There's no doubt that the Android Market needs to be revamped. The main complaint with the Market is that a large percentage of those 70,000+ apps are junk, and it's almost impossible to wade through all the garbage before you find an app you're looking for. Sites like AppBrain and Androlib try to make the experience a bit more bearable with advanced search features, but these alternative databases are not 100% complete. What is interesting about these databases, however, is that trends can be monitored and reported. So what about a report that studies the percentage of junk apps on the Market? AppBrain's latest study does just that. Take a look at a graph of the most popular apps:
The first interesting finding is that an Android user on average has 65 apps installed. Next, AppBrain lists the ten most popular apps (along with the percentage of phones that have the app installed):
The report continues, by delving into the "junk app" dilemma.
This may be a confusing statement. What I'd take from this information, is that the 5,500 most popular apps (8% of total) are installed on more phones than the other 64,500 apps (92% of total)."The 5,500 most popular apps were each installed on more than 0.1% of the phones. In other words, the other 64,500 apps (92% of the total) have an install base of less than 0.1% of all phones."
Now, AppBrain attempts to attack the percentage of junk apps head-on. Check out a graph of all apps vs low-quality apps:
So, out of roughly 70,000 apps available, 30,000 are low-quality, or "junk" (curious about AppBrain's algorithms? Read here). Clearly there is an issue with low-quality and junk apps pervading the Android Market. And there is no stopping the accumulation of junk, until Google steps up and revamps the Market. But a fundamental question remains: Is a strict approval process necessary, or would better filtering suffice?
Source: AppBrain Blog