DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Qualcomm's Dual-CPU Snapdragon CPU

1. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    352 times
    Twitter
    droidforums
    Premium Member

Qualcomm's Dual-CPU Snapdragon CPU

Today Qualcomm announced it's unleashing a new dual CPU snapdragon processor. I'm still impressed with the current snap dragon processor found in the HTC Droid Incredible, so I can only imagine what the next wave of Android phones will be like. Check out the full press release below:

Third-generation Snapdragon Solutions Feature Two Application Processor Cores Running up to 1.2 GHz to Enable Advanced Smartphones

TAIPEI, Taiwan – June 01, 2010 – Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leading developer and innovator of wireless technologies, products and services, today announced the Company has sampled its first dual-CPU Snapdragon™ chipsets. The Mobile Station Modem™ (MSM™) MSM8260™ and MSM8660™ solutions integrate two of the Company’s enhanced cores running at up to 1.2GHz. Targeted at enabling high-end smartphones, the MSM8x60 solutions are third-generation chipsets from the Company’s expanded Snapdragon platform, which has been powering smartphones, tablets and smartbook devices in markets around the world.

“Qualcomm’s first-generation Snapdragon chipsets set a new standard for advanced smartphones and smartbook devices, and our second-generation solutions are already shipping in volume,” said Steve Mollenkopf, executive vice president of Qualcomm and president of Qualcomm CDMA Technologies. “We are very excited by the innovation our customers are already showing as they begin designing products based on our dual-core MSM8260 and MSM8660 chipsets.”

The MSM8260 for HSPA+ and MSM8660 for multi-mode HSPA+/CDMA2000® 1xEV-DO Rev. B feature two enhanced CPU cores running at up to 1.2GHz for high levels of Web application and multimedia performance, including a powerful GPU with 3D/2D acceleration engines for Open GLES 2.0 and Open VG 1.1 accelration, 1080p video encode/decode, dedicated low power audio engine, integrated low power GPS, and support for 24-bit WXGA 1280 x 800 resolution displays.

Qualcomm’s Snapdragon family of chipset solutions includes:
    • First-generation products: QSD8x50™ with 1GHz enhanced core
    • Second-generation products: MSM8x55™ and QSD8x50A™ with 1GHz enhanced core, including multimedia optimizations and 1.3GHz enhanced core, respectively
    • Third-generation products: MSM8260, MSM8660 and QSD8672 with dual-CPU architecture featuring enhanced cores running at up to 1.2GHz and 1.5GHz, respectively

Source: Qualcomm

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    Nice but let's hope they prove to be much better than the first gen. Which they will still waiting on the ti equivalent
    Upgrade now or wait hmm that's the question
  4. him
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Damn....was going to get the new droid but i guess ill wait until this chip comes out...
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by him View Post
    Damn....was going to get the new droid but i guess ill wait until this chip comes out...
    You'll never have the latest and greatest for more than 6 months, from this point on. In 2011 we'll see dual-core procs from Qualcomm and Texas Instruments, each leapfrogging the other every six months. Probably only the iPhone will do once a year updates.
    OG Droid retired but serving as a wireless tablet now and then.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorolla Droid

This just starts a long time of waiting and never buying. The PC market is exactly the same, I bought brand new stuff for my build and a month later I was already old news haha. Eventually you just have to buy and be happy, because the tech will kick a** regardless.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorolla Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Droids View Post
    You'll never have the latest and greatest for more than 6 months, from this point on. In 2011 we'll see dual-core procs from Qualcomm and Texas Instruments, each leapfrogging the other every six months. Probably only the iPhone will do once a year updates.

haha looks like I got beat to it.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    hopefully these will be in a decent amount of phones come next year when I might upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by g8gt2012 View Post

This just starts a long time of waiting and never buying. The PC market is exactly the same, I bought brand new stuff for my build and a month later I was already old news haha. Eventually you just have to buy and be happy, because the tech will kick a** regardless.
    Isnt that the truth, I remember I ordered a motherboard once and it was backordered, once I finally got it the damn thing was obsolete already!
    How To: Compiling a Custom Version of Clockwork Mod Recovery
    <-- Lockscreen

ROM: Incredibly Re-Engineered v2.3
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Scopecreep!

This is great and all, but this doesn't mean they'll be on any Droid phone.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    On a Verizon Droid branded phone. I think you will see it who knows when but. The way Verizon is pushing high end phones you can bet their asking for. A phone to be built with this
    Upgrade now or wait hmm that's the question
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Fascinate
    wow dual-core. I'm guessing the overclock speeds will be amazing with that kind of power under the hood.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links