DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 138 of 139 FirstFirst ... 38 88 128 136 137 138 139 LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 1390

Thread: More Froyo

  1. Premium Member
    hookbill's Avatar
    Member #
    10332
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    19,575
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    If you got SetCPU on the market it's legal. I was just making sure nobody thought I was warezing their favorite program.

    From what you've said it sounds like temperature is the most likely culprit here. I had issues the first time I tried to push past 1.1Ghz on mine because it was a flipping hot day and I'd been wifi tethering for a while so my battery as well as the CPU were both hot to begin with. 1.1 is the upper limit for my phone, heat-wise, and even then if I do heavy browsing I can overheat it. 1.0 is stable and cool all day long, so that's where I leave it.

    Oh, and make sure you're not running on performance mode all the time. If you're having any kind of heat issue to begin with that'll make it ten times worse.

    I'm not sure I like the new SetCPU, but I'll admit it gives the user a lot more control.

    Let us know how it behaves tomorrow once it's had a chance to really cool off.
    Could you explain how it gives the user more control? I see it as giving the user less control, specially with battery. Am I missing something?
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  2. Beta Team
    JonKyu's Avatar
    Member #
    4977
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Provo, UT
    Posts
    2,398
    Phone
    DROID X
    HI
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    If you got SetCPU on the market it's legal. I was just making sure nobody thought I was warezing their favorite program.

    From what you've said it sounds like temperature is the most likely culprit here. I had issues the first time I tried to push past 1.1Ghz on mine because it was a flipping hot day and I'd been wifi tethering for a while so my battery as well as the CPU were both hot to begin with. 1.1 is the upper limit for my phone, heat-wise, and even then if I do heavy browsing I can overheat it. 1.0 is stable and cool all day long, so that's where I leave it.

    Oh, and make sure you're not running on performance mode all the time. If you're having any kind of heat issue to begin with that'll make it ten times worse.

    I'm not sure I like the new SetCPU, but I'll admit it gives the user a lot more control.

    Let us know how it behaves tomorrow once it's had a chance to really cool off.
    Could you explain how it gives the user more control? I see it as giving the user less control, specially with battery. Am I missing something?
    it's the same as the old set cpu just looks different. You can still add in all you're profiles (battery and all the other profiles in the old version) and add in more if you see fit. You're no longer limited to the number of profiles the dev put.


    Sent from my Tapatalk using Droid
  3. Droid Ninja
    pdroid's Avatar
    Member #
    43531
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    2,253
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by JonKyu View Post
    HI
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    If you got SetCPU on the market it's legal. I was just making sure nobody thought I was warezing their favorite program.

    From what you've said it sounds like temperature is the most likely culprit here. I had issues the first time I tried to push past 1.1Ghz on mine because it was a flipping hot day and I'd been wifi tethering for a while so my battery as well as the CPU were both hot to begin with. 1.1 is the upper limit for my phone, heat-wise, and even then if I do heavy browsing I can overheat it. 1.0 is stable and cool all day long, so that's where I leave it.

    Oh, and make sure you're not running on performance mode all the time. If you're having any kind of heat issue to begin with that'll make it ten times worse.

    I'm not sure I like the new SetCPU, but I'll admit it gives the user a lot more control.

    Let us know how it behaves tomorrow once it's had a chance to really cool off.
    Could you explain how it gives the user more control? I see it as giving the user less control, specially with battery. Am I missing something?
    it's the same as the old set cpu just looks different. You can still add in all you're profiles (battery and all the other profiles in the old version) and add in more if you see fit. You're no longer limited to the number of profiles the dev put.


    Sent from my Tapatalk using Droid
    Agree, this new version is way more customizable.
  4. Super Moderator
    furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Member #
    78594
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Posts
    10,371
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Could you explain how it gives the user more control? I see it as giving the user less control, specially with battery. Am I missing something?
    Assigning your own priorities to each profile and having as many profiles as you want is pretty controllable. Having the ability to have more than three battery profiles is probably the biggest addition, but I don't see the need for more than three battery profiles in the first place. Then again, I'm really lucky to have one of the phones that only reports battery life in 10% increments (note the sarcasm on lucky.) I found it a pain to set up, especially when I saw the fact that there were three different charging options for the profiles.

    I'm sure some of the control freaks needed new shorts after getting the update, though.

    Without the option of a conservative- or powersave-based profile I still don't see how this is really all that advantageous to the end-user who is interested in extending battery life while still having the option of ramping their phone up to max speed if it's needed. Frankly, I'd rather have seen those options added back in, but I already voiced my opinion on the extra battery profiles.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Se7enLC's Avatar
    Member #
    5148
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,263
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    Without the option of a conservative- or powersave-based profile I still don't see how this is really all that advantageous to the end-user who is interested in extending battery life while still having the option of ramping their phone up to max speed if it's needed. Frankly, I'd rather have seen those options added back in, but I already voiced my opinion on the extra battery profiles.
    CPU frequency scaling governors are a function of your kernel, not of SetCPU. If conservative is missing, that is a result of it not being included in the kernel config - so I recommend trying a different kernel.

    powersave and performance are worthless on mobile devices. They just force your processor to run at the slowest and fastest speeds (which for a droid kernel is typically something like 250 Mhz and 1 Ghz). Running at 250Mhz all the time with no ability to ramp up would probably end up making your phone unresponsive, and running at 1.0Ghz with no ability to scale down would probably make it overheat.

    conservative and ondemand, however, are very useful, and I would like to urge anyone that makes and releases a kernel to include both of them.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  6. Super Moderator
    furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Member #
    78594
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Posts
    10,371
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    powersave and performance are worthless on mobile devices. They just force your processor to run at the slowest and fastest speeds (which for a droid kernel is typically something like 250 Mhz and 1 Ghz). Running at 250Mhz all the time with no ability to ramp up would probably end up making your phone unresponsive, and running at 1.0Ghz with no ability to scale down would probably make it overheat.

    conservative and ondemand, however, are very useful, and I would like to urge anyone that makes and releases a kernel to include both of them.
    I agree with performance being useless except for trying to get the highest Quadrant score possible, but some people run it 24/7 for some reason. Then again, some people think a Viper is a good commuter car. I beg to differ from your observation in that powersave ramped up for me under 2.1 using ChevyNo1's ULV kernels, it just did it much more conservatively.

    Speaking of ChevyNo1's kernels, I'm running his 1.0Ghz ULV kernel under FRF57. I thought when SetCPU moved up to 1.6.0 those options were removed, not that ChevyNo1 removed them from his FroYo kernels.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Se7enLC's Avatar
    Member #
    5148
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,263
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    [QUOTE=furbearingmammal;591709]
    I beg to differ from your observation in that powersave ramped up for me under 2.1 using ChevyNo1's ULV kernels, it just did it much more conservatively.

    Sounds like your governor wasn't working correctly or got reset to something else inadvertently:

    Linux Kernel Documentation :: cpu-freq : governors.txt

    The CPUfreq governor "powersave" sets the CPU statically to the lowest frequency within the borders of scaling_min_freq and scaling_max_freq.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  8. Super Moderator
    furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Member #
    78594
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Posts
    10,371
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    I see what you mean. Maybe under heavy demand the CPU can ramp up anyway, no matter what it says? Doesn't matter right now because without it included it's a moot point.

    I wonder why ChevyNo1 wouldn't include Conservative in his ULV kernels... I think I'll go ask or see if it's an issue with FRF57 like the CPU temperature monitoring.
  9. Super Moderator
    furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Member #
    78594
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Posts
    10,371
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    He says he's going to look at putting Conservative back in. Thanks for the heads-up! I thought it was FroYo messing with my phone!
  10. Master Droid
    MdicnMan's Avatar
    Member #
    2709
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    401
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Motrola Droid Razr Maxx HD

    Froyo Native Email App - Select All?

    I haven't gotten to getting a 2.2 build loaded but will definitely be pushed to do it if someone can tell me if the 'select all' or 'delete all' or at least 'empty trash' option has been added to the native email client?

    I shake my head everytime I go in to an email folder and see the menu option of "Delselect All" when any emails are checked off. Deselect All? Really? but no 'Select All'?


    JJ
    Life is too short to settle for mediocrity.


    Current - Razr Maxx HD

    RETIRED - OG Droid, Droid Bionic
Page 138 of 139 FirstFirst ... 38 88 128 136 137 138 139 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. froyo rom!
    By smcdo123 in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 06:42 PM
  2. Froyo 2.2 ROM
    By movadoevo8 in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 03:19 PM
  3. Froyo?
    By darksiiide in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 10:12 PM
  4. Others have froyo why don't I?
    By phoenix1822 in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-23-2010, 09:59 PM

Search tags for this page

20100608-0521.zip
,

ally/froyo.zip

,
download froyo zip lg ally
,
download lego-rom.zip
,

froyo

,

lego-rom.zip

,
lg ally froyo.zip download
,
sollution of access denied of homerun battle 2
,
using #777 to hack lg ally
,
xyz frfxx
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+