DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quake 2 GPU Test - Samsung Galaxy S vs HTC Desire [Video]

1. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member

Quake 2 GPU Test - Samsung Galaxy S vs HTC Desire [Video]

The Samsung Galaxy S line, which was introduced to all four major US carriers last week, has been receiving much buzz behind its Hummingbird processor. The Hummingbird SoC houses an impressive CPU/GPU combination (1ghz Cortex-A8 CPU + PowerVR SGX540 GPU), which is arguably the most powerful hardware for any smartphone on the market today.

And we all know that HTC's top-of-the-line smartphones, including the Desire, Incredible, and Evo 4g, are all running the 1ghz Snapdragon processor with the Adreno GPU (AMD z430). So, how does the Hummingbird stack up against HTC's Snapdragon/Adreno combo? Well thanks to a Youtube user by the name of androidsbands2010, we are able to compare how well both chips handle 3D gaming. The video displays the HTC Desire and the Samsung Galaxy S, side-by-side, concurrently running the Quake II port for Android. And to no surprise, the Hummingbird substantially outperforms the Snapdragon. Check out the video below:

What do you guys think? Is this enough to sway you toward a Galaxy S? Let us now.

via Android Central
    source Youtube
    GTalk: mabramson1@gmail.com
    twitter: @m_abramson
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid hacked
    Quote Originally Posted by wuyanks View Post

The Samsung Galaxy S line, which was introduced to all four major US carriers last week, has been receiving much buzz behind its Hummingbird processor. The Hummingbird SoC houses an impressive CPU/GPU combination (1ghz Cortex-A8 CPU + PowerVR SGX540 GPU), which is arguably the most powerful hardware for any smartphone on the market today.

And we all know that HTC's top-of-the-line smartphones, including the Desire, Incredible, and Evo 4g, are all running the 1ghz Snapdragon processor with the Adreno GPU (AMD z430). So, how does the Hummingbird stack up against HTC's Snapdragon/Adreno combo? Well thanks to a Youtube user by the name of androidsbands2010, we are able to compare how well both chips handle 3D gaming. The video displays the HTC Desire and the Samsung Galaxy S, side-by-side, concurrently running the Quake II port for Android. And to no surprise, the Hummingbird substantially outperforms the Snapdragon. Check out the video below:

YouTube - ???S vs HTC Desire 3D ?? ??, Galaxy S

What do you guys think? Is this enough to sway you toward a Galaxy S? Let us now.

via Android Central
    source Youtube
    Looks alot less stud, studd, studdderish to meee. I guess Id consider it..
    Sent from my computer with my keyboard.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr HD Maxx
    This looks like a sweet phone and the specs are impressive, but I'm sticking to my Moto Droid. Being the nerd that I am, rooting and trying to different ROMs is important to me. I would prefer to wait and see if custom ROM developers get behind this phone?
    I'm assuming that unless you grab the source from google yourself than compile it, than you're going to be stuck with the stock ROM. Is that right?
  4. him
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Yeah but a phone that doesnt need to be rooted!!! Why do you root? I root to increase speed, if there is no longer a need for me to root with a device like this...any footage of quake 2 on droid X?
  5. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by him View Post
    Yeah but a phone that doesnt need to be rooted!!! Why do you root? I root to increase speed, if there is no longer a need for me to root with a device like this...any footage of quake 2 on droid X?
    good question, i hope somebody can post one eventually. in my experience, quake 2 runs great on the Droid 1, i'm sure it runs as well, if not better on the X
    GTalk: mabramson1@gmail.com
    twitter: @m_abramson
  6. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    338 times
    Twitter
    garemlin
    Phone
    LG G2 - Nexus 7 v2
    Premium Member
    Never thought much about gaming on a phone but with the new bigger screens and fluid gameplay like that I just might be interested.

So where does one find games like that for our phones???
  7. him
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    shenanigans!!!! Here is quake on the Droid with no lag. Guy sucks but game play seems fluid. Where did this footage come from

DROID DOES QUAKE 2 and 3 (Phone Arena News)
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr HD Maxx
    I root to try all the cool roms out there. overclocking for some extra speed is a bonus.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    an iphone clone..i will have none of that tyvm
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung something or other
    Quote Originally Posted by him View Post
    shenanigans!!!! Here is quake on the Droid with no lag. Guy sucks but game play seems fluid. Where did this footage come from

DROID DOES QUAKE 2 and 3 (Phone Arena News)
    Not really shens as the snapdragon SoC uses a weaker GPU than our OMAP based DROIDs or so I've read.

Would be interesting to see a DROID, or any other OMAP based phone, running next to it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links