DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Samsung's Galaxy S5 Will Be Laughing at Apple's Retina with 560ppi 2K Display

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    You can have your 2k screen with 4 hours screen time. I'll take my <1K screen and 10 hours screen time.
    combatmedic870 and FoxKat like this.
    Sony CM-B1201 > Samsung SCH-8500 > Motorola RAZR V3m > Samsung SCH-i760 > Motorola DROID X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Motorola Droid Razr Maxx > Droid Maxx
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    Blurp about battery from that Pocketnow article:

Oh! But what if things aren’t equal? More pixels means more power means dead batteries, right? Remember how the explosion in popularity of 1080p absolutely killedbattery life? … me neither. In fact, I get better battery life with my Nexus 5 this year than my Nexus 4 last year.Really, there are two factors to consider: pixel count, and screen size. Now, screen size is a real concern; early 2K displays promise to be phablet-sized, and the larger you get, the more power you’re going to draw. But pixel count? Pixel count – as far as an issue with battery consumption goes – is hugely overrated.It’s very easy to get swept away with this talk of 2K and 2560 x 1440 screens – big numbers, sure – but in a relative sense, it’s just not that big a change.When we moved from 720p displays to 1080p, we’re talking about an increase in pixel count of 125% – more than twice as many pixels.The difference between 1080p and 2K is much more conservative – it’s only an increase of about 78%. By all logic, the switch to 2K should have a comparatively smaller impact on power consumption than the move to 1080p did.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Phone
    Moto X / 4.4
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    Yeah, I still say it's placebo - I know people swear they can tell a difference but more than 12 inches from your face you can't, and that's just science.

The cost of the phones doesn't bother me all that much (at least on contract), but it irritates me the component value being wasted on megapixels and PPI while ram and storage is hoarded like gold.

I think the MotoX came really close to being my ideal phone, basically coming down to a lack of storage. But with an unlimited data plan I'm thinking about it

Couldn't have said it better.
    My ONLY perceived shortcoming of the X is the screen size. If Lenovo keeps the X's style/direction and adds a 5" 1080p screen to the mix I'll be a repeat customer.
    FoxKat likes this.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by tgyberg View Post
    Blurp about battery from that Pocketnow article:

Oh! But what if things arent equal? More pixels means more power means dead batteries, right? Remember how the explosion in popularity of 1080p absolutely killedbattery life? me neither. In fact, I get better battery life with my Nexus 5 this year than my Nexus 4 last year.Really, there are two factors to consider: pixel count, and screen size. Now, screen size is a real concern; early 2K displays promise to be phablet-sized, and the larger you get, the more power youre going to draw. But pixel count? Pixel count as far as an issue with battery consumption goes is hugely overrated.Its very easy to get swept away with this talk of 2K and 2560 x 1440 screens big numbers, sure but in a relative sense, its just not that big a change.When we moved from 720p displays to 1080p, were talking about an increase in pixel count of 125% more than twice as many pixels.The difference between 1080p and 2K is much more conservative its only an increase of about 78%. By all logic, the switch to 2K should have a comparatively smaller impact on power consumption than the move to 1080p did.
    So taking all those numbers into consideration in order for phone to maintain same battery endurance as previous model it needs to increase its battery size by 78%. As a previous model had battery size of 2600mah, new model needs to have at least 4600mah. As it comes with only 2900mah battery, expect your screen time be significantly reduced.
    Sony CM-B1201 > Samsung SCH-8500 > Motorola RAZR V3m > Samsung SCH-i760 > Motorola DROID X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Motorola Droid Razr Maxx > Droid Maxx
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by xeene View Post
    So taking all those numbers into consideration in order for phone to maintain same battery endurance as previous model it needs to increase its battery size by 78%. As a previous model had battery size of 2600mah, new model needs to have at least 4600mah. As it comes with only 2900mah battery, expect your screen time be significantly reduced.
    I haven't seen anything saying how much more power the pixels draw - power drain may be linear relative to screen size (ignoring other tech improvements to offset), but 2 "smaller" 2k pixels don't draw anything like double the power of a "larger" 720p pixel.

So no idea what the difference really is, but it would have to be incorrect to say 78% more pixels on a 5" screen draw 78% more power than the same size 1080p display. Your lighting up the same surface area, so I think the power drain would come from the CPU/gpu pushing more pixels, and of course CPU usage pales in comparison to display battery drain.

My complete guess would be about 10% more power drain on a 2k display vs. 720p, but if you also increase the display size by 30% then you're talking about a pretty significant increase in power consumption.
    FoxKat likes this.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Being that the S5 has a new processor AND a larger battery, (not to mention KitKat, which improves on power consumption) there's no doubt this new 2K display will do just fine in the battery life area. I'm a spec junky myself so I say, keep it coming! As long as it gets me through the better part of a workday, battery life is the least of my worries. I'm almost always near an AC outlet and during those long wknds when I would like 2 days worth of battery life, there will always be extended replacement batteries... which I'm sure will be hitting the market very soon.
    Unlike the fruit phones, Android gives the consumer tons of options to make every user happy, whether it be the Droid Maxx which offers superior battery life to the pure Google goodness of the Nexus line, we've got it good, whatever your needs (and wants) may be.
    Smartphones are the new PC, and we all know how long that battle lasted. Manufacturers will continue pushing the spec envelope for many years to come, and I like it!

tap'n
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Razr HD
    I have no doubt that S5 with QHD 2k screen will do fine with battery given all these advances in hardware and OS. But if it's equipped with full HD with the same spec, it will run faster, smoother as CPU/GPU will push much less number of pixels. And though it won't be like 78% difference just based on pixel count, there will be battery gain too.

Seems like there will be two versions, standard with full HD and premium with 2K display. If specs are similar besides screen resolution, I will pick cheaper standard version. Full HD screen should be sharp enough for me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links