DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Has Apple Lost It's Cool

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkseider View Post
    "As long as Apple continues to churn out attractive, intuitive, consumer-friendly devices..."

That's the part that bothers me. Technology is supposed to simplify things but in the same sentence is supposed to advance the individual using the technology. Apple does a good job of simplifying but to the extent where instead of advancing the individuals knowledge of technology turns them into something that can be compared to a mushroom mentally. When the technology doesn't slightly challenge the user then the technology in general is malevolent. What good is a bunch of "George Jetson" button pushers as opposed to a generation of people who, at the very least, understands to even the simplest of levels the concepts and technology used in the devices they use. Not for nothing but this scares the hell out of me.
    Suffice to say that you'd be better off as an educator than as a marketer. I've been both and they call for different skills and viewpoints.

In fact I share at least some of your concerns, especially when I hear that one-third of teenagers send more than 3000 text messages a month and the focus on Flash animation far exceeds the interest in apps that enable people to read a book.

The difference between us, I think, is that you tend to be far more optimistic than I am about the direction consumer culture is headed. You seem to think that consumers will go out of their way to learn about this stuff. I don't.

But that's probably the difference between age, experience, and the resulting level of optimism.
    Believe it or not I don't think there is that much of a difference between us age wise. The optimism I have in hoping that the average consumer wakes up and wants to understand the technology involved is derived solely from the fact that after a while ignorance is not bliss. Most people realize this, too late sometimes, and are behind the curve but will eventually NEED to educate themselves to some extent in order to remain in the loop. Think about the whole, "My grandma uses email" mentality. She didn't HAVE to understand email but in order to get recent pictures of the kids she learned out of necessity.
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    "As long as Apple continues to churn out attractive, intuitive, consumer-friendly devices..."

That's the part that bothers me. Technology is supposed to simplify things but in the same sentence is supposed to advance the individual using the technology. Apple does a good job of simplifying but to the extent where instead of advancing the individuals knowledge of technology turns them into something that can be compared to a mushroom mentally. When the technology doesn't slightly challenge the user then the technology in general is malevolent. What good is a bunch of "George Jetson" button pushers as opposed to a generation of people who, at the very least, understands to even the simplest of levels the concepts and technology used in the devices they use. Not for nothing but this scares the hell out of me.
    Suffice to say that you'd be better off as an educator than as a marketer. I've been both and they call for different skills and viewpoints.

In fact I share at least some of your concerns, especially when I hear that one-third of teenagers send more than 3000 text messages a month and the focus on Flash animation far exceeds the interest in apps that enable people to read a book.

The difference between us, I think, is that you tend to be far more optimistic than I am about the direction consumer culture is headed. You seem to think that consumers will go out of their way to learn about this stuff. I don't.

But that's probably the difference between age, experience, and the resulting level of optimism.
    Yeah no kiding, I'm 22 so I'm slowly slipping out of that younger crowd I suppose but I can tell you that as a younger person, most of us are ignorant for the most part. Young people are literally as bad as senior citizens in some cases, very indifferent toward challenging situations. Thankfully I don't fall into this crowd and enjoy challenge and the opportunity to be a problem solver. I think you'll find that technology that challenges the average user will ultimately cause them to deviate to a simpler device, hence the phenomenal sales of the iPhone.

Fact is: most people WANT to be told what to do.

I think what seems to be drawing more and more people over to Android isn't the "challenge" but the bandwagon. There are multiple devices with various ranges of intuitiveness; some are fancier and more user-friendly, others are more stripped down and developer friendly. While this gives people more options, it also floods the market with a highly recognizable name and icon and technological envy ensues as people swallow up the advertising.

I'd say it was essentially choice that's allowing Android to slowly take over the market. Google and its affiliates are aiming to please everyone vs. creating one device and trying to mold the people. The same thing was done with Barbie and look at their sales lol!
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweettooth View Post

Yeah no kiding, I'm 22 so I'm slowly slipping out of that younger crowd I suppose but I can tell you that as a younger person, most of us are ignorant for the most part. Young people are literally as bad as senior citizens in some cases, very indifferent toward challenging situations. Thankfully I don't fall into this crowd and enjoy challenge and the opportunity to be a problem solver. I think you'll find that technology that challenges the average user will ultimately cause them to deviate to a simpler device, hence the phenomenal sales of the iPhone.

Fact is: most people WANT to be told what to do.

I think what seems to be drawing more and more people over to Android isn't the "challenge" but the bandwagon. There are multiple devices with various ranges of intuitiveness; some are fancier and more user-friendly, others are more stripped down and developer friendly. While this gives people more options, it also floods the market with a highly recognizable name and icon and technological envy ensues as people swallow up the advertising.

I'd say it was essentially choice that's allowing Android to slowly take over the market. Google and its affiliates are aiming to please everyone vs. creating one device and trying to mold the people. The same thing was done with Barbie and look at their sales lol!
    "I think you'll find that technology that challenges the average user will ultimately cause them to deviate to a simpler device, hence the phenomenal sales of the iPhone."

I have one question regarding this statement and it is a very valid one. Is the deviation from a challenging technology to a simpler technology a negative effect on technology?

People didn't deviate from the TRS-80, Micral N, Apple I, Apple II, 8086, 286, etc... They learned how to use them and the technology involved. In doing so more advanced, more powerful and easier to use technologies spawned from these very same people. Now that Apple has essentially created computing for idiots where is the desire to learn? The challenge and desire to improve that drove the industry to the point where it is at now. Don't get me wrong there are still those that love the challenge and strive to improve existing technologies. In doing so and essentially dumbing it down to the point of "button pushing" for the masses is it beneficial to future progress? Remember the masses are the ones that will some day be in the positions of those creating and improving said technology.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  4. Banned
    Member #
    Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bugless Beast 2.1 ROM @ 1.1GHz
    Android sales are skewed when comparing to Apple based on the fact that Apple is relegated to one carrier and Droid is all over giving people different options.

For example, EVERYONE here in my town has Verizon. ATT is worthless here...completely. So everyone with a smartphone has a Droid or BB of some fashion (Moto, HTC I, Eris, etc).

If you released both phones into the open market I think you would see Apple regain any ground lost.

I can't count how many people own a Droid or Eris or something because they would rather have that than switch to ATT. But if you do a search to see just how many people would love to have the iPhone on Verizon....it would really hurt Droid. I bet my paycheck that if the iPhone was offered to Verizon it would be sold out for months and probably even outsell the iPad, Droid, and Incredible combined.

So I agree...if you want to judge a true phone to phone then the Droid of some fashion needs to knock off the iPhone with ONE device.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Must everyone forgot that Windows Mobile is in the same boat as Android? Win Mo is all over, giving ppl different options. Why is no one complaining when the iPhone was dominating Win Mo?

The Windows Mobile Phones Showcase - Windows For Devices Articles - Windows for Devices

I do believe that WinMo is on waaay more phones than Android.....
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    So when it makes the iPhone look good, its fine....when it makes the iPhone look bad....its skewed, its not fair, its gotta be something wrong.....

Right.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Matth3w View Post
    Android sales are skewed when comparing to Apple based on the fact that Apple is relegated to one carrier and Droid is all over giving people different options.

For example, EVERYONE here in my town has Verizon. ATT is worthless here...completely. So everyone with a smartphone has a Droid or BB of some fashion (Moto, HTC I, Eris, etc).

If you released both phones into the open market I think you would see Apple regain any ground lost.

I can't count how many people own a Droid or Eris or something because they would rather have that than switch to ATT. But if you do a search to see just how many people would love to have the iPhone on Verizon....it would really hurt Droid. I bet my paycheck that if the iPhone was offered to Verizon it would be sold out for months and probably even outsell the iPad, Droid, and Incredible combined.

So I agree...if you want to judge a true phone to phone then the Droid of some fashion needs to knock off the iPhone with ONE device.
    The iPhone a platform made by Apple and the fact that it is only offered on ONE carrier and is ONE device is a choice made by Apple. Google being Google made the choice to offer a platform and NOT a product. Google let the market dictate what it wanted in terms of hardware. It seems that Google made the right move as Apple is doing all it can to try and discredit Android, Google and anything NOT an iPhad device. Apple has proven by its' words and actions that it is scared and rightfully so.

8. Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    I doubt they're scared. They just surpassed the Microsoft Corporation in capitalization today at about 245 a share.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Matth3w View Post
    I doubt they're scared. They just surpassed the Microsoft Corporation in capitalization today at about 245 a share.
    They are also under two anti-trust investigations as well as an FCC investigation. When these investigations go full bore expect to see Apple's stock price plummet.

10. Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    And Microsoft had the same issues, and yet here we are neck and neck.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Links