DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Google Screw Motorola And Everyone Over?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Twitter
    WMPerson
    Phone
    T-mobile G2x
    Premium Member

Did Google Screw Motorola And Everyone Over?

When I read the article we originally posted, I wanted to understand why we had come to this where Microsoft (who usually is the one that is getting sued) is suing Motorola (their previous partner).

I went everywhere reading articles about Android and companies that have been sued in its direction and have figured out that it seems Google might be at fault. It's sad for me to say this but Google really screwed their partners with some parts of Android, and Microsoft being their big old self owns a lot of software rights. These rights were read over by HTC and they began paying a price to Microsoft which actually kept them safe from Apple and their dumb patents that no one should respect.

Either way I put it, this comment left on Engadget cannot be better at summing up this whole thing so people might understand it a bit more.

Android infringes on patents from Oracle, Apple, Microsoft, and Skyhook. I'm surprised the article doesn't mention this to remind people who the real culprit is...Im sorry, but Google completely screwed up big time and the hardware manufacturers have to pay for this. the manufacturers knew the risks of going with an OS that has no support program in place (that's what comes with no licensing fee)

Microsoft did not want to sue motorola, it was a last resort. they were in patent licensing discussions.....I'd like to remind everyone that HTC pays a licensing fee to microsoft because android infringes on microsoft patents (meaning HTC agrees with microsoft that android infringes on MS patents)..... when this deal happened, microsoft stated they are talking to to the others

Slashgear
    HTC agreed with microsoft, and their deal validates the Microsoft patents.

"“Microsoft has a decades-long record of investment in software platforms. As a result, we have built a significant patent portfolio in this field, and we have a responsibility to our customers, partners, and shareholders to ensure that competitors do not free ride on our innovations. We have also consistently taken a proactive approach to licensing to resolve IP infringement by other companies, and have been talking with several device manufacturers to address our concerns relative to the Android mobile platform.”"

when htc did this licensing deal, Microsoft stated that they are "working with other android manufacturers to get licensing deals done." Microsoft tries to not sue, theyre usually GETTING sued.

It looks like Microsoft has the upper hand in court because HTC validated their patents by enterring a licensing deal.

Since android has no licensing fee, google doesn't provide an indemnification program. Meaning, they dont support the OS, legally or technically. You really do get what you pay for here.

oracle suing google because of android infringing on patents:
    Cnet

apple suing HTC because of android infringing on patents:
    Engadget

HTC enters licensing agreement because of android infringing Microsoft patents: Slashgear

Skyhook sues Google for business interference and patent infringement in Android: Engadget
    With all this in mind, do you think Google screwed over Motorola in this case or do you still think Microsoft is just being petty? Do you understand why the open source choice was made by Google?
    There is probable a million things about me that you don't know. Check out my About.me page
    About.me

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X/EVO 3D/GTab 10.1/GNex
    It's more likely that these companies simply don't want to get caught up in never-ending litigation and find it easier to just pay for it to go away. If Microsoft really believes Android infringes on their patents they should sue Google. But we all know they won't because Google has pockets deep enough to vigorously defend itself. HTC and Motorola aren't small companies but they don't have Google money and they need to maintain good relations with Microsoft.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Twitter
    WMPerson
    Phone
    T-mobile G2x
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cj100570 View Post
    It's more likely that these companies simply don't want to get caught up in never-ending litigation and find it easier to just pay for it to go away. If Microsoft really believes Android infringes on their patents they should sue Google. But we all know they won't because Google has pockets deep enough to vigorously defend itself. HTC and Motorola aren't small companies but they don't have Google money and they need to maintain good relations with Microsoft.
    Here is where Google is smart....
    Microsoft can't sue them. They are practically untouchable...
    Android is free and open sources, which means Google technically is not making money from it. Which makes them pretty much unsueable in this situation as far as I know. Now if Google made Android a paid service... Apple, Microsoft, Orecal, and everyone else could go at them randomly and recklessly.
    There is probable a million things about me that you don't know. Check out my About.me page
    About.me
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Sorry.. but just because one company agrees to fall for overstepping patent abuse does NOT validate the patent. Not in court OR in logic.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Giving it away for free doesnt absolve them of liability. Infringement can be proven simply by showing that Google knowingly and willingly included features that are valid patents held by another entity. Microsoft is simply aiming for the low man on the totem pole. I'd like to see them aim their lawyers at Samsung since obviously they must violating MS patents too. But somehow I'm betting that won't happen since Samsung is also as large as they are.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    ....features that are valid patents held by another entity....
    Key word is valid. Microsoft has been crying about their patents existing in Linux for years, but has yet to prove it.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    that sucks and htc backing the patents up hurt, but google was smart to leave themselves safe (big jerks).

the good news is that HTC (my favorite android phone producer (hardware and software wise)) is safe from these
    got eris: 12/24/09
    returned eris: 12/28/09
    got droid: 12/31/09
    rooted droid: sometime in january (right after it was released (manually))
    bb->2.1 sbf->desire rom> 2.1bb> 2.2
    got incredible as warranty replacement 8/31/10
    shattered inc screen 9/25/10-> got insurace replacement 10/4/10
    broke inc screen 10/19/10-> got warranty replacement 10/22/10
    got moto droid 1 off ebay 1/7/11
    broke inc screen 5/26/11-> got insurance replacement inc2 5/27/11
    sold inc2 & bought vzw 16gb iphone 4 6/9/11
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by heem View Post
    ....features that are valid patents held by another entity....
    Key word is valid. Microsoft has been crying about their patents existing in Linux for years, but has yet to prove it.
    You hit the nail right on the head! Microsoft is full of (s)ugar (h)oney (i)ce (t)ea!
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Some of these patents are rediculous. It is one thing when you have implemented an idea and have it work and be functional, but to draw it on paper with no idea how to make it work is BS. However, based on microsofts history, they have probably done their dudiligence and are in the right.
    I think google has done a lot to bring a quality OS to the table to create better products for everyone. Microsoft, Apple, and Google are all needed here. "The Big Three" lets work together people.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    can someone dumb this down a bit i dont understand at all

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links