DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorola Shadow

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt soon GSIII
    Hey ck do we know any info on wether this is the droid 2 or just the shadow and if not do we know anything about the Droid 2?
    Galaxy SIII you are mine, I just wish you had a Holo theme.
  2. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1568 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kineo View Post
    Hey ck do we know any info on wether this is the droid 2 or just the shadow and if not do we know anything about the Droid 2?
    It's the Xtreme aka the "Shadow".....

As far as the Droid 2 goes read up on this thread. Other than it will be releasing around the same time as the Xtreme/Shadow there's not much more info than whats on the thread below.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...se-thread.html
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt soon GSIII
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kineo View Post
    It's the Xtreme aka the "Shadow".....

As far as the Droid 2 goes read up on this thread. Other than it will be releasing around the same time as the Xtreme/Shadow there's not much more info than whats on the thread below.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...se-thread.html
    Thanks this should help me
    Galaxy SIII you are mine, I just wish you had a Holo theme.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    shadow is looking better but. still outdoing my droid at 1.2 with jit just running 2.2 at 728 wonder how nice it would be to overclock it. will it touch the n1
    Upgrade now or wait hmm that's the question
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    This may be the first time a pay retail for a phone.....I cant se myself selling my Droid, but I want to play with that Shadow for a few months.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung something or other
    Quote Originally Posted by nphil View Post
    Comparison video between the OMAP 3430 and 3630 chipsets :
    YouTube - Texas Instruments 65nm OMAP3430 vs 45nm OMAP3630!

80% improvement in framerates!
    It's 600mhz vs 1ghz, which is good at showing the architecture scales well with die shrinks, but if you clock a 3430 to 1ghz you'd probably get similar performance. Although, not in the same power/heat envelope.

I believe we'll see a 3640@720mhz in the Shadow which while still a good jump in performance I think 2.2 on the old droid will keep me happy until and handset with dual core ARM-9 is available.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Cortex A9 drool. OMAP 4640's make me happy in the pants.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung something or other
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkseider View Post
    hah just saw I posted what you did earlier in the read. Guess I should have read it all the way through before I responded.

I saw that video and also linked the 3D gears .apk that was used. I also contacted the gentleman responsible for bringing GLX gears to the Android which was used in that video. Turns out that after speaking with him that the devices used in those tests were no locked to V-Sync. Which in english means they ran balls out. They were also running at stock speeds. IF the OMAP 3430 in the video were OC'd to run at the same speed as the OMAP 3630 the framerates would have been very comparable. The biggest bonus the OMAP 3630 will offer is power savings over the current 3430 in the Droid due to its' smaller manufacturing process and newer power savings schemes. Otherwise the base performance will be nearly identical to an equally clocked 3430.

Another note is that they also use the same GPU. So there will be little to any difference in performance there as well. The big difference will be the HD recording and HDMI out which is supported by the OMAP 3630 SoC.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    How does this news strike ya all?

Motorola to launch two smartphones on Verizon in July, says WSJ -- Engadget

Shadow and.. could it be... Droid 2?

Here's looking forward to a STELLAR July!
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by silentbob343 View Post
    hah just saw I posted what you did earlier in the read. Guess I should have read it all the way through before I responded.

I saw that video and also linked the 3D gears .apk that was used. I also contacted the gentleman responsible for bringing GLX gears to the Android which was used in that video. Turns out that after speaking with him that the devices used in those tests were no locked to V-Sync. Which in english means they ran balls out. They were also running at stock speeds. IF the OMAP 3430 in the video were OC'd to run at the same speed as the OMAP 3630 the framerates would have been very comparable. The biggest bonus the OMAP 3630 will offer is power savings over the current 3430 in the Droid due to its' smaller manufacturing process and newer power savings schemes. Otherwise the base performance will be nearly identical to an equally clocked 3430.

Another note is that they also use the same GPU. So there will be little to any difference in performance there as well. The big difference will be the HD recording and HDMI out which is supported by the OMAP 3630 SoC.
    Yeah I went digging for details on that one and also came up with this little tidbit of mathematical genius.

The Quadrant Benchmark that has the Shadow on it... Well let's just see how this stacks up, shall we?

Moto Droid running BB v1.0 @ 1.2 Ghz scores a 677
    Moto Droid running BB v1.0 @ 800 Mhz scores 445

Which comes out to roughly 55 points per 100 Mhz. Now let's extrapolate that some when compared to the Shadow. We can do this because we have a Nexus One running 2.1 as a baseline and running Froyo.

Nexus One w/ 2.1 approx. 500
    Nexus One w/ 2.2 approx. 1375

Which is a 2.75x improvement. Now comes the fun part!

The Shadow which is supposedly running a 3630 @ 720 Mhz would score roughly the same as the Droid @ 800. So we'll call it 450 for even numbers.

450 * 2.75 = 1237.5 and lo and behold on this graph:

Motorola Droid Shadow Gets Benchmarked; Leaves Everyone Else Behind!

The Shadow scores around 1200! So taking the above facts into account we can say with near absolute certainty that.

1. The OMAP 3630 and OMAP 3430 clock for clock is nearly identical in processing power.

2. The Motorola Shadow which is showed in this graph is running Android 2.2

3. The Motorola Droid running Android 2.2 will have identical performance to that of the Shadow at the same clock speed.

Whether or not it releases with Android 2.2 is still a guess but you can bet that it this benchmark was run with Android 2.2

Hope you enjoyed tonights little lesson!!
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Links