Any old-school Xbox modders around? I'm sure this one will appeal to you. The official XBMC Remote for Android has just been released on the Android Market. This project has been in the works for quite some time, but hasn't been made widely available until now. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but from the screenshots and feature list, it looks simply awesome.
With XBMC Remote for Android, you will be able to remotely control multiple instances of XBMC connected to your WiFi network. The UI is designed to resemble the old-school XBOX DVD Dongle. It takes a little while to set up, but if you follow the step-by-step guide, you should be able to figure it out. Note, this app will not stream audio or video to your device, but these features may become implemented in the future. The current purpose of XBMC Remote is to acts as a wireless remote control for your PC or gaming system with XBMC installed. Android 1.5 and XBMC 9.11 are both required.
- Remote control with the look of the Xbox' DVD Dongle
- Control XBMC's volume directly with your device's volume buttons
- Fast access to items in list via hard- or soft keyboard (long-press Menu)
- Manage multiple XBMC instances
- Live view of currently playing playlist
- Notification bar shows what's playing with direct access to "Now playing" screen (can be disabled)
- Large screen (854x480) support, while maintaining 1.5 compatibility
- On incoming call, display who's calling on TV screen and pause video until call is over
- On incoming message, display on TV screen
- Setting that prevents your phone locking the screen. You can apply it either for remote control only or all screens (or disable it completely)
- Tabs looking and behaving like HTC's Sense UI, also check out the Gallery.
- Ultra fast cover download for recent XBMC builds (>r27770)
- Texture support for HTC Tattoo, Google Nexus One as well as Motorola's Droid/Milestone.
- Cover art is shown where available
- Now playing screen allows skipping, seeking, stop and pause
- Browse by album, artist, genre
- XBMC's "Hide artists who appear only on compilations" setting is taken into account when listing artists
- Within a genre, browse by albums, artists and songs
- List all albums and songs of an artist
- Browse compilations only
- Browse files directly
- Sort by album, artist, title, track number etc..
- Play and queue albums, songs, genre selections and much more directly without having to turn on your TV. For instance it's possible to queue/play all songs from an artist but of a certain genre.
- Primitive listing of current playlist with options to jump to another song or remove a song.
- Browse by title, actors, genre.
- Display all movies of a genre or with an actor.
- Displays movie poster and actor thumbs where available.
- Play trailer from details page where available.
TV Shows Library¶
- Browse by show, season, episode or by actors and genre.
- Dynamic thumb rendering with wide banner support
- Displays episode and show details
Source Android XBMC Remote Project, XBMC