Here's an outside the box idea which might actually prove useful. LG announced they are working on an app/service called HomeChat which will let you carry on SMS chats with your LG appliances. That's right, sometime in 2014 LG plans to give you the ability to communicate directly with your washer and dryer, oven, refrigerator or robotic vacuum cleaner via text messages. Although it sounds goofy at first, the app will actually let you command any of LG's 2014 Smart Appliance lineup with natural language commands via a text message.
Here's a quick breakdown of how this might prove useful:
- One example lets you tell your devices, "I'm going on vacation," which will put your refrigerator into power-savings mode and program the robotic vacuum cleaner.
- The app can also show a history of your robotic vacuum's cleaning trips.
- Additionally, users can use the LCD panel on their fridge or their smartphones through the LG Smart Refrigerator app to check what’s inside without opening the door.
- The app can even recommend recipes via the smart oven.
- Users can download up-to-date wash cycles to suit their personal needs.
It's pretty amazing just how fast we are moving toward the "Iron Man - Jarvis" concept of home interactivity. I wonder if we can program these devices to be as snarky as Jarvis?
We should see more details about this tech at CES in January.