DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Thread: Second Android Update 2.2 Froyo (FRG22 Rolling) Out Now

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan82 View Post
    So the question for some of us newbies is, if we rooted our phone using an app like "Easy Root," do we have to unroot before applying this update? If so, can the update (FRG22D) be rooted using Easy Root?
    easy root doesn't work... about to try universal androot, or whatever it's called
    nevermind, according to droid-life, androot doesn't work either
    Confirmed, I just went from rooted FRG01B to unrooted FRG22D.
  2. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwoid View Post
    This is from Google's website, and it is the size of the file that is supposed to be delivered, so it might be the right one...

That said, this update has a number of different files in it than P3Droid's FRG22D. It is of course a partial patch... Where P3Droid's FRG22D appears to be a complete update...

And more importantly, this new update includes a new recovery image. I have to wonder if this new recovery image is locked similarly as the recovery image has been on the Droid2.

If you like having your Droid1 rooted, or if you ever want to root your Droid1, I'd strongly suggest waiting to hear more about this from the pros before attemping to install it.
    I tried to install it. SPRecovery blocked it. I renamed the file update.zip and it still blocked it.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    This is from Google's website, and it is the size of the file that is supposed to be delivered, so it might be the right one...

That said, this update has a number of different files in it than P3Droid's FRG22D. It is of course a partial patch... Where P3Droid's FRG22D appears to be a complete update...

And more importantly, this new update includes a new recovery image. I have to wonder if this new recovery image is locked similarly as the recovery image has been on the Droid2.

If you like having your Droid1 rooted, or if you ever want to root your Droid1, I'd strongly suggest waiting to hear more about this from the pros before attemping to install it.
    It's official, and the bootloader is not locked (I just flashed sprecovery). It has a new feature built into it (like FRG01B) where it restores stock recovery upon reboot after flashing sprecovery (or cw), but that can be worked around.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member

It's official, and the bootloader is not locked (I just flashed sprecovery). It has a new feature built into it (like FRG01B) where it restores stock recovery upon reboot after flashing sprecovery (or cw), but that can be worked around.
    Here's the thread by Motocache talking about what he calls FRS (Flash Recovery Service): http://www.droidforums.net/forum/res...s-version.html

Guidelines of Conduct
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    So this means Droids can be rooted post-patch?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member

Here's the thread by Motocache talking about what he calls FRS (Flash Recovery Service): http://www.droidforums.net/forum/res...s-version.html
    Sorry - that thread links to it, but here's the actual thread discussing it: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...artitions.html

Guidelines of Conduct
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    To sum this stuff up...it appears there is no advantage to updating to FRG22D. (I already have FlashPlayer) if someone is on a custom ROM FRG22D would nullify the ROM more than likely unless the builder had it setup to run on 22D. I understand EasyRoot and the other one-click app will not work on 22D so someone would have to do the other work around to root. As of right now it would just be better to wait if phone is rooted and have FlashPlayer etc. than going to FRG22D. Did I hit that on the head? Just a few replies will suffice.
  8. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1561 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    Yes osprey ......22D will only benifit the non root users.

Sent from my Droid
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    To sum this stuff up...it appears there is no advantage to updating to FRG22D. (I already have FlashPlayer) if someone is on a custom ROM FRG22D would nullify the ROM more than likely unless the builder had it setup to run on 22D. I understand EasyRoot and the other one-click app will not work on 22D so someone would have to do the other work around to root. As of right now it would just be better to wait if phone is rooted and have FlashPlayer etc. than going to FRG22D. Did I hit that on the head? Just a few replies will suffice.
    Osprey,

While I do not want to contradict CK (as he has the ability to send me to oblivion), the advantage I see to 22D with regard to market is having flash and other google apps installed properly. By properly I mean with the ability to get automatic market updates. I had the original FRF22 installed, but quite a few of the newer google apps and flash were via manual install, with no market link.

One other point is that CVPCS reported (more confirmed) that there are indeed a couple of different files as they relate to gps and wifi. So, if your phone is running fine on all points, and you can live with keeping manual track of some apps, then you are probably good to go.

Craig
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixGTR View Post
    So this means Droids can be rooted post-patch?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Evidently, yes. I haven't tried it myself (about to), but a couple of people are reporting that they were able to get root access post today's official 22D OTA patch with Motocache's method.

Guidelines of Conduct
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Links