"

I agree!!!

Cya
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Does anyone know when LTE-Advanced may make it's way to networks? Is that a measure of months or years?
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note 3
    Yeah, I can't wait for this.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I am willing to pay $29.99 a month for unlimited LTE.

In all seriousness, I might pay a little more, but $30 is already fairly steep given my usage. Streams Pandora hi-def just fine and I can tolerate an extra second or two on browsing. I still do all my browsing/email at home from the laptop so the extra speed isn't all that valuable to me unless we start talking tethering.

However, if I can replace home broadband with unlimited tethering (even better would be a secondary device for the home)....NOWWWWW my indifference price goes up to $80 per month all in. For $60 I'd be all over it and very happy.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by BobFr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by s13_slider View Post
    I think the only reason they use megaBIT instead of megaBYTE is because they can advertise a larger number for the connection speeds. My 20Mbps Qwest connection really boils down to 2.5MBps. Which seems more appealing right off the bat?
    Networking folks always use bits and bits/second instead of bytes. As one of these strange networking guys, I always think in bits and have to think "multiply by 8" when I see bytes to get a frame of reference in bits.
    Yup. I know what you mean. Strange networking guy here as well. I just think it's funny is all.

Quote Originally Posted by KingTee View Post
    And its going to cost both of my legs and my left arm lol.
    No see? TWO legs and one arm.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As long as it's my left arm. I really need my right.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    It can't cost that much, can it? I mean, more than a $10 bump over current plans and I'm not sure that many people will switch. If VZW comes out with a $40 LTE plan, how many people will just say "ehhh, I'll stick with unlimited 3G for $30"?

The speed sounds great and all, but how many people really need that on a mobile phone? $30 is already a lot of money (in addition to home broadband).
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    But would it not be a matter of time before there are nothing but LTE smartphones, for example, available that would require an LTE plan?
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by s13_slider View Post
    But would it not be a matter of time before there are nothing but LTE smartphones, for example, available that would require an LTE plan?
    One would assume VZW won't spend to maintain outdated equipment. But LTE won't be fully deployed until late 2012 (2013?).

They have that new tier at $15/mo for 150megs. I'm wondering, at least until LTE is fully deployed, if they won't offer an economy data service on 3G for some time, sort of like you see with cable internet where there are often 3 tiers of service/speed.

Who knows. Obviously it will become more expensive to maintain 3G over time, but it's pretty fast and good enough for economy users. It's a way for them to expand their data user base while keeping from overloading LTE, especially if they decide to try and expand LTE as an alternative to home broadband, but that would seem to conflict with their FIOS plans.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Yup, what a difference 8 bits makes... I agree about needing more editing, at least for verification. But don't give up on the newsy items just because they aren't accurate, they do give us plenty to laugh and argue about.

More importantly though, keep in mind that 4G will start in selected big metro areas first, just like 3G did. It will literally be years before it gets out widespread. Very likely no phone we currently have will ever enjoy nation wide 4G, even if it's capable.

Also, all of this coinsides with Verizon and most other carriers announcing tiered pricing for bytes downloaded. Bandwidth on the busy network is going to be the bottleneck and the carriers are going to profit by it and control it by pricing. Don't expect any unlimited 4G pricing, those days are gone forever when the older contracts end.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links