DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do You Care?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, Nokia Can Go Burn In Finland

73 86.90%
  • Yes, They Are The Biggest Phone Marker, So I want Something

2 2.38%
  • Maybe, If their Solution Is Something Great

9 10.71%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nokia Does Not Want Android... Do You Care?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Nokia is still around???
    I don't care one bit.
    I've never liked Nokia phones. They always looked boring and felt cheap.

It doesn't make sense to not go with Android. Any idiot can tell that in a year or two Android will have be taking over the market.

Whatever. I'm a motorola fan anyway.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    It's all about the app market when it comes down to it. A well fleshed out and continually upgraded app market is what is driving the iPhone forward, and if it continues for Android, Android will continue as a winner. So many of the other systems have essentially no app market, or a very expensive app market with few choices.

Hardware is in one sense incidental. Yes, we want faster, better, larger, etc, but the ultimate piece of hardware that really can't do anything because there is no programming available that I can afford does noting for me.
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    hahaaa nokia. what an irrelevant company
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    394 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Nokia is an old company in the realm of cell phones. They have seen bad times before and survived. I am betting they see the current market of cell phones dying off and they will reign king once again (did they ever truely reign king before...). Frankly, they are in denial. Unless they do something drastic, they are toast, or will eventually start making Android phones.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3
    This thread made me laugh. When was the last time nokia even put anything out for US consumption, 2004? And even when they were relevant, their phones sucked. So no, I really don't care about nakio, nikoa, oh that's right Nokia.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    dont care for Nokia. Android ftw!
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    I dont care that they dont want Android. I want Android. Thats all that matters. I would like to see Android on a Nokia smartphone tho, just to see what they could bring to the table.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1
    At the same time motorola is a really old cell phone company, yet they managed to come out as a big player with the droid/milestone lineup and more.

If nokia chooses to go another route, more power to them, its gonna be interesting to see what they'll do. If they have another app market, devs will scream, though. Ios, winmo 7, android, webOS, and the latest version of whatever nokia comes up with?

Tapatalk on Motorola Droid, UDeXtreme 8.0.0
    Droid RAZR MAXX/ DROID 2 Global/ DROID 1 with DROID 2 EXTENDED BATTERY (BP7X - 1860 mAh)
    ICS /Stock 2.2/UltimateDroid 1.0.0
    Stock Kernel/ChevyNo1's ULowV 1.25 GHz kernel
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    None
    Sigh... the remarks made by Nokia had nothing to do with the user or the probable popularity of Android. Instead they were talking about the long term profitability of Android for the manufacturer.

What they are expecting is that Android phones will go the way of Windows PC computers, where there will be little to differentiate a Motorola from an HTC. They will have to compete entirely on specs and pricing.

For the consumer this isn't such a bad thing. It means major price and spec wars. For the manufacturer it means marginalized profits, just like in the low end PC market. It also means that Android would probably become one of the biggest, if not the biggest, OS in the mobil market.

The is no telling if this will happen at this point. Each manufacturer is struggling to make sure that their Android offering is unique, offering different front ends and wide variations in design. A good portion of what dissatisfies current Android geeks is nothing more than manufactures trying their best to stay unique and build customer loyalty to their brand.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1
    Quote Originally Posted by TwerpPoet View Post
    Sigh... the remarks made by Nokia had nothing to do with the user or the probable popularity of Android. Instead they were talking about the long term profitability of Android for the manufacturer.

What they are expecting is that Android phones will go the way of Windows PC computers, where there will be little to differentiate a Motorola from an HTC. They will have to compete entirely on specs and pricing.

For the consumer this isn't such a bad thing. It means major price and spec wars. For the manufacturer it means marginalized profits, just like in the low end PC market. It also means that Android would probably become one of the biggest, if not the biggest, OS in the mobil market.

The is no telling if this will happen at this point. Each manufacturer is struggling to make sure that their Android offering is unique, offering different front ends and wide variations in design. A good portion of what dissatisfies current Android geeks is nothing more than manufactures trying their best to stay unique and build customer loyalty to their brand.
    I see what you're saying, but I think its actually NOT short-sighted to go with an OS like Android.

That's part of the reason PC's became so widespread and Apple's Commodores etc.. became "bleh", is the Multiple manufacturers yet one common OS. It allows developers and such to focus their energies on one maybe two OS's to write software for.

I'm focusing on Motorola, but mainly because their Mobile division was in the pits just prior to releasing phones such as the Droid/Droid X/Milestone (and their other Android models), so it basically turned the Mobile division of Motorola into a profit-making enterprise once again.

As for the other Manufacturers, companies like HTC, who have been making smartphones for a while now, have been making phones with multiple OS's: Windows Mobile, and now Android. I hear they're making a WinMo7 phone, too.

One could say back in the day Apple was far-sighted when they chose not to make yet another IBM-PC clone that would run Microsoft DOS, but Apple only truly came out of their "niche" market when they made the not-so-great-featured-but-highly-polished iPod. Ever since the iPod (and yea, the iMac) came out, people finally started looking their way.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links