DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HTC Locking Phones Now Like Motorola

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Twitter
    WMPerson
    Phone
    T-mobile G2x
    Premium Member

HTC Locking Phones Now Like Motorola

Originally I did not care about Motorola locking their phones, and truthfully it did not effect, but now HTC is doing it as well and my new G2 is unrootable. That's right, that thing we have all been mad at Motorola for doing, HTC is doing it as well. In a recent article by AC, they brought to our attention what T-mobile's response to HTC locking the device and how people are reacting to it.

Bellevue, Wash. — Oct. 7, 2010 As pioneers in Android-powered mobile devices, T-Mobile and HTC strive to support innovation. The T-Mobile G2 is a powerful and highly customizable Android-powered smartphone, which customers can personalize and make their own, from the look of their home screen to adding their favorite applications and more.

The HTC software implementation on the G2 stores some components in read-only memory as a security measure to prevent key operating system software from becoming corrupted and rendering the device inoperable. There is a small subset of highly technical users who may want to modify and re-engineer their devices at the code level, known as “rooting,” but a side effect of HTC’s security measure is that these modifications are temporary and cannot be saved to permanent memory. As a result the original code is restored.
    If that does not get you mad, think how I feel after spending $500 on this new phone, to find out that I cannot do anything or get the new Sense on it. I mean why do they care what I do with my phone, after I mod it, I can't return it, so why go through all this extra things to make my life hard.

What do you think about this? Are you supporting this choice HTC is starting to do?

There is probable a million things about me that you don't know. Check out my About.me page
    About.me

3. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    D2 - Team DeFuse
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Well you could return the phone. For real, if you root and then reboot you no longer have root? That is nuts. I was thinking of getting the Verizon model but now I will just stick with my D2. At least I can root it and run my Super Clean ROM on it which is almost plain android besides the blur dialer and contacts
    Follow me on Twitter
    If you would like to make a donation, you may do so by clicking HERE.
    Team DeFuse Website
    IRC - http://webchat.freenode.net/ #teamdefuse
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Well Droid lovers - welcome to the world of Apple where the manufacturer makes all your decisions for you... It appears my Droid will live much longer than I planned. I sure hope someone makes a modifiable one once 4g, or whatever you want to call it, comes out. Just give us one with all the bells and whistles that we can mod. Give the rest to the masses...
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Wow non rootable, for now anyway....we will have to see what happens once the folks with the knowledge have time and resources to chip at it.

Hmmm Moto's bootloader + the G2's current non root security....I would hate to see a combo of the two..
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid
    One of the news articles i read said that HTC didn't know about this unrooting thing and blamed the carrier or google.
  7. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    D2 - Team DeFuse
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joeybarclay View Post
    One of the news articles i read said that HTC didn't know about this unrooting thing and blamed the carrier or google.
    Thanks for the good laugh...sure need it since I am fighting with my car company and dealer now. Why must all companies treat us like crap? I guess we are just all droids to them...
    Follow me on Twitter
    If you would like to make a donation, you may do so by clicking HERE.
    Team DeFuse Website
    IRC - http://webchat.freenode.net/ #teamdefuse
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Come on wheres all the "no more HTC products for me" posts? I may not be able to change kernals on my X but I don't lose changes when I reboot.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Phone
    Moto X / 4.4
    The Android manufacturers had better ease up. Every time Apple releases an iOS update it's jailbroken within days. That keeps the portion of their users who like to experiment and personalize the phones happy. The X has been out for months with no true root, and quite frankly, I think if a bootloader hack doesn't happen by the end of the month it probably won't happen. Now enter HTC with this. I REALLY like what you can do with Android after you root it. Making it more difficult is a SERIOUS drawback.

I have to be honest. If the next version of iPhone comes to Verizon I might be out, especially if they get ridiculous with lockdowns on Android phones. After you make the networks equal, there is no truly compelling reason to remain loyal to one platform or another.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Motorola has screwed up and now HTC is following suit. They do realize that once the dev/mod scene gives up on them their products will die off. On a better note this isn't quite as bad as Motorola which is hardware encryption. Once the kernel source is released this can be killed off pretty quickly.
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  11. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    If it weren't for the "Oh noes, I messed up my device screwing with custom ROMs and now it doesn't work. How can I lie to my carrier to get them to replace my device for free?" mentality; we wouldn't be facing problems like this.

I honestly think these things are being locked down because of rampant warranty fraud.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Links