DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gingerbread Features/Improvements Explained

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Twitter
    WMPerson
    Phone
    T-mobile G2x
    Premium Member

Gingerbread Features/Improvements Explained

You might not know this, but when it comes to Gingerbread, I am very uninformed. I do not know what the improvements will be, except for the Sony PS3 integration SE is promising, I am clueless... But this article is for people like me.

The article talks about the changes that we should experience, the great improvements we should expect and some other things we should hope for.

Here is a quick excerpt:

These are the two biggest improvements, but there are a lot of other new features and bug fixes. Android 3.0 will be more stable, have an advanced task management system which will control hanged applications and battery life, it will have advanced support for Adobe Flash and WebM, better copy-paste functionalities, better support for video calls and 3D applications (with new OpenGL drivers).
    Now go to their site and get the full improvement. Before you do so, keep in mind, if Froyo has already been rated better than iPhone software.... What shall happen with Gingerbread drops?

News via: Forum
    There is probable a million things about me that you don't know. Check out my About.me page
    About.me
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    WoW cant wait.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2
    Don't hold your breath with the ui 'enhancements' being a thing of the past. We're still going to have to wait for motorola to crap all over this release before we ever see it.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @NatttyBee
    Phone
    Dev Razr HD, Dev Razr M
    Quote Originally Posted by Druuseph View Post
    Don't hold your breath with the ui 'enhancements' being a thing of the past. We're still going to have to wait for motorola to crap all over this release before we ever see it.
    So full of optimism, aren't you?
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    222 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid3
    Thanks Wen, nice report. Too bad it's an "insider" commentary rather than a confirmed story, but I'll take my Gingerbread (or is it "Garlic"?) any way I can get it!

Despite those requirements, a couple of developers have actually installed and ran Android 3.0 on a Motorola Droid, and while it was slow, it was pretty usable.
    I am assuming that rooted users who overclock will have a better experience?

This is thanks to the UI code being integrated into the core of Android itself, which also means that third party interfaces like the Motoblur and Sense may be a thing of the past (the manufacturers can still choose to use them, though).
    Definitely good news, as far as creating a consistent user experience (I don't mind optional UI skins). But does "integrated into the core" mean that modded themes will be a problem?

The release is set for late October, 2010, and thatís when weíll know all the details but itís believed that the Android 3.0 release date will be in time for this yearís autumn/winter smartphone collection.
    Completely, totally, not gonna happen. After our experiences with Eclair and Froyo, who really thinks anything is coming end of October? OK, let me restate: Google will RELEASE source in October, but no phone manufacturer (OH, and don't forget the carrier!) will have it ready before XMAS. Just being realistic here.

-Matt
    Meaning of gadgetrants:
    (1) Goes on rants about gadgets
    (2) Gadgets put him in a trants (er...um, trance)
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus / Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Druuseph View Post
    I thought I had read somewhere that Gingerbread was so awesome there would be no need for the UI enhancements (ie blur and sense).
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X (I won in Cleveland!)
    Quote Originally Posted by cjriddle22 View Post
    I thought I had read somewhere that Gingerbread was so awesome there would be no need for the UI enhancements (ie blur and sense).
    They are making the UI much better, but it's up to the manufacturer to decided if they want to skin it, and we all know they will because they are morons.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Can't wait til the 3.0 roms to start rolling in!
    CM 6.1.2
    Stock Theme/ADW Launcher
    P3's 1.2ghz LV Kernal
    Quadrant 1709
    Next phone: TBA
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    400 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Wonder if the DroidX will ever see this update. The DX specs will run it just fine, but will verizon update it or not since it is at the 'bottom' of the spectrum for the specs.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by johnomaz View Post
    Wonder if the DroidX will ever see this update. The DX specs will run it just fine, but will verizon update it or not since it is at the 'bottom' of the spectrum for the specs.
    I don't see why it wouldn't. Here's my take on this...the Droid X only got 2.2 last because, well, it was the last of the devices released that got the update. VZW went in order of phone releases, slightly straying due to the Droid 2 release.

Droid 1 was released first, got 2.2 first.
    Droid 2 was being released during the 2.2 frenzy so I guess they went ahead and released the phone with 2.2 on it.
    Droid Incredible was 2nd released, so it go the next round of 2.2
    Droid X was released 3rd, so it got the last round.

I predict they'll go in proper order for 3.0: D1 and DInc (if eligible...don't see why not), then DX, then D2.

And yeah...even though they claim 3.0 will start being available at the end of October, I doubt Verizon devices will see it before the end of the year. I predict February at the earliest.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links