DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Samsung's Galaxy S5 Will Be Laughing at Apple's Retina with 560ppi 2K Display

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2079 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Samsung's Galaxy S5 Will Be Laughing at Apple's Retina with 560ppi 2K Display

In reality, there have been numerous Android products with displays which were improvements over the famous "Retina" display from Apple's iPhone and iPad line. Despite this, Samsung's new Galaxy S5 display might just blow the Retina display completely away and have Samsung laughing at Apple. There is now new intel which seems to confirm the previous rumors of a 2K (2560 x 1440 res) 5.25-inch display on Samsung's upcoming flagship. This would give it an eyeball busting gorgeous 560ppi screen.

The tiny little pic above was supposedly taken from an actual Galaxy S5, and it shows off some of the specs, most notably the display mentioned above. Although at these screen sizes, these ultra-brilliant high-res screens probably don't actually look that much different from each other to the average user, these numbers give hug marketing/PR bragging rights to the OEMs. If these specs turn out to be accurate, then Apple will need to at least match this technology with the iPhone 6 coming out later this year just to "keep up with the Joneses."

Source: BGR

For additional specific Samsung Galaxy S5 topics, be sure to check out our sister-site @GalaxyS5Forums.net and/or here is our dedicated DroidForums section here: Samsung Galaxy S5
    Last edited by dgstorm; 02-17-2014 at 11:04 AM.
    Narsil and wicked like this.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Razr HD
    Honest I think 2K display is overkill for phone. I know people said that about 1080p full HD a year ago. But I think full HD is good enough for most people.
    FoxKat likes this.
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    402 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by Bara65 View Post
    Honest I think 2K display is overkill for phone. I know people said that about 1080p full HD a year ago. But I think full HD is good enough for most people.
    Not even sure it was 1080p people were noticing but more colors & better contrast making the displays seem sharper.
    FoxKat likes this.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    I'll take one! (good thing I'm not most people!)
    wicked and cr6 like this.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Phone
    D1>D2>Inc2>Rez>Nexus>S3>IP5
    I agree....id rathet a 1080p display that looks awesome AND has a refresh rate of 120-240ghz. That would actually make your experience with the phone actually better.
    FoxKat likes this.
    Nexus 7 2 4.3 PA
    Unlocked and ROM'ed Note 3!!!!!
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    HTC Trophy
    I don't necessarily have anything against a 2K display, but at some point the spec war will have to stop. Can't a phone be improved without giving it a bigger screen with better resolution?
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    Quote Originally Posted by scott craft View Post
    I don't necessarily have anything against a 2K display, but at some point the spec war will have to stop. Can't a phone be improved without giving it a bigger screen with better resolution?
    I want it to keep going until we hit ludicrousK displays!

9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    402 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by scott craft View Post
    Yeah, I still say it's placebo - I know people swear they can tell a difference but more than 12 inches from your face you can't, and that's just science.

The cost of the phones doesn't bother me all that much (at least on contract), but it irritates me the component value being wasted on megapixels and PPI while ram and storage is hoarded like gold.

I think the MotoX came really close to being my ideal phone, basically coming down to a lack of storage. But with an unlimited data plan I'm thinking about it
    FoxKat likes this.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    HTC Trophy
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    Yeah, I still say it's placebo - I know people swear they can tell a difference but more than 12 inches from your face you can't, and that's just science.

The cost of the phones doesn't bother me all that much (at least on contract), but it irritates me the component value being wasted on megapixels and PPI while ram and storage is hoarded like gold.

I think the MotoX came really close to being my ideal phone, basically coming down to a lack of storage. But with an unlimited data plan I'm thinking about it
    Before I got my G2 I had a couple of phones with 720P screens and my wife has a Note 2. I can tell a difference in quality but not resolution, but I will say my eyes are poor. I just think phones can't keep getting bigger with each new generation.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links