DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Root has arrived for US Galaxy S phones!

1. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member

Root has arrived for US Galaxy S phones!

Well that didn't take long. Shortly after its international launch, the Samsung Galaxy S has fallen victim to the development community! Thanks to some usual culprits, the Galaxy S has been successfully hacked and root was attained. Leshack, of SamDroid, was the originator of the international Galaxy S hack, and the XDA community has ported his hack to the US versions. Currently tested to work on the AT&T Captivate and T-Mobile Vibrant, those at XDA believe that a few small modifications to the script will allow it to work on the Sprint Epic 4G and Verizon Fascinate as well.

Paul O'Brien, of Modaco.com, has already created a custom ROM and ROM kitchen for the international Galaxy S, but will likely need to be modified to work on the US versions.

How to get your phone rooted? All it takes is to flash an update.zip, which will give you su permissions, busybox, and Superuser.apk. Download the Vibrant update.zip here. The Captivate update.zip can be found here. People have had success with these update.zips, but I would be careful what I flash on my phone without double- and triple-checking. Follow the XDA thread for updates and support.

This is certainly exciting news for anyone interested in purchasing a Galaxy S Series phone. So, how long before we see some FroYo on a US Galaxy S?

via AndroidandMe
    source SamDroid, Modaco, XDA

Thanks to Darkseider for the tip!
    Last edited by wuyanks; 07-13-2010 at 02:28 PM.
    GTalk: mabramson1@gmail.com
    twitter: @m_abramson

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Awesome! I swear I read that somewhere else on this forum...
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  4. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member
    DarkSeider, thanks for the tip. Everyone, follow the discussion here:

U.S. Galaxy S Variants ROOTED!
    GTalk: mabramson1@gmail.com
    twitter: @m_abramson
  5. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Premium Member
    This makes me want one now! It has everything i wanted, except a slower processor, but this could help me wait it out till LTE phones start rolling. Seriously considering this one...
    -----------------------------------
    Rom: CyanogenMod 7 Winner00's Nightly #85
    Recovery: ClockworkMod 3.1.0.2
    Kernel: Prime's deprimed_test
    Theme: Stock
    Launcher: ADW EX 1.2.2
    Launcher Theme: Gingerbread
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/ihaztehwingz

6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanknspank View Post
    This makes me want one now! It has everything i wanted, except a slower processor, but this could help me wait it out till LTE phones start rolling. Seriously considering this one...
    Slower processor? The Hummingbird SoC in the Galaxy S phones are all clocked at 1 Ghz and have a better GPU, PowerVR SGX 540 vs. the PowerVR SGX 530 in the Droid X.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  7. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkseider View Post
    Slower processor? The Hummingbird SoC in the Galaxy S phones are all clocked at 1 Ghz and have a better GPU, PowerVR SGX 540 vs. the PowerVR SGX 530 in the Droid X.
    I said I wouldn't upgrade until a 2Ghz/Dual core processor phone came out, so this is slower than i was going for

8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I said I wouldn't upgrade until a 2Ghz/Dual core processor phone came out, so this is slower than i was going for
    Ah OK. I am in the same boat you are. I am waiting for Cortex A-9 based units to come out before I consider upgrading. Before I even get a Cortex A-9 based handset it will have to be rooted as well. Otherwise I won't touch it. Seems that the Galaxy S line of phones with their easy root will fast become the new favorite. Especially considering they will be available across all national carriers and even some smaller regional carriers.

9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Sammy Fascinate
    Damn what is the release date for the VZW version. I needs one nao!

Portfolio
    | My Twitter
    -------------------------------------------------
    Phone: Samsung Fascinate
    Rom: 2.2.1
    Recovery: CM 2.5.1.0
    Theme: Minimalistic
    -------------------------------------------------
    Phone: Motorola Droid 1 [SOLD]
    Theme: Dark Edge

10. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Premium Member

Ah OK. I am in the same boat you are. I am waiting for Cortex A-9 based units to come out before I consider upgrading. Before I even get a Cortex A-9 based handset it will have to be rooted as well. Otherwise I won't touch it. Seems that the Galaxy S line of phones with their easy root will fast become the new favorite. Especially considering they will be available across all national carriers and even some smaller regional carriers.
    My next phone was a 3.7-4 inch screen, with a dual core processor (2ghz anyone?), and no keyboard. This has everything I want, minus the processor, so it could help me old off until the LTE capable phones are release.

11. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    TP2 - Droid X on the 15th!
    But the processor in the Galaxy S won't run as efficiently and will use more power than the X due to the fabricating process. And I'd also lay money that the Galaxy will run slower than the X in benchmarks.

Besides, the Galaxy S has a smaller screen, smaller camera, no camera flash. Better GPU is the only thing the Galaxy S has over the X. Everything else is sub-par when the Galaxy S is compared to the X.
    -Matt-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links