DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: BGR Exclusive: Verizon Wireless 2010/2011 roadmap!

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG DROID // HTC Thunderbolt
    what is LTE? and will it be like data and i have to get it? that would make my plan into the 100s then
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedvenom View Post
    what is LTE? and will it be like data and i have to get it? that would make my plan into the 100s then
    wont let me delete my post?

i found it. ill stick with 3g. im not paying that amount
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    rkwilson07
    Phone
    Droid Charge
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    While getting the iPhone on Verizon would be a good move for Apple and Verizon, I don't think they'll be biting any time soon with the rush to Android and the rush from customers BUYING Android. Besides, the contract with AT&T isn't up yet.
    Many indicators pointing to January 2011 for Iphone on VZW.[/QUOTE]

Verizon CEO was talking about once LTE is here in 2012, it will do VoIP as well. I just hope Google Voice will be VoIP enabled sometime this year as Google said earlier this year.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    rkwilson07
    Phone
    Droid Charge
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoandGeo View Post
    I would LOVE to pay $60 a month for LTE data...That is if they allow me to drop voice/text plans and go completely IP.
    Verizon CEO was talking about once LTE is here in 2012, it will do VoIP as well. I just hope Google Voice will be VoIP enabled sometime this year as Google said earlier this year.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    rkwilson07
    Phone
    Droid Charge
    Quote Originally Posted by diverbelow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    While getting the iPhone on Verizon would be a good move for Apple and Verizon, I don't think they'll be biting any time soon with the rush to Android and the rush from customers BUYING Android. Besides, the contract with AT&T isn't up yet.
    Many indicators pointing to January 2011 for Iphone on VZW.
    Verizon CEO was talking about once LTE is here in 2012, it will do VoIP as well. I just hope Google Voice will be VoIP enabled sometime this year as Google said earlier this year.[/QUOTE]

Darn no edit button. Disregard the statement above.

According to my brother-n-law, the company he works out in Idaho, is currently testing iPhones' on Verizon network.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    The iphone thing could go either way. First of all the last good information is that the contract between AT&T and Apple ends in 2012, not next year. There has been speculation, but not based on any facts just musings and wishful thinking. Of course it's possible that they renegotiated the contract, but there's no evidence that they have and no reason to think that AT&T would. Bear in mind that AT&T desperately wants to renew the iphone deal, and now that Verizon and T-Mobile have android phones that are selling extremely well, Apple doesn't have the bargaining position it did several years ago when it's only challenger was RIM which was aiming more for business customers anyway. If AT&T loses exclusivity their company is going to have significant problems, especially with the bad press they've received about the spottiness of their network. Which means you can be guaranteed that AT&T is going to offer Apple another very tempting deal to keep the iphone. Whether they take it is anyone's guess, but if the 2012 date is still valid (and there's no reason to think that it isn't despite what a lot of people are wishing) they may find it much harder to penetrate the android market on verizon an t-mobile after two or three years of it being a viable alternative. I don't think I'm the only one who was waiting for the iphone to migrate but now would never give up my droid.

On the other topic of processor power, I'm curious how far they can push processor speed without much of a cooling system... there's probably some natural point where it just doesn't work. I would be more interested in them focusing on things like gpus and more memory.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    i was one of theme waiting for the iphone to come to another carrier, but i have a droid now. theres no way id ever go for the iphone at this point. also, if they let us drop out data packages and **** for LTE id be glad to pay that amount too. if thats our plan charge, yeah count me in. we'll see what happens
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    rkwilson07
    Phone
    Droid Charge
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemoneygreen View Post
    Global does not mean LTE, it means GSM quad-band and CDMA since we here on Verizon are using an "outdated" lower-frequency network.
    WE are on an outdated network? That is depressing...
    AT&T is running GSM, Verizon is running CDMA. Other than incompatibility and the impossibility of using our phones on another carrier's network, how does our service stack up against theirs?

CDMA uses a lower-frequency signal than GSM. In areas where there are obstructions or the signal needs to carry further, CDMA is actually better -- however, GSM carries more data per cycle. It's like the move from 900Mhz cordless phones to 2.4Ghz. Remember how much further we used to be able to go with our old clunky cordless phones? Same deal.
    Verizon has couple dual radio phones running on their network. The BB Storm and BB Tour and the BB 8830. They have dual radios and they work quite well on AT&T, TMO network in the US and excellent over seas.
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wsbsteven View Post
    Global does not mean LTE, it means GSM quad-band and CDMA since we here on Verizon are using an "outdated" lower-frequency network.
    CDMA is the more recent technology and lower frequency doesn't mean outdated.
    I agree with the latter half. It's apples to oranges -- more range/stronger signal versus more data per cycle. I'd rather have the stronger signal and more range for voice communication. It's digital anyway, so it's compressed before it's sent, which means the signal threshold survives at lower power levels.

As for the first part, I see what you mean. GSM has roots dating back to the mid 80's and CDMA is from around the mid 90's. The "outdated" part stems from global acceptance and compatibility. Now that "everyone" is on GSM it means CDMA is the outmoded form of communication. I'll start saying that from now on.

However, if it still functions, and in the application to which it's being applied it's the better system, how can it be outmoded? I'll leave that one to the engineers.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    A 1.3ghz iPad competitor that will be flash capable? Time for Apple to start sweating. Long live Android!!!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Links