DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 125 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: ALERT! 2.2 FroYo Circus continues...FRG01B is Official get it here.

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Twitter
    JefFullerMyself
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GOON View Post
    thats what i was thinking. ive searched on how to get back to stock 2.1 but there are so many diff tut, can someone point me in the right direction????
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...ot-unroot.html
    Anytime someone dares me to walk a mile in their shoes I do it! Because, hey free shoes and I am now a mile away from that person!

Hatred is by far the ugliest trait any human can possess (think about it)
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOON View Post
    thats what i was thinking. ive searched on how to get back to stock 2.1 but there are so many diff tut, can someone point me in the right direction????
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...ot-unroot.html
    look at box option 05
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSHGuru View Post
    I find it amazing that if you ask a question on rooting you get an instant answer, if not...

This forum has gone to the rooters.
    Part of it is the inundation of people asking the same question that anyone who actually read the original post would know the answer to. It's pretty clear:

For example -- "I forced my update last week -- will I get the new OTA?"

Answer: As a side note this new full update will not work once you use last weeks OTA update. The script specifically looks at what you currently have running.

It's even in bold, folks.

"Do I need to be rooted to install this?"

Answer:I verified this by using RSDLite 4.7 from Peter Alfonso along with the ESD20 SBF file (The original 2.0 that came on the DROID back in Nov when I got my phone), and then immediately...booted into recovery and let it run the update - and I now have a nice, virgin 2.2 (FRG01B) OS on my phone.

This shouldn't need explaining to anyone who rooted, but even those who didn't should pay attention to the following phrases -- "original 2.0 that came on the DROID" and "virgin 2.2". Since the Droid never came rooted from the factory the fact that he has a virgin install means it's not rooted now and it'll update from any previous version of Droid-flavored Android.

The rest of the post says it'll work with Clockwork Recovery, SPRecovery, and stock recovery, further proof you don't need to be rooted to get it. My Droid didn't come with SPRecovery on it, and I doubt yours came from Motorola with Clockwork Recovery on it either. It also says it's the exact same build as the OTA that went out, just a different file. This one replaces the entire OS instead of just patching files, so other than being a less-bootloop-prone method, it's the exact same thing as far as the end-user is concerned. Furthermore, since it's the same build, if you already updated you don't need to flash this one in, unless you're having some problems and think it might be due to the update. Then you should consider giving this a try and see if it fixes your issues.

So, now that the circus seems to be chasing the knife-thrower off and bringing the elephants in, it's time to choose. Either force this one or wait for the OTA to push it to your phone.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Unless this 01b build has the 22 build tweaks, and is as fast , I'll stay with the 22 build.
    22 build is faster , smoother , and has better battery life , why would I change ?
    To Droid or not to Droid is no longer a question , DROID!
  5. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1555 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    I find it amazing that if you ask a question on rooting you get an instant answer, if not...

There really is no definitive answer SSHGuru until somebody that has used both versions ventures in here to give you an answer.

Theoretically it should be a cleaner install because it is a complete ROM rather than just an update to certain files.

In my opinion I will say that this version is "better" because of the "cleaner" install.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1linuxfreak View Post
    Unless this 01b build has the 22 build tweaks, and is as fast , I'll stay with the 22 build.
    22 build is faster , smoother , and has better battery life , why would I change ?
    Well for one, build 22, whatever it is, is only for root users. A lot of stock users are curious about this b/c they forced last weeks' OTA, and now are (understandably) unsure what to do.

Guidelines of Conduct
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I've actually been waiting for your answer

So if I have 2.2 from last week the only way to install the new one would be to root, go back to 2.1, unroot, then go back to installing the new 2.2?

Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post

There really is no definitive answer SSHGuru until somebody that has used both versions ventures in here to give you an answer.

Theoretically it should be a cleaner install because it is a complete ROM rather than just an update to certain files.

In my opinion I will say that this version is "better" because of the "cleaner" install.
  8. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1555 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    Yes go back to 2.0 or 2.1 (it does not matter) then boot into recovery and install this.

You don't have to unroot to install. Do keep in mind that this version WILL break root.
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    I've actually been waiting for your answer

So if I have 2.2 from last week the only way to install the new one would be to root, go back to 2.1, unroot, then go back to installing the new 2.2?

Oh I see how it is! (Igot my info from CK in IRC actually, so I was in the same boat as you )

You technically don't have to root, but you do have to use rsdlite to flash back. At least I can't think of another way at this point...

Guidelines of Conduct
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member

+1. There's a reason why people flash three times while installing ROMs over top of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1linuxfreak View Post
    Well for one, build 22, whatever it is, is only for root users. A lot of stock users are curious about this b/c they forced last weeks' OTA, and now are (understandably) unsure what to do.
    Also +1.

To make it as simple as possible to clear up any confusion -- if you already updated you're current. Heck, you're ahead of the curve (for the next week). Unless you have an issue that you think is directly related to the update you don't need to do anything. If there is an issue you'll need to roll your phone back to install this or receive this OTA.

SBF to root and to unroot - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

That will set you right up. Just be careful.

If you've not already updated, either use this to update or wait for the OTA. It's the same either way.
Page 5 of 125 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Links