DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double Twist "iTunes for Android"

1. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member

Double Twist "iTunes for Android"

Android Market is finally getting a robust desktop presence. But we donít have to Google to thank for it ó itís coming from doubleTwist, the syncing software that allows you to sync your media with Android phones (it also supports myriad other devices). The new feature is launching today with the latest update of doubleTwist for Mac, and will be included with the Windows version soon. doubleTwist is also offering a web version of its Android Market directory, which you can access at doubleTwist Android Market.

Iíve made no secret of my dislike for the current version of Googleís official web presence for Android Market ó it offers a sampling of Androidís top apps, but itís ugly and doesnít offer a full listing of whatís available (it doesnít even offer a search function). There are some third-party web directories, like AndroidLib, but these donít offer the slick feel you get from a desktop application. doubleTwist comes closer than either of these options to matching the iTunes browsing experience, but it still isnít perfect.

The Android Market integration looks quite nice. Clicking the menu item in the left sidebar brings up a list of the top featured, paid, and free applications on Android Market. And, unlike Googleís official Market site, you can actually search using doubleTwistís version. Clicking on an app will bring up its description, screen shots, and reviews ó it looks a lot like the iTunes App Store interface, which isnít a bad thing.

However, doubleTwistís Market integration comes with a couple of issues. First, it doesnít include any application categories, like ĎGamesí or ĎCommunicationí (though this seems like it would be a fairly minor addition). The other issue is more problematic: you canít actually use doubleTwist to download and sync applications to your Android device. Instead, each entry on the Market features a QR code that you have to scan from your phone to bring up the appropriate item in Android Market.

doubleTwist co-founder Monique Farantzos says that the company plans to offer Over The Air downloads this summer (which would let you send apps to your device without having to bother with this QR code nonsense), and that the company has also approached Google about a way to make the experience more integrated and seamless. Still, even without OTA downloads, the Market integration looks slick.

source:Tech Crunch

Grab the free public beta below and post your comments.

Sync Android, PSP, BlackBerry, Pre: doubleTwist with Amazon MP3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Double Twist "iTunes for Android"-mainscreenshot.png  
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible
    I've been using this for a while. It isn't bad.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    awesome app, need to work on a few issues here and there, but awesome app.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Premium Member
    just installed it. simple to use need more podcast though
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Razr maxx
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I tried Double Twist and I lost a lot of album art and everything seemed to be a mess. I uninstalled it and now use iTunesAgent. This is free software that allows ANY device to be seen by iTunes and sync.

Install, set up your playlist, connect your device, and synchronize. Easy as pie and no mess!
  6. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Double Twist did an excellent job of transferring my music and pictures from my Mac to my Droid. Album covers and everything. I always recommend it.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid - SS 5.4
    Its probably a mistake on my part but DoubleTwist loaded ALL my mp3's on my computer onto my phone, not just the ones from iTunes. I think it just dumped everything in my music folder when I was expecting it to just do my itunes library. Can you imagine my horror when I looked at the music on my phone and my wifes stuff like Abba and Celine Dion were on my phone!!!!
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @crayzeejoe
    Phone
    Sprint Galaxy S3
    For the market, I prefer appbrain. It has better search functionality and categories.
    Droid Owner, Christ Follower,

Crayzee Joe

"When your song go off, I feel I need to take a drug test!" - My Radio On Drugs by Thi'sl
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Ugh, this thing takes forever to sync. I'm not sure why. I'm leaving it plugged in for hours and even then it says it didn't sync some stuff even though it's showing I still have 2GB left on the card.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by SigSoldat View Post
    I uninstalled it and now use iTunesAgent. This is free software that allows ANY device to be seen by iTunes and sync.

Install, set up your playlist, connect your device, and synchronize. Easy as pie and no mess!
    Does anyone know if you can watch digital copy movies ITUNES version with this app?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links