DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Motorola Droid hurts Palm

1. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    367 times
    Twitter
    droidforums
    Premium Member

Motorola Droid hurts Palm

Palm posted a net lost of $22million today and the outlook for the company appears to be just as grim. During the conference call Jon Rubinstein, Palm's chairman and CEO suggested that the Motorola Droid was a major ingredient for Palm's disappointed sales.

We had an arrangement with Sprint that when we launched with Sprint that they would invest in marketing and carry the product and for that they would get an exclusive for a period of time. That really determined when we could do our launch at Verizon. I agree with your premise that if we could have launched at Verizon earlier, prior to Droid, that we would have gotten the attention that the Droid got and since I believe that we have a better product, I think we would have even done better.
    Gizmodo reported a rumor that Palm could become an acquistion target for Google. Not necessarily for the current hardware or software but strictly for Palms' patents.

There are a myriad of other reasons too why it makes sense for Google to buy Palm and this looming patent war with Apple simply adds impetus to such a decision. Think about all of the good things that Google would get out of buying Palm. Google gets every tool which it currently lacks but needs to successfully try to compete with Apple in the smartphone and other post-PC businesses over the long haul.

First and foremost, Google gets all of Palm's patents and we know their patent pool is both large and effective. Palm has been at this for nearly twenty years, giving them lots of patents including some older patents which nicely counter any patent claims Apple could make. It could be very likely that the reason we've never seen any direct patent battles yet between Palm and Apple is because Apple's legal folks looked over the Palm portfolio and decided that Apple infringed on as many Palm patents as Palm did on Apple patents so that a patent war with Palm wasn't really a good idea.
    {Source: Engadget Gizmodo}
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid + CyanogenMod 5.0.6.2
    I would love to see Google buy Palm or them change platforms to Android
    For Android news, updates, links to roms and more check out http://www.tekhawk.com

And for news on my future Launcher themes once I find the time to start theming them again.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I've used a palm PDA (m500 model) to the Tungsten E to the Treo 700p and finally ended with the Palm Centro. I don't know how palm could possibly compete with what Motorola has produced with the Droid interface. Droid is far more advance then the palm could ever be in my opinion.
    #1 rule to follow ------- PAY IT FORWARD
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
    I've used a palm PDA (m500 model) to the Tungsten E to the Treo 700p and finally ended with the Palm Centro. I don't know how palm could possibly compete with what Motorola has produced with the Droid interface. Droid is far more advance then the palm could ever be in my opinion.
    Apparently you have never used a Palm Pre. WebOS is a VERY slick OS and if you didn't know it was a Palm you would swear it was Android.
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    webOS is the best Mobile OS hands down, I cant deny that. If Google bought Palm and merged Android with webOS it would be AMAZING
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by unix.punkx View Post
    ...If Google bought Palm and merged Android with webOS it would be AMAZING
    One could only hope...
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Google aims to conquer all. We'll have to start calling them GoogleSoft when they buy everyone out and create their own substitutes, thus monopolizing the market as well. No laws will be able to stop them though; they'll have a patent on the software that was used to write the laws.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @Sarreq
    Phone
    SammyGS3 / ParanoidAndroid2.54
    if palm is going to get bought out, I hope google does it before apple gets the same idea
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Fascinate
    Wow it would be amazing if Google bought palm lol. The palm pre was a really awesome phone. The WebOS was so smooth and lag free but it lacked support or devs to work on it so i switch to Droid but would be cool if Google bought Palm, then apple, then the world blahhahahah.
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    Palm has been TERMINATED. Next Target: Apple iPhone
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links