DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What Do You Think Of The iPhone 4 On VZW

Voters
516. You may not vote on this poll
  • Na, They still can't take us on

103 19.96%
  • Ya, I am excited to get one

86 16.67%
  • Are you kidding? I am Going to store and laughing at people buying it

139 26.94%
  • I Could Care less

188 36.43%
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone Coming To Verizon Due To Droid Fears

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Twitter
    WMPerson
    Phone
    T-mobile G2x
    Premium Member

iPhone Coming To Verizon Due To Droid Fears

This is the reason NYT has as to why Apple is so excited to bring their iPhone to our great network. NYT thinks since the Droid is "ruling the air," Apple can only compete if they put their device on the same battle field as the Droid universe and drop that crap they call At&t. The current smartphone sales figures are around 32% for the Droids, and the iPhone is only sitting on 25% of all smartphone sales in the US of A.

Now if they were to bring the iPhone 4 to Big Boss network (Verizon Wireless), this might bring their sales up a significant amount. This growth will be due to people that are avid iPod, Macbook, iPad users and people that get lost in the Droid, also known as my grandparents that keep asking when the iPhone 4 is coming.

“Android has tremendous momentum,” said A. M. Sacconaghi Jr., an analyst with the research firm Sanford C. Bernstein & Company. Mr. Sacconaghi said that the growth of Android was in large part because the iPhone was not available on Verizon and some major carriers overseas. “Apple moving to sign up these carriers is very important to help mitigate Android momentum,” he said.
    Sounds about right.
    “It is going to have a fairly disruptive impact when it lands,” said Charles Wolf, an analyst with Needham & Company.
    To be honest, I think this will bring the biggest battle the mobile industry has ever seen. America is all about the battle, and when two strong rivals are in one place, it will always start a little something that will end only with sales figures.

Now I am posting this article to ask you two question. Do you think they still stand a chance against the ever growing Android world? Would you buy the iPhone if it was released with LTE (which it should be since then they can call it the 4G, not 4)? Reply and tell us.

Personally if this happens, I will be a little worried about how ads will be done now. I mean Droids have many ads that are always running, but I am sure Apple will want to put just as much great ads out there as well, so that might get a little annoying.

News Via: NYT
    Last edited by WenWM; 10-10-2010 at 07:33 AM.
    There is probable a million things about me that you don't know. Check out my About.me page
    About.me

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    True:
    CNN saw all the attention that the Wall Street Journal has gotten when it has "confirmed" every 6 months that the iPhone is coming to Verizon for the past 2 1/2 years. They wanted in on that attention (and advertising revenue).

False:
    The iPhone is coming to Verizon.

Three words, people: Grain. Of. Salt.
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Premium Member
    For the nay sayers let me tell you tha the Iphone is coming to big red in Jan. Not too far off from now. Atleast that is the schedule as of last week.

As for LTe that's what i'm told also. The Iphone will be on the LTE network .... as far as competition. I am not sure of how much it will be for the Droid devices. Plues we will all see the Inredible HD still and some other Droids bnefore that.

I say bring it on and let VZW reign Supreme. Cause once that happens it's all over for ATT
    Sometimes , It is what it is !
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I think there will be a significant percentage of users who switch to the IPhone, but I don't think it's an Android killer. I believe many folks will switch back and forth between the two OS when they get a new phone. There will also be many users like my son who will switch because of the buzz factor. We don't have ATT in MT, but I know several people who have IPhones in WA and many aren't big fans. I think long term Android will eventually take over. I see similarities between this battle and the IBM vs MS struggle in the 80's. IBM focused on hardware and MS focused on software. We all know how that turned out.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Miami1683 View Post
    The Iphone will be on the LTE network ....
    ...source?
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Make no mistake, this will be a huge blow to Android. A huge blow. I'd be willing to guess that close to 2/3 of the Android users on Verizon went with it because they could not get the iPhone. Now, you have to think that a lot of them were converted to Android only, but even if half of them weren't, you're looking at a 33% immediate loss in Android users when the iPhone comes over. Thats big. Maybe some of them will come back, but I doubt it. Android has enough backing that it should be able to weather the storm and come out roses on the other side, but it will be a very rough time, and you're likely to see the value of current Android phones on Verizon plummet to hopefully stem the tide of the Apple takeover. I sure hope Motorola and HTC have some amazing phones due at that time, or Apple will just walk to dominance.

What I am not looking forward to is the fact that this will cripple the 3G and 4G Verizon networks basically overnight. If you thought AT&T was bad, just wait. Verizon has already been showing signs of a slowed down network with the success of the Droids, and if you add the iPhone hysteria to it, goodbye fast network. That right there is reason enough in itself for me to strongly consider a move to Sprint for the HTC Evo if this ever happens.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Miami1683 View Post
    For the nay sayers let me tell you tha the Iphone is coming to big red in Jan. Not too far off from now. Atleast that is the schedule as of last week.

As for LTe that's what i'm told also. The Iphone will be on the LTE network .... as far as competition. I am not sure of how much it will be for the Droid devices. Plues we will all see the Inredible HD still and some other Droids bnefore that.

I say bring it on and let VZW reign Supreme. Cause once that happens it's all over for ATT
    Are you kidding me? Verizon will not have any LTE phones out in January, nor does Apple have any of the testing equipment for LTE (we were shown their testing rooms/cells a few months ago and there was not one machine made for LTE.) That's not something that you just install over the weekend. Also, Qualcomm, one of the apparent manufacturing companies, is (apparently) creating a CDMA version, not once does any article say an LTE version of the device is being made. Please tell me which sources you are referring to.

This same rumor comes around every year. And every year it gets shut down by January or June and people just recycle it 6 months later. Get over it everyone. It's a phone. Is it a good phone? Absolutely. Is it overrated? Absolutely. Does sitting here speculating whether or not it is coming in January actually solidify it into fact? Absolutely not. So who cares? Just wait until December 31st or for some actual facts come out before making polls and writing opinions. You might just be wasting your time.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Boooooooooo
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Rooted
    Stock ICS
    No SetCPU
  10. RS/Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Twitter
    OneCraigB
    Phone
    HTC One
    I have mixed feelings about it. For one I don't care if iPhone comes to VZW. If it does there will be a drop, IMO of Android phones...and all others to be honest..at first.
    Competition can be a good thing, and the war between Android and Apple will just heat up more. If that happens hopefully we will see better devices, which is what we want anyway right?
    Stock Rooted HTC Rezound
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Links