DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Verizon smartphones consume 25% more data than iPhones, according to study

1. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member

Verizon smartphones consume 25% more data than iPhones, according to study

Both AT&T and Verizon have recently been expressing woes that their smartphone users consume too much data. As such, AT&T has already imposed tiered-data plans to its 3G customers. And many ultimately believe that by the time LTE rolls out (mid-November is our best guess), Verizon will do just the same. So how much data are Verizon and AT&T customers really consuming? Is it such an outlandish figure that would eventually bring these networks to their knees? And finally, how does Verizon smartphone customers compare to iPhone users in data consumption?

Validas, an independent research firm, tackled these questions in their latest survey of the four major carriers. Between 2009 and 2010, the amount of data users went up from 42% to 53%. Also, the average data usage went up from 96.8 MB to 145.8 MB. Verizon Wireless customers showed the largest percentage increase in data usage, from 48.2MB to 147.2 MB per user. And the amount of data users increased from 33.4% to 42.9%. On the other hand, AT&T led the four major carriers with 71% of users consuming data, up from 58.4% last year; the average AT&T user consumed 149.6 MB per month.

So that's for all phones in general. What about smartphones, specifically? Validas discovered that Verizon smartphone users on average "are consuming more wireless data than AT&T iPhones by a ratio of roughly 1.25:1." Real world values have the average Verizon smartphone user consuming 421 MB, as opposed to iPhone users averaging 338 MB, per month. Also, "nearly twice as many Verizon Wireless smartphone users are consuming 500MB to 1GB per month compared to AT&T iPhone users." Verizon, are you really crying over the fact that the average user consumes 421 MB per month? Give me a break.

So, in conclusion, Verizon Wireless smartphone users consume 25% more data on average than their iPhone counterparts. What does this signify? AT&T users rely more on WiFi because of reception issues? Verizon users tend to stream media more often? We can't say for sure. What we can say, that Verizon Wireless will surely use figures such as these to validate a move to tiered data pricing.

via Engadget
    source Validas

Image courtesy of Mobile Tech World
    Last edited by wuyanks; 07-30-2010 at 12:50 PM.
    GTalk: mabramson1@gmail.com
    twitter: @m_abramson

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    But that is averaging ALL verizon smartphones against ONE competitor...i'm no math whiz, but that's like tallying the gas consumption for KIA owners and setting it against the average gas consumption of everyone who owns a GM brand car. Skewed.

Sent from my DROIDX
  4. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by validoption View Post
    But that is averaging ALL verizon smartphones against ONE competitor...i'm no math whiz, but that's like tallying the gas consumption for KIA owners and setting it against the average gas consumption of everyone who owns a GM brand car. Skewed.

Sent from my DROIDX
    it's still an average, per user. i don't get your point.
    GTalk: mabramson1@gmail.com
    twitter: @m_abramson
  5. The GRD Dev Team
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Twitter
    THEGRDDEVTEAM
    Phone
    HTC Evo 3D Virgin Mobile
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Well is it are fault as verizon Customers we have better service/signal strength to atat
    WoZzY
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by wuyanks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by validoption View Post

Sent from my DROIDX
    it's still an average, per user. i don't get your point.
    Yes, it's an average per user. What i am saying is that the averages for each company are not comparable unless the sample bases are equivalent in number. That is one of many reasons why statistics are misleading.

Sent from my DROIDX
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    I'd say a decent amount of the data usage comes from the rooting community by downloading roms that are about 60-100mb a piece, looking at websites that have flash animations and tethering...
    How To: Compiling a Custom Version of Clockwork Mod Recovery
    <-- Lockscreen

ROM: Incredibly Re-Engineered v2.3
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by brando56894 View Post
    I'd say a decent amount of the data usage comes from the rooting community by downloading roms that are about 60-100mb a piece, looking at websites that have flash animations and tethering...
    yep, i was at around 2gb's last month. a lot of that was different roms, and tethering.... But then again when i was on att with my iphone 3g i was using 4gb's a month (i didnt have internet at the time so i tethered almost exclusively)
    Running 2.2 BB v.4.... I love this phone
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @kaiyel1
    Phone
    Samsung Note 3 (t-mo)
    This is not hard to figure out. All these smartphones are connected to the interweb! Consistently people are checking emails, looking at video stuff and downloading whatever. Just what did these companies expect from web based phones?
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @kaiyel1
    Phone
    Samsung Note 3 (t-mo)
    Also iPhone is AT&T only damn phone worth using. VZW has multiple Droids all being used. That right there is the 25%.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC ReZound
    Quote Originally Posted by brando56894 View Post
    I don't think that the number of people that root and teather bandwidth is really significant. I was at a boyt Scout meeting wednesday and all us parents were all looking at each others new smartphones. 2 new Droids, my Dinc, one iPhone 3Gs and some unit running winmo 6.1. I garentee none of them had rooted phones, let alone knew anything about rooting or jailbraking. I just don't think there is a large enough community to put a load on there system.

Chris
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links