DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opera Mobile 10.1 Beta... Browser Experience Currently Unmatched On Android

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid 1
    ok thats what i read after i downloaded it and posted....im in favor of x scope myself as of now but i will def try this out when it comes out cause i have always like opera myself
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1
    I'm gonna be Mr. skeptic here. I think Opera is losing it's major advantage, which is speed, with the new Opera Mobile. The current Opera Mini, is THE FASTEST browser available today in the Android field. But fastest doesn't mean the best. Some complex web pages don't show up good (they don't format well) on our Android screens. It seems that the new Opera Mobile addresses and fixes the formatting of pages, but at the cost of a slower speed. This puts the new Opera Mobile on the same ground as other available browsers instead having it's own niche (speed).

Currently, I use both the default browser and Opera Mini. Each has it's own place and use. Try browsing the LA Times, NY Times, Wall Street Journal, etc. on both. Not just open the site and scroll around, but click on articles and then go back. When you've read an article and press the back button, you'll see it takes significant time to load the original page again, but with Opera Mini, it loads instantly. You will see Opera Mini is MATERIALLY faster than any other Android browser. There is a good reason for this. The Opera Mini sends all web page requests to their own servers which then fetch (and often cache) the pages and then forwards it as one whole piece (compressed) to the Opera Mini browser. This is why it's so much faster than other browsers who send requests directly to web pages and the download the page and it's advertisements from many various servers. Of course, this also means your passwords to websites are also stored on Opera's servers!

The Opera Mobile acts like other browsers but going directly to the web pages to get the data. It bypasses their own servers. So the new Opera Mobile will be SLOWER than the current Opera Mini. But as I stated above, it will display pages more correctly than Opera Mini.

I hope they don't take Opera Mini off the market and replace it with Opera Mobile. I'm all for speed when browsing large pages such as the Wall Street Journal.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    D1, DX2
    Ooh sounds interesting. I'm using Skyfire at the moment and once this beta comes out and people say it's that it's good as it is, I might jump ship to Opera. But Skyfire's been treating me nicely so far.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    I use opera on my computer, and I absolutely love it. I used it on my ipod touch for a little bit, but in the end I quit using it because of the fact that you couldn't watch any videos or see most pictures on it because it didn't support some plug-in. Maybe it's been fixed by now, but my droid has consumed my life instead. Hopefully it's better than the terrible firefox release we got!
  5. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    1036 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Premium Member
    I'll give it a try. I was using dolphin for a while, but settled on xscope. I found using chrome to phone saves time too
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    The software was demoed by Techcrunch, and it was so smooth while scrolling and using pinch to zoom that you would think it came with butter for the grease. Every blog that has watched the video says the experience looks equal or better than what you will get with the iPhone, which as you know, is el-Capitan in that department.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Will give this a try. I've had XScope, Opera and stock browser on my phone but have always used XScope.

I HATE the latest XScope update. I dropped Dolphin HD because I was having problems with it and hated it asking me to clear caches before exiting every time. I might check it out again.

Need to start backing up apps in case I get a d/l of an app I don't like. I REALLY liked my old XScope but now the interface just seems a bit clunky like with Dolphin HD (at least when it first came out).
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I've been using Opera Mini, xscope, Skyfire and the default browser. Mini is hands down the fastest of the bunch but not perfect, IMO. I don't like the pinch-to-zoom in Mini, as I can't get in close enough. If Mobile loses that speed advantage then I suspect I'll move to Skyfire for most browsing. I'll give Mobile a chance, though.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    I've been using Mini for a while as well and I agree with what the others have to say about it not being able to render some pages correctly. Hopefully Opera Mobile will fix that because the browser interface looks so smooth and amazing.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    Just tired opera mini and it seems blazing fast compared to dolphin that im used to and I love the interface.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links