DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Wireless's 4G Speeds Doc Leaked

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Thunderbolt & Xoom
    Bit and Byte a huge difference.

eight bits equal one byte

Sometimes a "smartphone" is only as smart as its user.

2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I think the only reason they use megaBIT instead of megaBYTE is because they can advertise a larger number for the connection speeds. My 20Mbps Qwest connection really boils down to 2.5MBps. Which seems more appealing right off the bat?
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    caseygrimley
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    This is somewhat relative to the topic, but rather interesting. Verizon's 4G is not technically 4G. Either way though, faster is better and will open a whole new realm for mobile devices.

LTE, WiMax Now Officially Not Technically '4G' - Sorry Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon | DSLReports.com, ISP Information
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    roastbeafman87
    Phone
    DROID2
    Quote Originally Posted by bamfsig45 View Post
    Bit and Byte a huge difference.

eight bits equal one byte
    Yep...so if the speed is in BITS per second, you have to divide by 8 to get the BYTES per second. Hence the poster who said 300 bits/sec = 37.5 bytes/sec. And, as the OP mentioned, 37.5 is the theoretical speed, not what we'll actually see.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    roastbeafman87
    Phone
    DROID2
    37.5 megabytes/sec, not bytes/sec, rather. Damn lack of editing on news threads.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by s13_slider View Post
    I think the only reason they use megaBIT instead of megaBYTE is because they can advertise a larger number for the connection speeds. My 20Mbps Qwest connection really boils down to 2.5MBps. Which seems more appealing right off the bat?
    Networking folks always use bits and bits/second instead of bytes. As one of these strange networking guys, I always think in bits and have to think "multiply by 8" when I see bytes to get a frame of reference in bits.
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobFr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by s13_slider View Post
    Networking folks always use bits and bits/second instead of bytes. As one of these strange networking guys, I always think in bits and have to think "multiply by 8" when I see bytes to get a frame of reference in bits.
    Yeah i agree with you on that one. I do also agree that alot of companies use numbers as selling points, just as TV makers boast #s of things that don't matter but they are huge numbers so it makes the TV look better. (Same thing different argument)

Yeah most of the time when working with what they say a theoretical max of something is you always divide by 50% and you will get close to what you might see as a max on the device. So if they say you will get 300Mbps which is 37.5 MBps, halving gets you to 18.75 which is most likely the max any of us will see for along time. That's why verizon is saying to "expect" 5-12 MBps, which is the likely numbers that the majority will see.
    Resistance is futile.

On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Galaxy SIII
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    So if they say you will get 300Mbps which is 37.5 MBps, halving gets you to 18.75 which is most likely the max any of us will see for along time. That's why verizon is saying to "expect" 5-12 MBps, which is the likely numbers that the majority will see.
    Either way thats still very fast. My high speed home internet (time warner's road runner) is 8Mbps/512Kbps (so around 1MB download and 64KB upload) which still only a fraction of the "expected" speed.
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Detonation View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    So if they say you will get 300Mbps which is 37.5 MBps, halving gets you to 18.75 which is most likely the max any of us will see for along time. That's why verizon is saying to "expect" 5-12 MBps, which is the likely numbers that the majority will see.
    Either way thats still very fast. My high speed home internet (time warner's road runner) is 8Mbps/512Kbps (so around 1MB download and 64KB upload) which still only a fraction of the "expected" speed.
    By no means did i mean to say that it was going to be slow. The complete opposite is what i believe. It will be fast, also it might be a blow to the cable/dsl business if it catches on.

One of the things i've seen thrown around quite a bit is that even with wireless technology people would still love to be able to hook up 2-3 computers in their homes with the devices / device (depending if it was like MiFi) and get 5-12 down with a pretty low ping rate. All that without having to have a router or a cable box or have a tech come out and do something just to get it to work.
    Resistance is futile.

On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I just want to know how much extra we have to pay for it!?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links