DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did Google Screw Motorola And Everyone Over?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by tktouch12 View Post
    htc backing the patents up hurt
    Believing that HTC purchasing a patent 'license' (extortion) meaning ANYTHING legally is akin to believing that if your grandmother sent money to a Nigerian scammer, then there must really be a Prince that needs your help exporting millions of dollars...
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto D2
    The nine patents in question in the ITC complaint include:

• 5,579,517: Common name space for long and short filenames
    • 5,758,352: Common name space for long and short filenames
    • 6,621,746: Monitoring entropic conditions of a flash memory device as an indicator for invoking erasure operations
    • 6,826,762: Radio interface layer in a cell phone with a set of APIs having a hardware-independent proxy layer and a hardware-specific driver layer
    • 6,909,910: Method and system for managing changes to a contact database
    • 7,644,376: Flexible architecture for notifying applications of state changes
    • 5,664,133: Context sensitive menu system/menu behavior
    • 6,578,054: Method and system for supporting off-line mode of operation and synchronization using resource state information
    • 6,370,566: Generating meeting requests and group scheduling from a mobile device
    Is MS claiming that because Android OS can perform these functions at all it's infringement, or that the OS has it coded in such a manner that it's viewed as infringement?

3. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    roastbeafman87
    Phone
    DROID2
    Quote Originally Posted by tkins
    They can already blatantly infringe on your patents. They have so many of their own patents that are so overly broad and so obvious that there's absolutely no hope whatsoever for any program or system of even modest complexity to not be infringing on several of them.

Just look at the patents involved in this discussion. Are we really meant to believe that it is somehow acceptable, justified, and morally imperative for Microsoft to claim the exclusive right to mobile email synchronization?

You can't do anything at all without violating software patents. As a small company, any patents that you have offer zero protection.

"Hey Microsoft, stop infringing on our patent!"
    "Oh hello you adorable little company. Guess who is infringing on hundreds upon hundreds of our tenuous software patents? That's right, you are!"

And then you just end up giving them the right to your little nonsense patent anyway, and probably pay them significant licensing fees for their piles of nonsense in the process. The entire system is broken, and abolishing software patents wouldn't hurt small innovators in the slightest--quite the contrary actually.

Here we have a very large company trying to extort money from a smaller company for having the audacity to use Android to compete against a Windows Mobile platform that was effectively abandoned. Does anyone out there really think that competitive interests are being served here? Does anyone out there really think that Microsoft deserves a cut of Android profits simply because they filed paperwork regarding the obvious idea of mobile email? Would the mobile world be a better place if the Android developers had said "Well, Microsoft has effectively patented mobile email. I guess they get to be the only operating system in the game for a while."?

Patents are meant to encourage and protect innovation. Software patents are doing the opposite.
    I can't imagine putting my own thoughts to better words. This guy said it perfectly.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Open handset alliance;
    Alliance Members | Open Handset Alliance

Android isn't just Google.

Just thought I'd point that out before this debate continued.
    Its all data.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    roastbeafman87
    Phone
    DROID2
    Quote Originally Posted by heem View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cj100570 View Post
    ....features that are valid patents held by another entity....
    Key word is valid. Microsoft has been crying about their patents existing in Linux for years, but has yet to prove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerxplur View Post
    can someone dumb this down a bit i dont understand at all
    Microsoft has decided to sue Motorola for the use mobile sync of things like Calendar and e-mail. Candroid's post lists the specific patents, but what I've mentioned is basically what it comes down to.

The idea of Motorola paying MS to include the GMail app in Android is so screwed up I can't even begin to get into it. All I can say is read my previous post.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    The patent office needs to pull it's head out. Some of the patents that are granted nowadays are absolutely bonkers. Not saying this is one of them but half the crap Apple patents is ridiculous.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3
    It sounds almost like the game monopoly. Like Motorola landed on park place which Microsoft owns with hotels and google is safe because they pull the cards that keep them getting richer. Seems like an adequate analogy.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    This will probably be settled in a month or less. Moto will agree to make a few phones for the WIN platform, sign a statement, offer some fees (which we will pay for in the long run) and move on.

Just imagine MOTO WINX and a R2M7 models hitting your local provider stores in a few months.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC 6800 for now

Well

The law is the law. I'm sure that this has been in the works, however, It is odd that this comes to the forefront when Android begins taking market share. I know that they have created many tools and programs, that have accelerated the the industry, but maybe they should make theirs function properly before chasing patents.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RETG View Post
    This will probably be settled in a month or less. Moto will agree to make a few phones for the WIN platform, sign a statement, offer some fees (which we will pay for in the long run) and move on.

Just imagine MOTO WINX and a R2M7 models hitting your local provider stores in a few months.
    This is where I see it going as well. No one is ever going to go to a courtroom with this because it would end the extortion fees that are given behind the scenes. In fact, Motorola holding out forces Microsoft into a position they don't want to be in even if they are in a position to win the case. Patent laws don't protect a damn thing, they are just used as a way to get backroom income from your competitors in a way that screws customers more than it does the other company.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links