DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [New] Motorola responds to Droid X rumors, promises eFuse won't destroy phone

1. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member

[New] Motorola responds to Droid X rumors, promises eFuse won't destroy phone

Over the past week, rumors have been swirling in regards to the eFuse chip, and the possible ramifications of attempting to install custom software on your Droid X. Alarmists in the Android community went as far to say that if one were to install a custom ROM or kernel, attempt root, or hack the bootloader, the "eFuse" chip would trigger a hardware malfunction on your phone. Others argued that the eFuse chip is not a new technology at all, and has been used in many other smartphones, including the Moto Droid, Milestone, and HTC Incredible; that the only limitation with the Droid X lies in the encrypted bootloader.

Motorola has kept its silence about the "eFuse" situation, until now. Engadget reached out to Motorola with these issues, and today James King, Marketing Director for Motorola, finally responded:

"Motorola's primary focus is the security of our end users and protection of their data, while also meeting carrier, partner and legal requirements. The Droid X and a majority of Android consumer devices on the market today have a secured bootloader. In reference specifically to eFuse, the technology is not loaded with the purpose of preventing a consumer device from functioning, but rather ensuring for the user that the device only runs on updated and tested versions of software. If a device attempts to boot with unapproved software, it will go into recovery mode, and can re-boot once approved software is re-installed. Checking for a valid software configuration is a common practice within the industry to protect the user against potential malicious software threats. Motorola has been a long time advocate of open platforms and provides a number of resources to developers to foster the ecosystem including tools and access to devices via MOTODEV at http://developer.motorola.com."
    So, it seems that the eFuse chip rumor has been official squashed by Motorola. Everyone can now breathe a sigh of relief, as it won't trigger a hardware (or software) malfunction. Instead, as with any bootloader, the Droid X's encrypted bootloader will check if a device is attempting to boot unapproved software. If the software is indeed unapproved, the Droid X will not flash anything. It will boot into recovery mode, from where you can reboot back into the Android OS.

So as a final wrap-up, are the conspiracy theorists yet convinced? And does this development spark any new interest in purchasing the Droid X?

Source Engadget
    Last edited by wuyanks; 07-16-2010 at 10:54 AM.
    GTalk: mabramson1@gmail.com
    twitter: @m_abramson

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Called that way before now. Too many panicked about this, even when our own Droid has eFuse ...
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid + CyanogenMod 5.0.6.2
    moto needs to approve cyanogen so we can load that then :P lol
    For Android news, updates, links to roms and more check out http://www.tekhawk.com

And for news on my future Launcher themes once I find the time to start theming them again.
  5. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TekHawk View Post
    lol, that would be something.
    GTalk: mabramson1@gmail.com
    twitter: @m_abramson
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Well good deal... now people can quit opening new threads on the subject.
    "Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid + CyanogenMod 5.0.6.2
    Quote Originally Posted by wuyanks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TekHawk View Post
    lol, that would be something.
    Thinking about recommending this to them to be honest if they only want approved software running maybe they should just approve the most widely used community mod and make everyone happy right?
    For Android news, updates, links to roms and more check out http://www.tekhawk.com

And for news on my future Launcher themes once I find the time to start theming them again.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid X

Flashing OH MY

with this news that the efuse poses no threat to the X and that the Droid one has the efuse and taking into account that the boot loader on the X is encrypted. does this mean that once the encryption is broken and a new recovery is flashed to the X similar to how a droid flashes roms are root and custom roms likely on the X anytime soon
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    team bamf 1.25
    franco francisco milestone 3 kernel
    love this phone best android phone yet
    custom roms and some apps fixed audio issue nexus is perfect now
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    SPH-L710
    So the X is rootable then? I know that's not a word but I'm just saying.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    If you feel strongly about open handsets and ownership please go to this link:

Response from the FSF and a possible alternative legal recourse

I apologize for sounding like a broken record.
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy S 3
    Well, now i can consider bying the freaking phone later on.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links