DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is HTC going to kill FREE turn by turn directions?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Major Update!!!! Navigon has just released a US version with Navteq maps. $39 for the next two weeks, then $59. I'll be purchasing tonight and will review (although I am biking/Metro to work tomorrow, so no chance to drive with it until Friday at least) but it looks really good, and it is Navteq maps!!!!!!

Navigon's MobileNavigator comes to US Android devices -- Engadget Mobile

Alan
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru View Post
    Major Update!!!! Navigon has just released a US version with Navteq maps. $39 for the next two weeks, then $59. I'll be purchasing tonight and will review (although I am biking/Metro to work tomorrow, so no chance to drive with it until Friday at least) but it looks really good, and it is Navteq maps!!!!!!

Navigon's MobileNavigator comes to US Android devices -- Engadget Mobile

Alan
    To keep this thread on topic, I posted my initial review of Navigon in a Navigon thread: Navizon US for Android

Alan
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Well, here is something new and interesting:

I was looking at my account features today to see if the new data plans were showing up yet (the new $15 for 150 is not, but the unlimited for $30 shows up as available on all lines, including the line with an old RAZR and the one with my JUKE), but I noticed something odd. VZNavigator was checked as a feature on the line with the Incredible, and there was no price listed (I had not subscribed to it).

I am wondering if this is a Loyalty perk (my account also recently started showing it is a "Loyalty" family share plan, which was new to me, i didn't think they did that on the minimum minutes plans, which is what i have since I use data far more than voice on my cell), if it is related to the new data plans, or if it is a Microsoft related thing to compete with Google's free navigation. When I started up VZNav on the incredible, there was no warning about cost, it worked right away (other times, I have started it just to see what happens, it gives a warning that you need to sign up for service). It notified me that a new version was available, and that one of the new features was integrated BING search, so I am thinking that Microsoft may be funding this as part of their Bing on Android initiative.

If it is free on Android, this could take some of the sting away from the Samsung Fascinate being "Bingafied" since VZNav is actually a good bit more accurate than Google Nav.

Alan
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    So this is strange. I talked to two friends also with Incredibles, and they don't have VZNav checked on their accounts, and it does show the $9.99 price. I wonder if having installled and used the BING search app maybe triggered something to be changed. I will call Verizon if I have time today and report back....
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Please let us know. If putting Bing on a phone means free VZW Navigator then a lot of people are about to become Bingified.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    Please let us know. If putting Bing on a phone means free VZW Navigator then a lot of people are about to become Bingified.
    It gets stranger. I called Verizon to see if customer service was aware. The rep seemed very knowledgeable on Android and all the services, and was not aware of any VZNav promotions. She shows that I added it to my plan yesterday, and that it is showing in the billing system as $9.99 even though it shows on my account on the web as free.

i didn't even go to My Verizon yesterday except for the Android app to update my data usage widget, and I certainly didn't make any changes.

I did however download Bing yesterday, and went to Bing maps.

I am going to leave it on the account for now and see if I get billed next month, or if anything shows up in the customer notification of the bill about some kind of promotion. If I get charges, I'll remove it (she says they have no way of telling if I actually use it, so no chance of getting a credit if I am billed and don't use it.

I'll update the group with what I find, but I am seriously thinking this has to do with the Bing app and they just didn't adequately educate customer service.

Alan
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Well, we know they don't educate CS as much as they need to, but you do raise a valid point.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    It gets stranger. I called Verizon to see if customer service was aware. The rep seemed very knowledgeable on Android and all the services, and was not aware of any VZNav promotions. She shows that I added it to my plan yesterday, and that it is showing in the billing system as $9.99 even though it shows on my account on the web as free.

i didn't even go to My Verizon yesterday except for the Android app to update my data usage widget, and I certainly didn't make any changes.

I did however download Bing yesterday, and went to Bing maps.

I am going to leave it on the account for now and see if I get billed next month, or if anything shows up in the customer notification of the bill about some kind of promotion. If I get charges, I'll remove it (she says they have no way of telling if I actually use it, so no chance of getting a credit if I am billed and don't use it.

I'll update the group with what I find, but I am seriously thinking this has to do with the Bing app and they just didn't adequately educate customer service.

Alan
    Turns out it was just an error on the web page. I did get charged for 1 month of VZ Navigator. Oh well..... It was interesting to be able to compare it to the other apps, so worth the $10 for one month. Given the choices available, I would say not worth $10 every month though.

Alan
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    RAZR & DROID 1
    I have had stuff show up on my VZ account that I didn't request. VZ removed them as well as gave me credit and were very nice about it so you may want to check and see. Then take that $10 and buy us a drink
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by obxsalvo View Post
    I have had stuff show up on my VZ account that I didn't request. VZ removed them as well as gave me credit and were very nice about it so you may want to check and see. Then take that $10 and buy us a drink
    When I first saw it on the account, I called to see if it was some kind of promotion (because I certainly didn't add it). The rep said she would remove it then, and credit my for the one day, but since it still showed no cost on the account, I decided to risk leaving it on and seeing if I got billed. She said if I did that she would not be able to credit it because there is no way for them to tell whether I actually used the feature or not. So, it was a $10 experiment. No major harm done.

Alan
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Links